Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Logitech has dropped the price on its PowerShell iOS 7 MFi game controller from $100 to $70, following a similar price drop on the SteelSeries gaming controller when it launched.

logitechpowershell-800x280.jpg
The form-fitting controller is made to plug into the Lightning port on a newer iOS device and features console-style controls including a directional pad, shoulder bumpers, and face buttons. It also allows for headphones to be connected through an included adapter, and also leaves the volume up/down buttons, ring/silent switch, and power/sleep button of an iOS device fully accessible.

Logitech's controller includes a 1500 mAh battery which will charge an iOS device whiile it is plugged into the controller, and can also be charged simultaneously with a device through the controller's micro-USB port.

Complaints about the high price tag of the MFi controllers and issues with build quality, could be causing poor sales of the devices, which is the likely impetus for the two price drops.

Update: Logitech has reached out to MacRumors to clarify that the price drop is only temporary, and the price will rise back to $100 on February 1.

Article Link: Logitech Drops Price on 'PowerShell' iOS 7 Game Controller [Updated]

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Is it true that Apple are insisting on single button, circular D-Pads? Ugh. They really don't get non-touch based input design do they? Cough-everymousetheyveevermade-cough.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Until these things cost the same as a PS4 or XBOXONE controller, they will NOT sell.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Wait, I'm confused... I thought it was "proven" that Apple demanded a $99 price... and then "proven" that they forced a $99 price indirectly by having guidelines that only allowed SOME cheap, inconsistent parts instead of ALL cheap, inconsistent parts (or else they would withhold their MFi logo from the poor accessory maker)? But now prices are falling, following the same pattern as any other new product? But surely that can't be it--there must be a conspiracy. Next thing you'll be telling me that some controller models turn out to be better than others, and that later products become better than the first batch!

Until these things cost the same as a PS4 or XBOXONE controller, they will NOT sell.

Sure they will. They'll sell less at the start, and then prices/quality/economies of scale will improve and sales will rise further, hopefully favoring the ones that are best. There's no magic price point because an iPad or iPhone does not behave in the market the same as a console. Then again, they're optional--a niche accessory for a very fun niche that will only grow.

Is it true that Apple are insisting on single button, circular D-Pads? Ugh. They really don't get non-touch based input design do they? Cough-everymousetheyveevermade-cough.

If you've ever used an Apple Magic Mouse, I don't see how you could stand to scroll with any other. (Then again, I dislike big tall "shoe-shaped mice" that put my whole arm's weight on the desk--I prefer fingertip precision. Fans of BIG mice will find that Apple sells them--many of them--but only from third parties. I hear they are good for the wrist, but they drive me nuts.)

I DO want a big game controller! Portability? I'll use touch alone. At home? Full-size controller please! Even my lap-mounted iCade Core isn't too big for me :)

Last edited:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Very glad to see the prices dropping - it's happening a bit sooner than I expected, I thought it'd take a few more manufacturers to release more controllers before we'd start to see the prices drop, but I do welcome it. Now if only we could see some more controllers, the perfect one in my opinion hasn't been released, but I'm confident it'll happen. Just hate waiting.

Wait, I'm confused... I thought it was "proven" that Apple demanded a $99 price... and then "proven" that they forced a $99 price indirectly by having guidelines that only allowed SOME cheap, inconstestent parts instead of ALL cheap, inconsistent parts, or else they would withhold their MFi logo from the poor accessory maker? But now prices are falling, following the same pattern as any other new product? But surely that can't be it--there must be a conspiracy. Next thing you'll be telling me that some controller models turn out to be better than others, and that later products become better than the first batch!

What do you expect from a forum filling up with (Apple-product-owning) trolls, armchair CEOs and conspiracy theorists? Oh, and then there's a big group of people who just think it makes them cool to be negative and contradictory, and of course they've got their groupies following them around trying to mimic their way into cool. I find things here becoming a lot more like junior high school, sadly.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
... can also be charged simultaneously with a device through the controller's micro-USB port

Abuh -- why not lightning?

----------

That's why we use the cydia hack that let's us use a ps3 controller

And what do you do with the PHONE while you use said (very large) controller?

These solutions are attempting to solve a number of very tangible problems with mobile gaming -- they offer an unobstructed view of the screen, they secure the phone in place (perfect for car/bus trips where there's no good place to put a phone down) while permitting it to be easily accessed for those times when the touch UI is also part of the game and they boost battery life, so your play activity needn't detract from your phone's other responsibilities. They also have a decent (better than touch) d-pad and buttons.

Don't solve a quarter of the problem and claim you did a better job.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
If you've ever used an Apple Magic Mouse, I don't see how you could stand to scroll with any other. (Then again, I dislike big tall "shoe-shaped mice" that put my whole arm's weight on the desk--I prefer fingertip precision. Fans of BIG mice will find that Apple sells them--many of them--but only from third parties. I hear they are good for the wrist, but they drive me nuts.)

Yeah, I've got a Magic Mouse, but I use the Magic Trackpad instead (I'd get a rid party mouse if I were working with graphics or anything else requiring precision). I generally like touch, but to be honest even that aspect of the Magic Mouse doesn't wow we, and it's tiny flat profile makes my wrist hurt just smelling it.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Wait, I'm confused... I thought it was "proven" that Apple demanded a $99 price... and then "proven" that they forced a $99 price indirectly by having guidelines that only allowed SOME cheap, inconsistent parts instead of ALL cheap, inconsistent parts (or else they would withhold their MFi logo from the poor accessory maker)? But now prices are falling, following the same pattern as any other new product? But surely that can't be it--there must be a conspiracy.

Or it could be that those stories are completely correct, and the items have just sold so badly as a result both manufacturers need to take a wash on their margins entirely and clear the inventory.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Or it could be that those stories are completely correct, and the items have just sold so badly as a result both manufacturers need to take a wash on their margins entirely and clear the inventory.

The first manufacturer to drop the price of its controller hasn't yet been released, so probably not due to any clearing of inventory.

It's such early days I wouldn't run around declaring success or failure at this point, though personally I'm hoping for huge success (but I'd first like to see prices normalise a bit further south of where they started).

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Abuh -- why not lightning?

----------

And what do you do with the PHONE while you use said (very large) controller?

These solutions are attempting to solve a number of very tangible problems with mobile gaming -- they offer an unobstructed view of the screen, they secure the phone in place (perfect for car/bus trips where there's no good place to put a phone down) while permitting it to be easily accessed for those times when the touch UI is also part of the game and they boost battery life, so your play activity needn't detract from your phone's other responsibilities. They also have a decent (better than touch) d-pad and buttons.

Don't solve a quarter of the problem and claim you did a better job.

For an iPad (what I want a controller for) i'd honestly rather use a ps3 controller than any official controller I've seen.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
For an iPad (what I want a controller for) i'd honestly rather use a ps3 controller than any official controller I've seen.

That's good, you might have a little trouble getting your iPad to fit in the "PowerShell" anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.