Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
I don't willingly follow the Grammys but got a notification on my iPhone this AM from WSJ that Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" won Record of the Year. Wait what! How does an insipid tune with banal child-like lyrics win Record of the Year? Oh, the award isn't based on creativity, originality, and pushing song writing forward. OK. Got it. But maybe the Grammys should merge with the Teen Choice Awards and lower their carbon footprint.

/rant

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The Grammys are about what sells, not what's good. In the music industry, crap sells. It defies logic. But the Grammys are just one giant crap fest and an affront to good music.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yes, indeed Daft Punk got lucky that the entire music industry stopped and turned their heads when "Get Lucky" made it onto the airwaves. The only other song getting that much respect this year being "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke, followed by Macklemore's two big hits in third place.

I'm pretty much out of touch with popular music myself these days because it means nothing to me anymore, however 2013 was a great year for it. I am happy that we have people like Sara Bareilles, Pink, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Pharrell Williams, and Justin Timberlake that are as relevant today as when they released their first singles.

I didn’t follow the social media live this year because I got tired of all the snarky commentary people make every year. My favorite albums didn’t get nominated either, but I don’t call that a snub, and don’t feel like I need to get defensive about it. You just end up looking like a narrow-minded person. Like your music and let everyone else enjoy theirs.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Guess I'll be the only one to say that Daft Punk were deserved winners all around. I think the more retro sound they achieved with Random Access Memories touched a nerve with all the old guys at the Grammies, recalling a far more glorious time for the music industry than the uncertain times and uneven musical quality they face today. In a perfect world, a truly forward-looking album of their such as Discovery would have won as many awards, but I have to say RAM is also pretty fantastic and there are a lot of other mainstream artists doing excellent work today.

I never, ever watch the Grammies, except for the one a few years ago where Daft Punk performed with Kanye West, and this year.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Yes, indeed Daft Punk got lucky that the entire music industry stopped and turned their heads when "Get Lucky" made it onto the airwaves. The only other song getting that much respect this year being "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke, followed by Macklemore's two big hits in third place.

I'm pretty much out of touch with popular music myself these days because it means nothing to me anymore, however 2013 was a great year for it. I am happy that we have people like Sara Bareilles, Pink, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Pharrell Williams, and Justin Timberlake that are as relevant today as when they released their first singles.

I didn’t follow the social media live this year because I got tired of all the snarky commentary people make every year. My favorite albums didn’t get nominated either, but I don’t call that a snub, and don’t feel like I need to get defensive about it. You just end up looking like a narrow-minded person. Like your music and let everyone else enjoy theirs.

Another true piece of crap that is a hit for reasons I will never understand.

Would love to hear some of these people sing without the help of ProTools and autotune.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Guess I'll be the only one to say that Daft Punk were deserved winners all around. I think the more retro sound they achieved with Random Access Memories touched a nerve with all the old guys at the Grammies, recalling a far more glorious time for the music industry than the uncertain times and uneven musical quality they face today. In a perfect world, a truly forward-looking album of their such as Discovery would have won as many awards, but I have to say RAM is also pretty fantastic and there are a lot of other mainstream artists doing excellent work today.

I never, ever watch the Grammies, except for the one a few years ago where Daft Punk performed with Kanye West, and this year.

I agree with you. Maybe my post didn't make it seem that way, but I loved RAM too.

Another true piece of crap that is a hit for reasons I will never understand.

Would love to hear some of these people sing without the help of ProTools and autotune.

Because it was upbeat, and not like other collaborations in the same genre. Sounded good next to Get Lucky too. :p

I would too, but that's not happening.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Not sure why everyone got such a boner over Daft Punk's album.

Plus, who even decides who the nominees are or who the winners are?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
This album was really good. 'Get Lucky' was the radio release hit but frankly not one of the best tunes on the album.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
It felt that it was a consolation for not rewarding the much superior Discovery. With that said, I loved RAM, but it definitely not the best Daft Punk album.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
daftpunk1.jpg

Here's a picture of the house duo known as "Daft Punk"....while they are supposed to be up on stage accepting a grammy. I, for one, love Daft Punk. They are the Nirvana of their genre and their music is brilliant and Random Access Memories is a masterpiece.

----------

Time to diversify. Even though they broke up, I'd listen to the Civil Wars over any of those people you listed.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Have to agree with the OP here... the Grammys aren't at all recognizing quality music recently... Not that there aren't exceptions, (such as Cut Me Some Slack from Sound City winning best rock song) but the majority of modern pop music really just doesn't have that "award winning" quality imho.

BTW not trying to just feelings here- I realize many people like popular music. Just my opinion. :p

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I'll take Daft Punk over Ms Cyrus any day. Then again, I doubt I would buy either of their music 'product.' - At least DP presents quality even if it is not my particular taste.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I never understood the hype around daft punk. Their music sounds like an elevator or shopping mall version of techno to me.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Have to agree with the OP here... the Grammys aren't at all recognizing quality music recently... Not that there aren't exceptions, (such as Cut Me Some Slack from Sound City winning best rock song) but the majority of modern pop music really just doesn't have that "award winning" quality imho.

BTW not trying to just feelings here- I realize many people like popular music. Just my opinion. :p

Last two Albums of the Year were Mumford and Sons and Arcade Fire. Both albums were praised by basically every major reviewing publication. Not sure what you mean by "not award winning"

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Last two Albums of the Year were Mumford and Sons and Arcade Fire. Both albums were praised by basically every major reviewing publication. Not sure what you mean by "not award winning"

I didn't mean that everything in the Grammys is terrible. Both Mumford and Sons and Arcade Fire are excellent bands and deserved it. I was referring basically to the general pop music genre. Again, not trying to insult anyone, just my opinion.

Last edited:

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I didn't mean that everything in the Grammys is terrible. Both Mumford and Sons and Arcade Fire are excellent bands and deserved it. I was referring basically to the general pop music genre. Again, not trying to insult anyone, just my opinion.

I can agree with that, too. I misunderstood. There certainly is not a lot of credibility in modern popular music.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Daft Punk is "IN" and that pretty much sums it up.

I have scratched my head about lots of music and movies that won awards and realize it simply is a reflection of the times. This is no different to me than when parents hated Rock and Roll yet the 60's produced a large myriad of different sounds from folk to hard rock and "classic" ballads etc.

Your first clue of things gone "daft" is when Justin Beiber became more than a fad and was considered a real performer/singer. (grin)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.