Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
wow really nice my new pc is a cooler-master haf 912 usb 3.0 knn4 is the last of its model # gigabyte 970a-ud3 rev 3 motherboard amd fx-6300 with a coolermaster tx3 heat sink 16gb of corsair vengeance ram blue heat sinks, 250gb samsung 840 ssd 500gb hitache hd 1tb seagate hd for backups, 500gb 2.5in for music in itunes other media is on my itunes mac mini server for apple tv. msi geforce gtx 760 2gb oc on refernece cooler driving 2 23in aoc 1920x1080 monitors and a geforce 210 1gb driving 2 19in acer 1440x900 monitors

here is my build of my pc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTK7-nv7_g0 at the time i made the video i only put in 8gb of the ram i got the rest later and the video card i put in first is the pny geforce gtx 650

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I transitioned to using Macs years ago but still wanted a small reliable Windows based laptop on the go so I bought into the netbook craze.

[url=http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2569/4179817658_3dd32d680e_z.jpg]Image[/url]
Coffee Table Workspace

Thankfully, things have gotten a lot better five years later!

[url=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7330/12425713214_04c0e0ba59_z.jpg]Image[/url]
Microsoft Surface Pro Workspace

How do you like the surface? Would love to know since you are quite familiar with macs and the OSX experience.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
My gaming PC setup. Was a breeze to build and it's whisper quiet.

Specs:
Core i7-4820K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Asus Sabertooth X79
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance
Bluray burner
256 Samsung SSD
1TB WD Black
EVGA GeForce GTX 760
Blue LED fans in an NZXT mid tower

Mostly use it to play World of Warcraft, Star Wars the Old Republic, and The Sims 3. It has Windows 8.1 which I will admit I like. :eek: :)

Attachments

• setupfinal.jpg
    setupfinal.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 403

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
How do you like the surface? Would love to know since you are quite familiar with macs and the OSX experience.

I like the Surface Pro a lot, although let me make it clear that it's not for everyone. The mistake that people make is that they try to group this device with a tablet or an Ultrabook. It's neither so of course it will fall short in both categories. It's in a league of its own. If you are looking for a just a notebook, the MacBook Air is the way to go. If you are looking for just a tablet, then the iPad Air or Nexus 7 is what you should get.

I travel a lot for work and my company relies on Outlook (for Exchange) and Excel a lot. No matter what anyone says, Outlook 2011 is still not up to par with it's Windows counterpart and the same can be said about Excel. Having to run Parallels or boot into Windows through Bootcamp is not ideal since it shortens the battery drastically.

On some trips, I try to travel as light as possible and taking the iPad Air with the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard would be the perfect solution, however the Safari mobile browser is very limiting on some websites and there is quite a bit of compromise on productivity apps. The iPad Air would be great to take on vacation if I wanted to look at email, social media, etc. Speaking of traveling, the cool thing about taking the Surface Pro on trips is that you don't have to take it out of your bag through TSA screening since it's considered to be a tablet so it saves some time.

Now that I have the Surface Pro, I've been using my MacBook Air less and less and have been leaving the iPad Air at home to just read in bed and I just take the Surface on the go. With Dropbox or SkyDrive, all my work follows me no matter what system I'm on anyway. I know some people may not believe this but Internet Explorer has come a long way. IE 11 is a joy to use and I like it a lot better than Safari and Chrome. Safari on the iPad Air in iOS7 crashes a lot. Chrome has been a clusterf_k lately as well on the Mac (not sure how it is on the PC).

Hope that answers your question!

Last edited:

GrumpyGeek

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
Canada eh?
My gaming PC setup. Was a breeze to build and it's whisper quiet.

Specs:
Core i7-4820K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Asus Sabertooth X79
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance
Bluray burner
256 Samsung SSD
1TB WD Black
EVGA GeForce GTX 760
Blue LED fans in an NZXT mid tower

Mostly use it to play World of Warcraft, Star Wars the Old Republic, and The Sims 3. It has Windows 8.1 which I will admit I like. :eek: :)

That some nice hardware for something like WoW. What peripherals are you using?

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I use Logitech G13, G510 keyboard, and G9X mouse. The monitor is a 27" Planar, and JBL 2.1 speakers. Kingston headset as my Logitech G35's don't work with Windows 8.1.

I also play some other games on Steam, but mostly indie titles. :)

GrumpyGeek

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
Canada eh?
I use Logitech G13, G510 keyboard, and G9X mouse. The monitor is a 27" Planar, and JBL 2.1 speakers. Kingston headset as my Logitech G35's don't work with Windows 8.1.

I also play some other games on Steam, but mostly indie titles. :)

I use to play wow and am considering going back to just play casual here and there

Johbremat

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
This is in the 'past' category.

15otjbd.jpg

Been many years since I had this. Used to run the three 20" screens off a Matrox TH2Go, the predecessor to the likes of Eyefinity.

Kaelynlock

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
Very nice setup. Just wondering what keyboard you're using? I am in the market for a new one so i am asking everybody.

I'm using a Coolermaster Quickfire TK with brown keys, it is a bit pricey but I have been incredibly happy with it, the design of it is very intuitive as it incorporates the arrow keys into the numberpad allowing you to switch between them as you wish to.

Would not go back to a rubberdome keyboards now after trying mechanical, the difference in them is amazing.

GrumpyGeek

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
Canada eh?
I'm using a Coolermaster Quickfire TK with brown keys, it is a bit pricey but I have been incredibly happy with it, the design of it is very intuitive as it incorporates the arrow keys into the numberpad allowing you to switch between them as you wish to.

Would not go back to a rubberdome keyboards now after trying mechanical, the difference in them is amazing.

