Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last night, over 100 members of the original Mac team gathered to celebrate the Mac's 30th anniversary in De Anza College's Flint Center, where Steve Jobs first introduced the Macintosh 30 years ago. The event was focused around three separate panels: the conception of the Mac, the building of the Mac and the third-party developers who built software for the Mac.

mac30handsup.jpg
The evening began with video of both Jobs' introduction of the Macintosh in the Flint Center and a couple minutes of the 90-minute Macintosh presentation at the Boston Computer Society, which was made public for the first time last night. Master of Ceremonies and Apple employee #4 Bill Fernandez then introduced the first panel of the night: the conception of the Mac.

Moderated by New York Times writer John Markoff, the panel included Mac team members Larry Tesler, Daniel Kottke, Rod Holt, Jerry Manock and Marc LeBrun. While introducing themselves, Manock himself recalled that he initially thought he was going to be fired due to a defect on the Apple III's design that was seen as his fault. Manock states that he was called into Jobs' office while trying to fix the design and, instead of being fired, was given a job to design the Macintosh.

Later, when asked what carried over from Jef Raskin's version of the Macintosh project and Steve Jobs' version of the Macintosh product, Holt, who developed the power supply for the Apple II, said the main difference was that the computer became a product the team themselves wanted, echoing Apple's current product philosophy.
From an abstract, it became a reality. But it was the sum of its parts, but the parts were all what people wanted. And that enthusiasm, you see, people put themselves into that computer. It's the same thing that happened with the Apple II. Everyone worked on that Apple II because they wanted that Apple II. This process of invention was very unusual. I think that this world could use a lot more of that.
The second panel, moderated by Wired's Steven Levy, focused on the creation of the Mac and included Mac team members Bill Atkinson, Caroline Rose, Andy Hertzfeld, Bruce Horn, Steve Capps, George Crow and Randy Wigginton. During the introductory part of the panel, which detailed how each employee joined the Mac team, Wigginton, who created MacWrite, said "I feel like I'm listening to a bunch of lies, because according to the Ashton Kutcher documentary..." referencing Ashton Kutcher's Steve Jobs biopic Jobs and drawing a roar of laughter.

The panel then discussed how difficult it was to ship the Mac on time, noting that some of them worked up to 90 hours a week to fix things and get them as good as they could be for shipment. Levy then asked the group about their work with Microsoft, noting Bill Gates' claim that Microsoft had more people working on software for the Mac than Apple did. Wigginton quickly responded, saying "If they had more people than us then it doesn't speak very highly of the quality of the people they had," which drew massive applause and laughter.

mac30fernandez.jpg
Hertzfeld, who was a software designer on Macintosh, then jumped in, noting Microsoft was the first company that got a Mac and ended up helping shaping the Mac, creating three programs to accompany Apple's MacWrite and MacPaint to give its young ecosystem a boost. Further, he also noted one of Microsoft's systems architects kept asking how the internals of the software worked. Hertzfeld said he was curious as to why they kept asking, but eventually assumed why. "I quickly thought 'maybe they were trying to copy the Mac?' And sure enough, in 1983, they announced Windows. We were kind of shocked by that."

Capps, who helped create Finder with Horn and worked at Microsoft from 1996 - 2001, then mentioned that well into 2000 he would be in a product meeting and Gates, when he didn't like any of the ideas that were presented to him, would say "What would Apple do?" He said that Apple's ethos and product environment were burnt into his psyche and inspired Gates. Horn then noted the curiosity around Apple still exists today.
Everybody looks at Apple and says 'what would Apple do?' and everybody is copying Apple. So something that Steve did and all the people who he hired made Apple have a particular way of thinking and particular passion for the user of the product that is here today for years and years so I think that's amazing.
Atkinson then said making the Mac was more about creating art for them as opposed to doing work. This mentality, Atkinson stated, was why Jobs made the team have their signatures on the inside of the Mac, because "artists sign their work" and Jobs wanted them to be proud of what they built.

Later on, Caroline Rose, who wrote the Macintosh's technical documentation, said the team had tears in their eyes and became depressed when it was announced the price of the Mac was raised from $1,995 to $2,495 to offset the massive marketing costs, because the people they built the computer for wouldn't be able to purchase it.

Apple CEO Mike Markkula then came on stage and thanked the entire Mac team for their accomplishment. Fernandez then symbolically presented Markkula with a plaque that had a trophy on top of it with six arms holding up a Mac, which said: "Apple and Macintosh would never have happened without you. Your participation changed the world."

