Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's storefront went offline last night and returned with a new Valentine's Day theme featuring accents of red and a handpicked shopping guide for gift buyers. Holiday graphics replace the standard stock product photos and updated captions like "Love is in the Air" promote Apple's top products for the Valentine's Day shoppers.

Perhaps the most important update is the new promotion of the Apple TV at the top of the Online Store, giving it similar prominence to Apple's Mac, iPad, iPhone and iPod lines. The new placement for the Apple TV suggests that it's moving out of the "hobby" status that Apple executives have long assigned it.

Previously, the Apple TV was relegated to the iPod section. Last week, it was rumored that Apple was considering adding game support with Bluetooth controllers and a new App Store to the Apple TV, possibly as soon as March.

carousel.jpg
New (Top) and Old Apple Online Store Carousel
Apple has revised its shipping estimates with updated information for those shopping for gifts ahead of Valentine's Day. All products, with the exception of the Mac Pro, currently are in stock and will arrive with free shipping in time for the holiday if ordered before February 5th. Deadlines for 2-3 day shipping and next-day shipping are February 10 and 11, respectively. Engraved items require additional processing and must be ordered one day earlier.

This advertising campaign extends to the company's Apple Store app (iTunes link), which was updated with similar holiday graphics and a curated list of the "Top Valentine's Gifts." The Apple TV gets prominent placement in the app as well, appearing on the home screen just below the iPhone 5s and 5c.

Update: Apple is testing a much improved version of the Apple TV that would utilize existing iOS devices as game controllers, according to a report from 9to5Mac, and the company is also considering combining the Apple TV and AirPort Express products, testing a combined Apple TV and 802.11ac wireless router in order to ensure higher-quality streaming.

The site also says Apple is testing an Apple TV device that can control users' existing cable boxes with an Apple user interface overlaying their existing content. It was reported last year that Apple was in negotiations with cable companies and TV networks to allow customers to skip commercials on recorded shows and Apple would compensate programmers for the lost revenue. The company has also been looking to "erase the distinction" between live and on-demand video content.

Apple has long been rumored to have an improved Apple TV in the works, though there have been a number of conflicting reports over what the device will include. Apple has repeatedly said that it has has a number of new products in the works for 2014, most recently during its quarterly earnings call with analysts yesterday.

Thanks Alan!

Article Link: Apple TV Gains New Prominence in Apple Online Store with Valentine's Day Update [Updated]

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
9to5Mac also has some more info on the new hardware rumor:

We’re told that Apple has considered combining the Apple TV and AirPort Express products. Versions of the new Apple TV in testing are said to include an integrated 802.11ac wireless modem and router. The benefit here is that bandwidth and video quality for the device would likely be more pristine compared to if the device was leveraging a wireless router in another room. Many people already get their internet connection and TV content from the same wire, so putting everything in one box could make the overall home peripheral experience easier and simpler – an Apple trademark

We’re also told that the new Apple TV will likely feature a focus on gaming, and this lines up with a recent iLounge report. We’re led to believe that the game integration will utilize existing iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches as controllers.

Lastly, Apple has been testing versions of the Apple TV with a built-in TV tuner component so it has the ability to control your existing cable boxes/TV stations much like the since canceled Google TV. It’s likely that a user will be able to connect their existing set-up to this Apple TV and get an Apple-designed user-interface atop their content.

sounds like quite a beast!

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Integrating a modem into a Wi-Fi router/access point makes no sense unless this new hybrid device can also receive cable TV content and have some sort of DVR functionality - maybe cloud-based DVR. This would require a cable card integration, and then, having the modem in the same device starts making sense.

I, for one, would use the Access Point functionality, but I am using a more advanced routing device than what Apple has in its Airport Extreme/Time Capsule. In reality, I would rather have an Apple TV box independent of the router/access point/modem. At the very least, there should be a version that doesn't have everything in the same box.

The all-in-one box design is appealing to the majority of non-techie consumers, though - I realize that.

Last edited:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Rumors from 9to5Mac's own sources have a pretty much perfect reliability. 2013 was 100% perfect.