I currently have the steelseries with black switches. I have been looking at the CM Quickfire Rapid with blue switches

Kaelynlock

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
I believe they are phasing out the quickfire rapid, I read it on another forum. It might be worth waiting for their next release, if you're desperate for the rapid then you should buy it now before the stock disappears!

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
My modest set up (yes I'm left handed :( )

and inside the case:

Clean build... Nice... I wish I could keep my desk that clean... and I wish I had the room to put my rig on my desk... away from dusty floors. You have a very nice office setup.

I use a TKL Filco with mx blue switiches. I love mechs...:)

matixryder

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
I currently have the steelseries with black switches. I have been looking at the CM Quickfire Rapid with blue switches

Hello there, I have used blue switch on my Filco a few years ago; my finger tips were numbed after a few hours of typing. You should try brown which is some kind of combination between blue and black; brown switch is much better for me. Also, CM quickfire does not feel very good for me; I bought one for my friend yesterday, tried it and I don't like it very much. Take a look at Ducky Shine III; Ducky is making amazing keyboards.

Last edited:

Funkatronic

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Pune, India
Hello there, I have used blue switch on my Filco a few years ago; my finger tips were numbed after a few hours of typing. You should try brown which is some kind of combination between blue and black; brown switch is much better for me. Also, CM quickfire does not feel very good for me; I bought one for my friend yesterday, tried it and I don't like it very much. Take a look at Ducky Shine III; Ducky is making amazing keyboards.

Although Ducky is indeed the holy grail (to me atleast) when it comes to mech keyboards, I don't understand what you meant when you said the Quickfire doesnt feel good to you. Considering you used a Filco, what exactly about the QF did you not like? (both CM and Filco are made by the same OEM - Costar)

I currently use a QuickFire TK with Browns just like Kaelynlock, but chose that over a Filco considering they are built similar, and the CM is more VFM.

Would gladly give it away though if I could find a Shine 2 TKL with browns somewhere though.

matixryder

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
I am using a ducky shine II right now. So, I can feel the differences in term of quality. The Quickfire looks like a heavy duty keyboard. I prefer the elegant traditional look of Ducky Shine. In term of look, the Quickfire Pro doesn't look very nice. I know that the price of the Ducky Shine II is more expensive, but there are a lot of keyboards with medium price tag have this premium look such as Steelseries, Razer or TTs Sport. Also, I think the key caps quality on the Quickfire are not as good; the quality of the switches are good also. The quickfire brown switches sound a lot louder compare to my Ducky's brown switches. Also, to reduce the cost, Coolermaster doesn't put the led lights for all the keys; this problem may not matter to many people, but I give Quickfire another minus point for it.

Last edited:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
My first Windows computer was one I built that was considered a "screamer" in its day.

486 33
8 megs of RAM
2 x 120meg drives
Vesa Local Bus 1 meg Hercules video card
300 baud modem added later with Telix and Qmodem

I also ran on the same system later Linux and OS/2.

From that time, I have lost count on all the PCs I have built for myself and for others. I moved to Mac when Vista came out as I went from annoyed by MS to furious. My fav OS remains OS/2 followed by OSX and various Linux distributions.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
My first Windows computer was one I built that was considered a "screamer" in its day.

486 33
8 megs of RAM
2 x 120meg drives
Vesa Local Bus 1 meg Hercules video card
300 baud modem added later with Telix and Qmodem

I also ran on the same system later Linux and OS/2.

From that time, I have lost count on all the PCs I have built for myself and for others. I moved to Mac when Vista came out as I went from annoyed by MS to furious. My fav OS remains OS/2 followed by OSX and various Linux distributions.

Post some pics of your past rigs... from the thread title it does say "Past & Present". That's what this thread is all about right?:)

BTW... I don't blame you moving to Mac at the time you did... Vista was a horrible Windows OS release. I love technology in general, so I'm open to all platforms and products... including Apple products. I'm still trying to talk my wife into a Mac Pro for her home office... but she will probably get a MB Pro or iMac. I guess I could justify why I stick with Windows PC's... but I'm not going there. I'm happy with my current gaming rig... and that's all that matters.:cool:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Post some pics of your past rigs... from the thread title it does say "Past & Present". That's what this thread is all about right?:)

BTW... I don't blame you moving to Mac at the time you did... Vista was a horrible Windows OS release. I love technology in general, so I'm open to all platforms and products... including Apple products. I'm still trying to talk my wife into a Mac Pro for her home office... but she will probably get a MB Pro or iMac. I guess I could justify why I stick with Windows PC's... but I'm not going there. I'm happy with my current gaming rig... and that's all that matters.:cool:

I know that somewhere I must have pix of my generic case on my original 486. I also have somewhere in a box the Timex-Sinclair Z-80 chip "computer" which was I guess about the size of the wireless Mac keyboard and about 3/4 inch thick. It had a membrane keypad and was meant to be hooked up to a TV. If I recall correctly, it had about 16k to work with and no ability to add any storage of any sort. I think my first project on that one was to program a clock. Those were fun days. If I manage to find any photos, I'll post but don't count on it. (g)

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Left

Quad core i5 3350p 3.1ghz
16gb 1600mhz DDR3
2.5tb's total hdd storage
GTX 660 Msi 2gb

Right
233mhz pentium II
320mb 100mhz sdram
4gb ide 5400rpm hdd
256mb Geforce FX 5500
Windows 95

1890595_589098071183187_2056820941_o.jpg

Kaelynlock

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
Old setups:

NZXT original guardian case bought for me by an old boyfriend:
dudI2da.jpg

NZXT Apollo case I won in a competition:
sI6auqw.jpg

Both cases together when I donated one to my younger brother:
Ace6nGh.jpg

Coolermaster CM690II:
6YBuWiJ.jpg

Ventures into watercooling:
YtZec1G.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.