After bringing out an original Macintosh and re-demoing the original demo Steve Jobs conducted at the product's introduction in 1984, Steve Hayden, the copywriter behind many popular Apple ad campaigns, including the famous "1984" commercial, gave a presentation on the history of Apple's advertising.

macdemo.jpg
Hayden recounted the early development of "1984" to the 20-page inserts he helped create to explain how to use a Mac to the "Computer for the rest of us" tagline to the failure of the "Lemmings" Macintosh Office commercial to the resurgence of Apple advertising with the iMac's "Three Steps" ad.

In the final panel of the evening, CNET's Dan Farber moderated a panel that included third-party developers Mark Canter, Charlie Jackson, Jim Rea, Heidi Rozen, Ty Roberts, David Bunnell, Maryline Delbourg Delphis, Adam Hertz and Steve Jasik, focusing on how developing for the Mac changed their lives, echoing Apple's recent efforts to highlight how developing for the App Store and iPad has changed people's lives today.

Bunnell, who founded Macworld, remembered how he had worked with Steve Jobs and Apple to develop Macworld magazine in secret. Jobs initially didn't want to be on the famous first cover for Macworld, but was talked into it. Jobs later changed his mind, telling Bunnell he didn't want to be on the cover anymore, but Bunnell lied and told him it was too late and the magazine was already printed.

Finally, Jerry Manock, Caroline Rose and Patti Kenyon came on stage to read a letter from the Mac team to the Macintosh, and to the various Apple employees that attended the event:
Dear Mac, today you are celebrating your 30th birthday. Here are some things we wanted you to know as you enter your fourth decade. Your early family really loved you. We had lots of fun being pirates and working very hard together, before you were born. You were a cute, chubby little baby who has grown up to be as slender as a No. 2 pencil with the power of an NFL middle linebacker. You were writing and drawing sketches at a very early age, who would have guessed that you'd now be making movies all by yourself and sharing it with people around the world.

Your list of accomplishments is truly astounding. We are very, very proud of all the tasks you have mastered. Many more than we could have ever imagined! Never forget that your parents wanted you to always be respectful of the individuality of your users. And we hope that you will continue to help them communicate their uniqueness to each other.

You can't let vanity and compliments about your beauty stop you from always remembering your core purpose: fostering innovation and creativity. Finally, don't forget to keep your sense of humor. True artist not only ship, but laugh! Don't forget about the little Mac Man who used to run across the desktop every once in a while. So, have an insanely great happy birthday. We all wish you continued success in your next 30 years, helping pilot the Mothership.

Sincerely yours, members of the 1984 Macintosh Development Team.

Article Link: Original Macintosh Team Gathers to Celebrate 30th Anniversary with Stories, Demos and Laughter

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
This is a splendid article...I feel bettered for having read it. One of the best quotes from it, undoubtedly: "You can't let vanity and compliments about your beauty stop you from always remembering your core purpose: fostering innovation and creativity."

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Shame on you, De Anza College!

As a De Anza College alumnus (I did my associate's degree there before transferring to a four-year university for a bachelor's), this excellent article makes me feel both proudness and sadness. I'm proud that Apple chose De Anza College's Flint Center to introduce a truly world-changing technology—one of the most world-changing computing products in history. But it saddens me how De Anza College never mentions any of this anywhere, and I'm guessing that over 99% of students there have no idea about this. Other colleges proudly mention their (relatively far smaller) historical connections, but De Anza College doesn't utter a peep about such things. In my time at De Anza College, I never once heard or seen the name "Steve Wozniak" printed or mentioned anywhere. Perhaps well over 99% of current students have no clue that the man who single-handedly invented the personal computer as we know it—Steve Wozniak—is a De Anza College alumnus. Woz completed his freshman and sophomore years of college at De Anza College before transferring to UC Berkeley as a junior.

I looked at the most current issue (as of this posting) of De Anza College's student newspaper, La Voz, and there was no mention of the 30th anniversary of the Macintosh.

Last edited:

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
"What would Apple do?" -Bill Gates

T-shirts, rubber bracelets ? Anyone?

17thletter

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
Northridge, CA
I looked at the most current issue (as of this posting) of De Anza College's student newspaper, La Voz, and there was no mention of the 30th anniversary of the Macintosh.

