Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mac30.jpg
In celebration of the Mac's 30th anniversary, Apple today added a new "Happy Birthday, Mac" section to the App Store. The section, which features apps and games from both Apple and third-party developers, is intended to "capture the spirit" of what makes the Mac extraordinary.
When the Macintosh debuted on January 24, 1984, it fundamentally changed what a computer was - and what it could do. Software developers had an incredible new playground for their imaginations, allowing them to create groundbreaking apps and games unlike any seen before. And that's just as true of the Mac today as it was then. Celebrate the Mac's 30th anniversary with our specially chosen assortment of apps and games that capture the spirit of what makes this computer so extraordinary.
The new Mac App Store page is divided into three separate sections: Apps Made by Apple, Unforgettable Apps, and Amazing Games. In the first section, Apple features many of its own Mac apps, including OS X Mavericks, Logic Pro X, Final Cut Pro, and its iWork and iLife suite of apps.

Unforgettable apps includes popular Mac App Store offerings like Evernote, Pixelmator, and Fantastical. There are apps from a wide range of categories like Productivity, Utilities, Graphics & Design, Photography, Reference, and more.

Apple's Amazing Games picks include some of the best selling titles in the Mac App Store, like BioShock Infinite and the recently released Tomb Raider. While the new Mac section does not offer any particular deals, it is a solid collection of high-quality apps for the Mac.

Along with the apps, Apple also includes a link to its homepage, which is currently featuring a tribute to the Mac with a visual timeline and a "Mac 30" video that looks at the Mac's past and present.

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the day Steve Jobs first introduced the Mac at the Flint Center in Cupertino, California. Along with a new Mac App Store section and a tribute on its website, Apple is celebrating the milestone with a number of interviews. Several Apple executives discussed the Mac with Macworld yesterday and Tim Cook did an interview with ABC, which will air tonight.

Article Link: Apple Adds 'Happy Birthday, Mac' Section to Mac App Store

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I find the use of the iOS font for the logo a little ironic.

Edit: I take it back, the number 3 really struck me as looking very iOS-y, but no, the ad copy Mavericks seems to use the same font.

Last edited:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
this is indeed a celebration on Apple's part, good to know Apple really care for the mac. to another 30 years!!

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Big fans of Pixelmator over here. Those guys are great, and they've really been stepping up to the plate to replace Photoshop since Adobe went subscription-only.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Big fans of Pixelmator over here. Those guys are great, and they've really been stepping up to the plate to replace Photoshop since Adobe went subscription-only.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

Aren't you on the wrong forum?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Too bad FCP isn't on sale. I've always wanted to try it out but end up sticking with Premiere—especially now that it's bundled with CC.

The Mac App Store has grown quite a bit from the early days, but it still doesn't hold up against the iOS App Store. I think it may be too restrictive for some desktop apps, and with a smaller install base there aren't as many options. Some of my favorite Mac App Store apps:

BetterSnapTool
Skala Preview
DaisyDisk
1Password
Pocket
Tweetbot
Farensius
Mint QuickView
FreeSpace Tab
Gemini
Coda 2
Droplr
The Unarchiver
Blackmagic Disk Speed Test
TextWrangler
iWork

Some of my favorite 3rd party apps:

Bartender
Dropbox
Fantastical
AirDisplay
AirServer
MagicPrefs
Adobe CC
Codekit
ImageOptim
xScope
iStat
Carbon Copy Cloner
VirtualBox

Some of those might also be available on the Mac App Store, but I purchased them outside of that so they didn't show up in my purchased tab.

Can anyone recommend a really cool new Mac app that wasn't on my list? I haven't bought anything in a while. I'm thinking maybe a new mail client. I've been looking at Airmail, Postbox and the new Mail Pilot. I use iCloud for personal, Exchange at work, and Outlook.com for my branded freelance.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
No such section in the App Store here. Is this regional or something? :confused:

Is the article referring to the iOS app store? I don't see a 'Mac' section in the US App Store either.

Nevermind.... I found it. It's only a banner that presents some apps that Apple thinks highlights Apple devices.

Also the categories on my App Store are named a little differently than as stated in the article.

'Apps Made by Apple'

'Amazing Apps'

'Great Games'

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.