Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBrandonLee

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If any of you guys are looking to buy one of these, I have a new, unused one that I bought that I'm trying to sell for cheap. I was going to get an iPhone 5, but was given a phone for free so that kind of changed things.

You can PM me or chat here or whatever.

keystothecity

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2013
All you guys don't care about new product? anti-crack screen protector has the same effect to protect ur screen with glass screen protector,what's more,it's much more cheaper than glass screen protector.

I think people like glass screen protectors because they are "premium" and definitely look/feel higher end than traditional plastic protectors. There are some pretty nice ones out there currently :)

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Finally took the plunge and bought a Pure, my first glass protector since my local AT&T store keeps them in stock. Yes, more expensive but totally worth it! Can't beat the clarity, brightness, and feel of this compared to any previous protector I've used. The closest to it was my GhostArmor. Very happy with my purchase.

jetboy777

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
Ouch!

I just did my new iPhone 5s. I found dust specks:mad:. Everyone seems to forget about about static electricity. I wiped my 5s surface with a lint free cloth and used the sticky tape to ensure all specks were off. Then, I used a powerful led light at a low angle to illuminate any remaining dust speck. I applied it perfectly aligned which is surprisingly easy to do. Much to my dismay, I found 3 specks around the home button. It is still easy to pull the protector off with your fingernails on the edge. Be careful not to touch the adhesive. You can also use the provided suction cup to hold it up. Alas once the dust is on the adhesive, there is no good way to remove it without making it worse. Also, I do not recommend doing this multiple times as it causes the adhesive to develop chronic bubble problems that have to squeegeed out.

I would now clean the surface. Then, I would try to discharge any static electricity and followed by sticky tape before application. The cloth and air blowing probably creates a charge on the surface. What do you think?

Gooner49

macrumors demi-god
Jun 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
Anyone bought the pure for their new iPhone 5s?

As a matter of fact, I did buy the Bodyguardz Pure - Glass Screen Protector for my iPhone 5S.
I always buy the protector in advance of getting the phone so that the screen is lint-free and static free during the application process, which ensures that the entire process goes without any glitch.

On my previous iPhone 5, I did the same process with the Spigen Glas.tR Slim and did the same for my GF's iPhone 5 as well with the Holy Grail Glass Screen Protector. And in both cases, I never found any roadblocks or hassles such as finding dust speck/lint trapped underneath the protector.

With that being said, I have to say that when comparing all the three protectors, this has to be the best of the lot.
Clear and responsive, while having a decent oleophobic coating.
Although it might be on the thick side (being 0.4mm thick), I did not find any issues while using the TouchID.

I have to say I finally have found a screen protector which suits my needs quite well. I would recommend this to everyone!

Last edited:

EnsignRicki

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
FYI I removed and reapplied my MIME feather glass screen protector 6 times before I was happy with the positioning. I used a credit card wrapped in a silk-like cloth to lift a corner of the screen protector and peel it right off. Every time I peeled it off, I applied tape to both my phone screen and the adhesive side of the screen protector to get rid of any potential dust just in case. It didn't seem to cause any problems with the adhesive. Every time I reapplied the screen protector, it went on as smoothly as the first time with just a few tiny air bubbles near one of the edges that I easily squeezed out with my thumb. Also made sure to do all this is in a steamy bathroom.

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
I love my Pure. I have a GlasT nano sitting here but will not remove it for the Pure. The Glas was great for a while but being so thin, it chipped on the corner. It also lost its coating very quickly. SGP replaced it and while I was waiting, I grabbed a Pure at full price from AT&T. That was a very good decision for a purchase on a whim. The oleo coating is much better and I got this one in perfect fashion. I did have to lift it a few times to get dust out but I have no bubbles, no dust and no edge issues. It is thicker but I use an aluminum home button and it fit perfectly flat with the Pure. My phone stays in a Mophie most of the time and the Pure is still just thin enough to be below the lip of the case. I also have tried some of the cheap glass shields of ebay and I have yet to find one that did not have bubbling issues or lose the oleo very quickly.

blacktable

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
I gave up the glass screen protector after few weeks as I didn't get the alignment perfect at the very first time. Once they improved the glue, I may try again.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I have the Pure on my 5S. I give a 7/10 rating.

Pros
-High quality feel
-Very oleo phobic
-Doesn't seem like it'd chip very easily

Cons
-THICK. And no home button solution yet compatible with TouchID, so the home button is sunk way down
-Not a very forgiving install. I have a couple of small gaps on the bottom edge of the phone that will not go away. I even installed it in one try, didn't peel it up once
-Expensive. Got it on black friday for $20, but still

Haru

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2014
I have the Pure on my 5S. I give a 7/10 rating.

Pros
-High quality feel
-Very oleo phobic
-Doesn't seem like it'd chip very easily

Cons
-THICK. And no home button solution yet compatible with TouchID, so the home button is sunk way down
-Not a very forgiving install. I have a couple of small gaps on the bottom edge of the phone that will not go away. I even installed it in one try, didn't peel it up once
-Expensive. Got it on black friday for $20, but still

This review is accurate. You should play it safe and purchase at least 2 due to faulty air gaps that won't go away near the edges. Your phone has to be absolutely clean. Very easy to apply but any single dust caught in the guard and you can say bye bye to $20-$40 bucks. Tried 3 times and all 3 were faulty with air bubbles off the edges. Last 3rd try was minor. Thank the heavens!
I can attest that it is fully scratch proof however not sure if it is drop proof.
The Bodyguardz video surprised me so I put it to the test. Everything the video showed was true with the exception of the hammer. Cracked mine with little effort.

My rating would be 6/10 due to having 3 faulty products. The positives of getting a Bodyguardz is the protection quality of the guard and their excellent customer service.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Update. I'm not sure if the edges have began to chip (can't see anything irregular), but I've now cut my fingers twice on this screen protector. This is a detrimental flaw, and I'll be contacting BodyGuardz about it. The first time, I didn't think much of it, but tonight was the second time in a week. Too bad really. Anyone else experience this?

jimmyusmc

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
Update. I'm not sure if the edges have began to chip (can't see anything irregular), but I've now cut my fingers twice on this screen protector. This is a detrimental flaw, and I'll be contacting BodyGuardz about it. The first time, I didn't think much of it, but tonight was the second time in a week. Too bad really. Anyone else experience this?

Wow. let us know how it goes. Good luck my friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.