Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applestore.png
During Apple's earnings call today, CEO Tim Cook indicated that mobile payments were one of the driving forces behind the company's decision to introduce Touch ID with the iPhone 5s.
The mobile payments area in general is one that we've been intrigued with. It was one of the thoughts behind Touch ID.
Cook went on to say that people love being able to buy digital content from their iPhones using Touch ID, because it's "incredibly simple and easy and elegant."

He added that while Apple is not planning on limiting Touch ID to digital purchases, the company had nothing specific to announce today, mobile payments are an opportunity that Apple has been "intrigued with" and there is a "big opportunity on the platform."

Tim Cook's comments on mobile payments follow a report last week that suggested Apple is currently working on developing a new mobile payment service that will allow the company to handle payments for physical goods and services in the future.

While Apple currently limits iTunes account holders to using their stored credit card information for purchases on Apple's online and retail stores through the Apple Store app, iTunes, and the App Store, stored information could be used in the future for other types of payments with Touch ID technology used to speed up and authenticate real world purchases.

Article Link: Tim Cook: Mobile Payments 'One of the Thoughts' Behind Touch ID

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Its about freaking time, how about a TV that doesn't suck that crushes Xbox and PS4, and implements a better, more streamlined Youtube-like platform for user generated content while you're at it? Getting a little tired of defending single digit growth over here... Thanks.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Its about freaking time, how about a TV that doesn't suck that crushes Xbox and PS4, and implements a better, more streamlined Youtube-like platform for user generated content while you're at it? Getting a little tired of defending single digit growth over here... Thanks.

I see you've had your morning glass of prune juice. Just relax, Apple will release whatever they need to when it's ready.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I ain't touch the Touch ID feature with a ten foot pole, buddy. I don't like the idea of impulse buying, which is why I disable in app purchases as a matter of course. We're gonna see a lot of people spending money they don't have because pay this way is just a but of bits flying around. You don't see your hard earned cash leaving your wallet.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I ain't touch the Touch ID feature with a ten foot pole, buddy. I don't like the idea of impulse buying, which is why I disable in app purchases as a matter of course. We're gonna see a lot of people spending money they don't have because pay this way is just a but of bits flying around. You don't see your hard earned cash leaving your wallet.

The same can be said about debit cards. If you are a spender, you will spend. If you are not, you won't.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010

Impulse buying is Apple's fault how?

You shouldn't bash Touch ID for what is essentially the user's fault. Maybe they should have some responsibility.

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012

Do you have a credit card?

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
The same can be said about debit cards. If you are a spender, you will spend. If you are not, you won't.

I like the people who blame technology when, in reality, they have a spending and consumption problem. :cool:

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011

People that can't manage their finances / spending isn't Apple's problem same way it isn't McDonald's problem if you get fat by eating at their restaurants.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Impulse buying is Apple's fault how?

You shouldn't bash Touch ID for what is essentially the user's fault. Maybe they should have some responsibility.

Who said anything about impulse buying being Apple's fault? Credit cards, on-line payments, the speedy pass payment all makes it easier to impulse buy. You have kids? You'll know the kind of financial headaches they can cause if you don't lock down the their devices to prevent in app purchases. Ever let the Missus go shoe shopping alone with YOUR credit card? That's the fast track to the poor house, buddy.

Touch ID is the first thing I would disable. THAT is taking responsibility. Disabling in app purchasing. THAT is taking responsibility. Suffer on a shopping trip with the Missus to keep her spending in check. THAT, my friend, is what it takes to be a man.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Looking forward to the day that my wallet can hold nothing but cash (and maybe a few IDs)... I'll have digital credit cards, gift cards and membership cards on my phone instead.

Unfortunately, not many companies are offering anything via passbook...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's kind of a big deal that he admitted to that. On the one hand, it's kind of obvious. But on the other hand, Apple doesn't really talk about their plans like this. Apple has the potential to make an incredible amount of money from this. More importantly, Apple customers can benefit from a secure payment platform that is incredibly easy to use. I hope Apple invests a lot of money in spreading the use of iBeacons as they are more secure than NFC, have better range, and beyond helping people find things in stores they can be used to buy things. I can't wait until the day that I no longer need to carry a wallet and keys.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Who said anything about impulse buying being Apple's fault? Credit cards, on-line payments, the speedy pass payment all makes it easier to impulse buy. You have kids? You'll know the kind of financial headaches they can cause if you don't lock down the their devices to prevent in app purchases. Ever let the Missus go shoe shopping alone with YOUR credit card? That's the fast track to the poor house, buddy.