[In 2013,] 9to5 Mac posted an impressively high 73 rumor articles that turned out to be entirely true, and this included all of the articles derived from their own original sources-a truly impressive and commendable 30 articles in total. 9to5 Mac absolutely does have someone inside Apple (probably several someones) feeding them accurate information.
http://www.tuaw.com/2013/12/30/2013-rumor-retrospective-all-the-leaks-were/

iLouge is not too bad as well. They called that the iPhone 5 would have an elongated 4-inch screen and new dock connector. They also described the 5c perfectly before anyone else.

This is happening.

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
9to5Mac also has some more info on the new hardware rumor:

sounds like quite a beast!

Seriously cannot wait for this update. :D

As for the article, it's nice to see the Apple TV now getting more spotlight. I wonder if it will ever warrant it's own button at the top of the Apple site?

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Give us iTunes extras

Just restore the ability to play iTunes Extras for movies like the original Apple TV still has...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is the kind of stuff Apple needs so we can stop calling them iPhone, Inc. and start calling them Apple, Inc. again.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Adding in router functionality seems like overkill. I could easily see this end up costing $250-$300 if it did. I'm not sure it would be a killer product at that price point. Going from a $99 price point to a much higher price doesn't make much sense to me either.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
id much rather have the ability to use my existing macs as a airplay base station (incl video) instead of having to rely on third-party products.

but i'll also take a timely update to appletv as well.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Adding in router functionality seems like overkill. I could easily see this end up costing $250-$300 if it did. I'm not sure it would be a killer product at that price point. Going from a $99 price point to a much higher price doesn't make much sense to me either.

I could see the combination of an entertainment device/dvr/gaming system/router/time capsule to justify to Joe Consumer paying $200 for this. Apple wants their hardware margin and the current AppleTV isn't cutting it. But... if they could offer me the ability to kill off a couple other boxes, then maybe.

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008

I can see apple selling this for $199, which isn't bad really because your getting both an airport express and apple tv, all in one unit.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Just restore the ability to play iTunes Extras for movies like the original Apple TV still has...

Oh god, this please.

Been waiting for Apple to deliver their promise on iTunes Extras forever and now it's already 2014! :mad::mad::mad:

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I'd say that they are just as likely to build a router into an iMac, or a mac mini. It just doesn't make any sense. You want to be able to put your apple tv near your television set, putting a router in it just limits your placement options. And besides apple already makes a router that works perfectly fine.

As far as I'm concerned wifi is to flakey in a crowded wireless area for heavy streaming anyway, which is why my 4 apple tvs are connected by ethernet or power line AV.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The question of course is when.

Lately Apple has been on this June and Sept-Nov release schedule for all of their products.

They used to spread things out more, which to me was much better.

Hopefully this revamped Apple TV comes in the late winter early spring.

11thIndian

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Yup. I think we'll see something in the next couple of months, whether it's an model with an App Store or a more fully featured set top box, who knows.

I agree. There's a few too many sources of noise this time around for this too all be smoke and no fire this time.

• Game & Controller rumours
• Unannounced content providers
• Netflix at CES talking about 4K support for unreleased devices

While the first half of 2013 was barren of Apple Events, if 2014 is going to be a busy year, they'll probably want to get something out the door this Spring.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I'd say that they are just as likely to build a router into an iMac, or a mac mini. It just doesn't make any sense. You want to be able to put your apple tv near your television set, putting a router in it just limits your placement options. And besides apple already makes a router that works perfectly fine.

As far as I'm concerned wifi is to flakey in a crowded wireless area for heavy streaming anyway, which is why my 4 apple tvs are connected by ethernet or power line AV.
The reason for this is your iPhone or iPad will have a closer Access Point for the WiFi Connection. Your current WiFi Router may be on the other side of the house. Still best to hardwire your ATV.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Apple was in negotiations with cable companies and TV networks to allow customers to skip commercials on recorded shows and Apple would compensate programmers for the lost revenue

This is the dumbest idea ever.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
A router? What if you already have a Time Capsule?

A router? What if you already have a Time Capsule?

What would be the point of including a router in a Apple TV?

Streaming quality depends more on peering agreements (Netflix stuttering, etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.