Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last year's hit game Tomb Raider, which was critically praised for successfully re-imagining iconic video game character Lara Croft for modern times, is finally available on Mac. The Mac version of the action adventure game, which was ported by Feral Interactive, arrives just under a year after it first launched on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

tombraidermac.png
When a young Lara Croft is shipwrecked on an uncharted island, she enters a fight for survival armed with nothing but her instincts. Help Lara perfect her natural gifts as she embarks on a perilous journey to save her friends and escape the island's murderous inhabitants.

Scavenge vital resources, upgrade Lara's gear and improve her exploration, combat and survival skills to fight back against vicious enemies. Jump and climb through dense forests, treacherous mountains and WWII bunkers to discover how an ordinary young woman became Lara Croft, Tomb Raider.
The game launches exclusively on the Mac App Store today, and will arrive on other digital storefronts, like Steam, on January 30. Although Tomb Raider is primarily known for its single-player campaign, it has an online multiplayer component. That multiplayer is not available on the version purchased from the Mac App Store. Players who wish to play online multiplayer will have to purchase the game on Steam, as the game requires a Steam account to take part in its Mac-to-Mac only online play.

Players will need Mac OS X 10.9.1, 14GB of free hard drive space, 4GB RAM, a 512MB graphics card and a processor with at least a 2.0 GHz output. Intel HD 4000 graphics cards will require an Intel i7 CPU or better.

Tomb Raider is available in the Mac App Store for $49.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Widely Acclaimed Tomb Raider Reboot Arrives in Mac App Store

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Picked up Limbo from that bundle the other day and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Plus I have an SNES emulator with Super Metroid. And I never finished Lugaru. I can probably wait for the price to come down before picking this one up. (Plus I haven't bought the SCII expansion, yet. I'll probably pick it up with the second expansion as a bundle when that inevitably becomes available when the second expansion is released.)

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
So what happens if you don't like the game or get tired of it, how do you sell it? Is there a code that could be sold for re dawnload?

ZOZO

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2013
So what happens if you don't like the game or get tired of it, how do you sell it? Is there a code that could be sold for re dawnload?

Digital download makes this kind of thing nearly impossible most of the time, at least legally. Truth is though, I find that even if I get tired of a game, a few years down the road I want to play it again. Selling games never made sense for me anyway.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Digital download makes this kind of thing nearly impossible most of the time, at least legally. Truth is though, I find that even if I get tired of a game, a few years down the road I want to play it again. Selling games never made sense for me anyway.

I agree. I wish there was a way to sell your downloaded games, eBooks, movies & music, but the publishers wouldn't allow that any time soon, if ever.

I also like to replay games after not playing them for a while. I'm aging myself here, but I just had to buy the old Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade game from Steam. I remember playing it back in 1991 or so. Loved it and still do. Sure the graphics and sound are horrible, but that kind of adds to its charm. :) I played the original Tomb Raider games as well. However, I'm not much of a gamer anymore so $49.99 for game is just too expensive for me.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have this for Xbox... great graphics and pretty damn fun. $50 is a bit pricey for how old it is now... but definitely worth the buy if you can find it on sale.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Although Tomb Raider is primarily known for its single-player campaign, it has an online multiplayer component. That multiplayer is not available on the version purchased from the Mac App Store. Players who wish to play online multiplayer will have to purchase the game on Steam, as the game requires a Steam account to take part in its Mac-to-Mac only online play.

I really don't like it when MAS versions of games/apps get neutered; especially when the price is the same as on Steam.

Sometimes the restrictions aren't the fault of the developer (although that doesn't make me happier - just angry at someone else), but in this case I'm not sure if they couldn't include multiplayer in the MAS version with some kind of Steam login requirement.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I really don't like it when MAS versions of games/apps get neutered; especially when the price is the same as on Steam.

Sometimes the restrictions aren't the fault of the developer (although that doesn't make me happier - just angry at someone else), but in this case I'm not sure if they couldn't include multiplayer in the MAS version with some kind of Steam login requirement.

I understand where you're coming from. But as a major fan of this game (and all previous Tomb Raiders), I can say without a doubt that the multiplayer would've been better off being removed from the game. The single player feels polished and exciting throughout, whereas the multiplayer feels like a cheap ripoff of an already bad game.

You'd be getting the better bargain by not wasting hard drive space on that multiplayer mode IMO.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Picked up Limbo from that bundle the other day and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Plus I have an SNES emulator with Super Metroid.
Oh my GOD, I LITERALLY just started playing the exact same thing last week. LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!

I'm playing it with my Xbox 360 controller using custom controls in ControllerMate. Gamepad by Microsoft, computer by Apple, game by Nintendo... SO AWESOME!

Oh, and SCII: Heart of the Swarm is pretty badass too. You'll enjoy it.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Tomb Raider is fantastic. I bought this and The Last of Us at the same time. This is what the series needed badly. I couldn't put this game down.

Once I beat it I started The Last of Us but haven't finished it. Tomb Raider spoiled me because of how freaking good it is. No other game in recent memory captured my attention the way it did.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
You'll be able to sell and trade used games on steam soon, I'd just buy it on steam.

nawoo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
I'm laughing at the price. Steam on PC has it for less than $10 and Mac gamers have to pay $50 for it. What a ripoff

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
You'll be able to sell and trade used games on steam soon, I'd just buy it on steam.

Really? Do you remember where you read this? If so, this is great news!

edit:nevermind. Got off my lazy
arse and searched :p

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Tomb Raider is fantastic. I bought this and The Last of Us at the same time. This is what the series needed badly. I couldn't put this game down.

Once I beat it I started The Last of Us but haven't finished it. Tomb Raider spoiled me because of how freaking good it is. No other game in recent memory captured my attention the way it did.

I'm the same... I didn't finish but I'm about 75% of the way through. I picked up The Last of Us and the controls seem so clunky an unintuitive in comparison.

Reactions: H2SO4

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area

PUSH THROUGH "THE LAST OF US"! It's absolutely my favorite game of the generation. The first 2-3 hours is slow, but afterward it opens up in every way and gets continuously better. :)

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Best Tomb Raider since The Last Revelation. Back when good old Core Design had the franchise. Hopefully Crystal Dynamics will treat this franchise well now they've successfully rebooted it.

(More puzzles and tombs in the next one pls!!)

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
When will Mac gaming finally get some love like PC does?

Mac games are always too little too late (except for WoW and D3) and too expensive.
Not to mention they always run better on Windows, even when playing it in Bootcamp.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
To bad multiplayer is mac-to-mac only

Why is it like that for some games? Something makes it difficult to implement networking between games running on different operating systems?

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
How do you control these games on a mac? Do you get a bluetooth controller, or mouse and keyboard...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.