Touch ID is the first thing I would disable. THAT is taking responsibility. Disabling in app purchasing. THAT is taking responsibility. Suffer on a shopping trip with the Missus to keep her spending in check. THAT, my friend, is what it takes to be a man. ;)

Touch ID shopping if anything would do the reverse. Your wife or kids wouldn't be able to access it without your finger not to mention you wouldn't have a CC or DC to loose/get stolen.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009

Touch ID is the first thing I would disable. THAT is taking responsibility. Disabling in app purchasing. THAT is taking responsibility. Suffer on a shopping trip with the Missus to keep her spending in check. THAT, my friend, is what it takes to be a man.

I just have to say, this whole "missus" thing sounds really... I don't know. Chauvanistic? Whatever putting your wife on the same level as your kids equates to.

I also don't understand how TouchID = giving your card out to someone else.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
If Apple's impetus for Touch ID was actually encouraging people to buy stuff, and not just concern for user security and convenience, then they should probably fix the @#$#-ing problems with it, as some of us can't even use Touch ID because it loses our fingerprints.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I just have to say, this whole "missus" thing sounds really... I don't know. Chauvanistic? Whatever putting your wife on the same level as your kids equates to.

You mean chauvinistic? Well, my wife doesn't need my card to get at the money in our bank account. And the kids - if they touch my cards I'll cut their fingers off.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I always thought of a credit card type of payment that used a fingerprint instead of a signature to authorize payment. At least in a real store anyways.

But something like this will have to be authorized through iTunes Wallet or whatever it would be called when your credit or debit is linked to your iTunes account.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013

Touch ID is the first thing I would disable. THAT is taking responsibility. Disabling in app purchasing. THAT is taking responsibility. Suffer on a shopping trip with the Missus to keep her spending in check. THAT, my friend, is what it takes to be a man. ;)

I agree.

Don't even bother with banks. Store all your cash in the freezer, and also fry your fingerprints off, the missus might chop your fingers in your sleep and use them to buy jewelz and lipstick.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Using Touch ID doesn't automagically re-enable in-app purchases or even require you to enter your credit card information in the first place.
I've enabled Touch ID for iTunes and the App Store from day one but the in-app purchase option is still turned off and I still only use iTunes gift cards and my common sense for all my purchases.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
During Apple's earnings call today, CEO Tim Cook indicated that mobile payments were one of the driving forces behind the company's decision to introduce Touch ID with the iPhone 5s. Cook went on to say that people love being able to buy digital content from their iPhones using Touch ID, because it's "incredibly simple and easy and elegant."

He added that while Apple is not planning on limiting Touch ID to digital purchases, the company had nothing specific to announce today, mobile payments are an opportunity that Apple has been "intrigued with" and there is a "big opportunity on the platform."

Tim Cook's comments on mobile payments follow a report last week that suggested Apple is currently working on developing a new mobile payment service that will allow the company to handle payments for physical goods and services in the future.

While Apple currently limits iTunes account holders to using their stored credit card information for purchases on Apple's online and retail stores through the Apple Store app, iTunes, and the App Store, stored information could be used in the future for other types of payments with Touch ID technology used to speed up and authenticate real world purchases.
Users are clamoring for mobile payments? Really? :rolleyes:

Bring user profiles to the iPad, and identify users via Touch ID.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

I would never leave a loaded iTunes account logged in to a device meant for a child. First thing I would do is always log out, and if the child ever wants to purchase something the account would need to be logged in.

Why oh why do parents leave their accounts WITH credit cards logged in on a child's device, and hand it to them completely oblivious to that fact?

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
This is very 2012 news.

The second they rejected a crypto coin wallet it was easily apparent what their plans were.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.