As a journalism student, what probably occurred is that the college is in its winter intercession so they probably don't have any student reporters enrolled because of the short duration of that semester. The only people who can write are last semester's Ed Board or those promising to join the Spring semester Ed Board. Simply put, it's probably a skeleton crew and not much will be coming out as far as news until the Spring.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
As a journalism student, what probably occurred is that the college is in its winter intercession so they probably don't have any student reporters enrolled because of the short duration of that semester. The only people who can write are last semester's Ed Board or those promising to join the Spring semester Ed Board. Simply put, it's probably a skeleton crew and not much will be coming out as far as news until the Spring.

Classes for the current term at De Anza College began on January 6. De Anza College is on the quarter system (not the semester system), and they have already completed three whole weeks of the current term.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
AH, the BCS. I remember Sculley doing a presentation and showing off a great video that talked about Apple's impact on computing. A grey haired Woz shows off computer glasses that use a tiny disk, inserted into the glasses' frame, for storage. It also talked about the new Apple mainframe they released after they acquired IBM.

Apple has apparently made many great shorts over the years, it's a shame they never released them to the public.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Lots of mac news and celebration, I'm very sure all the original team are very proud of their accomplishment and what the mac have become.

Can't remember if microsoft actually celebrate windows 10th or 20th birthday ?

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
As a De Anza College alumnus (I did my associate's degree there before transferring to a four-year university for a bachelor's), this excellent article makes me feel both proudness and sadness. I'm proud that Apple chose De Anza College's Flint Center to introduce a truly world-changing technology—one of the most world-changing computing products in history. But it saddens me how De Anza College never mentions any of this anywhere, and I'm guessing that over 99% of students there have no idea about this. Other colleges proudly mention their (relatively far smaller) historical connections, but De Anza College doesn't utter a peep about such things. In my time at De Anza College, I never once heard or seen the name "Steve Wozniak" printed or mentioned anywhere. Perhaps well over 99% of current students have no clue that the man who single-handedly invented the personal computer as we know it—Steve Wozniak—is a De Anza College alumnus. Woz completed his freshman and sophomore years of college at De Anza College before transferring to UC Berkeley as a junior.

Excellent comments.

I've found the same to be true of the community college (also in Northern California) that I attended in the 1980s. Several alumni went on to important, high-profile careers, yet there is no mention of them anywhere on the college's website or in its promotional materials. I get the feeling that many of the current crop of administrators aren't even aware of the institution's history.

College marketing departments take note: If you have a Woz (or Woz-like) alumnus, tell the world about it! That's free advertising worth its weight in gold!

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
What are they all staring at?

LsJ6rwH.gif

Ohhhhhhhhhh… ahhhhhhhhh… now I see.

Last edited:

techweenie

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
West LA
I missed the event today, but I was there in 1984. It was something of a religious experience.

The former president of Apple was in the back, prepared to wage a proxy fight to get back in control of the company (it was an Annual Meeting, after all). After the Mac introduction, he gave up his quest.

Good to see Fernandez and Holt participated. Holt was with Apple from the Spring of 77 at least. And of course, Fernandez famously introduced the two Steves.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
It's a shame Steve isn't around to see this.

Well done to them, in any case - they are the crazy ones.

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
Now THIS is a front page worthy read MR.... great post!

Congrats on 30 years... Here's to many more! :apple:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
well ... this is awkward

my german jaw just dropped on the floor seeing that picture on top :eek:

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
well ... this is awkward

my german jaw just dropped on the floor seeing that picture on top :eek:

They're just raising their hands—you'd have to get dental surgery if you visited a classroom. Not everything resembles saluting a bastard. :rolleyes: :p

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I'm not positive, but if my memory serves me correctly, on May 5 1998, we were all told to head over to DeAnza College, within the exact same auditorium, and Steve introduced to the rest of Apple who weren't part of the skunkworks team:

iMac.

It was a great day. It reminded me when Steve would introduce a big product at NeXT and you could watch the faces light up.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
You know what's awesome? I smoked pot and got drunk with Bill Fernandez's daughter, Kelly Fernandez, a lot a few years ago. I used to go over to their house quite often. They had all PPCs, it's like Bill had a thing against Intel Macs. He still sometimes spoke to Steve Jobs and got a fruit basket from him every year. One of the reasons I was never allowed near their phones. I eventually just stopped hanging out with her, though she ended up dating one of my cousin's ex boyfriends.

^Dead serious, by the way. Completely.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
That letter was written quite well. I can feel the love and care they have for their gift to the world.

Who am I kidding? These are the same people who birthed us the Mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.