Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following its mobile phone report earlier this week, research firm IDC has published its estimates of tablet shipments for the fourth quarter of 2013, showing that Apple continues to lead the market with roughly one-third of all shipments.

idc_4Q13_tablets.jpg
Worldwide tablet shipments in 4Q13 in millions of units (Source: IDC)

Apple's share of the market has generally declined over the past two years amid the proliferation of low-cost Android tablets, particularly unbranded "whitebox" devices in the Chinese market. The holiday quarter with refreshed iPads did, however, allow Apple to raise its share of the market to 33.8 percent from 29.7 percent in the previous quarter.
Apple once again led the worldwide market for tablets, shipping 26 million units during the quarter, up from 14.1 million the previous quarter and 22.9 million in 4Q12. While the quarter represented the company's most successful on record, its year-over-year growth of 13.5% was well below the industry average. The numbers bring into focus the challenges the company faces as it attempts to grow its tablet business in markets outside of its traditional mature-market strongholds and in the face of continued success from competitors both large and small.

Apple saw its worldwide tablet market share for the quarter grow to 33.8%, up from 29.7% in the third quarter but down from its 38.2% share in the fourth quarter of 2012.
idc_4Q13_tablets_trend.jpg
Apple's iPad shipments (red) and share of worldwide tablet shipments (blue) for 2Q11-4Q13 (Source: IDC)

As always, it is important to note that IDC's numbers track shipments instead of sales, and thus how many shipped devices are making their way into consumers' hands remains unclear. IDC's figures are also estimates, as most companies do not release their exact tablet shipment data and thus research firms must rely on supply chain data and calculations from information that is made public by manufacturers to build their estimates.

Article Link: Apple's Share of Tablet Market Sees Slight Holiday Quarter Boost

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Definitely feel that the "iPad Pro" and the next generation iPad Air/Mini will help with growth. Can't wait for TouchID as part of the next iPad and I'm in!

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Must be the area where I live. All I see are iPads, on planes, meetings, social events. Very few of the others.

Maybe it's shipped vs. sold & use.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Apple's iPad sales blossomed. The market share declined...

The PC market is being destroyed. That was my takeaway.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Must be the area where I live. All I see are iPads, on planes, meetings, social events. Very few of the others.

The vast majority of tablets never go further than the home or car. Most are family consumption devices.

Shipped vs sold has been debunked thoroughly on this site. The majority of what people call Apple's "sold" number is in fact shipped. The only sales that Apple counts to end user are online, in Apple stores, and some education. So shipped vs sold is not a factor.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
What about that difference between Gartner and IDC in estimated US Mac sales. They came to radically different conclusions. Now that Apple has reported 4.8 million Mac sales, an increase from last year's 4.1 million for the same quarter, do we believe that Gartner's higher estimate of U.S. sales was more likely to be correct?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

Same, that's all I see too. Literally all - can't recall ever seeing anyone using an android tablet in the wild. Of course, that's one man's meaningless anecdotal experience... But these numbers still surprise me.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
The vast majority of tablets never go further than the home or car. Most are family consumption devices.

Shipped vs sold has been debunked thoroughly on this site. The majority of what people call Apple's "sold" number is in fact shipped. The only sales that Apple counts to end user are online, in Apple stores, and some education. So shipped vs sold is not a factor.

The difference is Apple products are consistently out of stock so the shipped number does quite accurately represent the sold number. Samsung I see a few products around but tbh most are on shelves in say supermarkets lol. apart from Tesco whos offering I consider to be better value for money actually.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
More silly market share figures based on what exactly? And what is this "other" category? A bunch of cheap $50 tablets selling in China or at toy stores? To me these numbers are meaningless because there is no way to validate them. I don't care that Cook might reference these guys on conference calls, I still don't trust their accuracy. Especially when they have a habit of restating prior quarters without explanation (that "other" category always gets bigger).

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Apple still has a chance with tablets because they're more competitively priced.

Look at the price of an iPad against the cost of an iPhone and tell me if you notice something strange. Which would you expect to be more expensive?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Will be interesting to see what will happen once the tablet market growth slows (which could be a while).

As the cheaper tablets get better, I would expect the Apples share as well as profits to decline. Wonder if the iPad prices will eventually have to start dropping.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The difference is Apple products are consistently out of stock so the shipped number does quite accurately represent the sold number. Samsung I see a few products around but tbh most are on shelves in say supermarkets lol. apart from Tesco whos offering I consider to be better value for money actually.

Hyperbole aside, I'm not quite sure what you're saying with your post. I wasn't denying accuracy of anyone's numbers. I just didn't want to see this thread turn into the inevitiable "Apple sells, everybody else ships to warehouses" meme.

I'm not a brand fan of any company so I want to see more of them succeed. More competition is good for the companies and good for the consumer. No one can rest on their laurels.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Except Apple sold all of 26 million "shipped" units per their earnings yesterday.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
As always, it is important to note that IDC's numbers track shipments instead of sales, and thus how many shipped devices are making their way into consumers' hands remains unclear. IDC's figures are also estimates, as most companies do not release their exact tablet shipment data and thus research firms must rely on supply chain data and calculations from information that is made public by manufacturers to build their estimates.

I wish I'd thought of making money selling reports containing random stabs in the dark - sorry, I mean carefully calculated figures - about what other businsesses may or may not be doing... :D

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Apple's iPad sales blossomed. The market share declined...

The PC market is being destroyed. That was my takeaway.

The PC and Apple desktops/laptop markets are going to be reduced due to the expansion of tablets.

There will most likely be a time where only professionals who need the versatiliy and extra power of a laptop/desktop will be the target demograhic for desktops and laptops.

Kind of the way laptops reduced desktops market share overtime.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
Definitely feel that the "iPad Pro" and the next generation iPad Air/Mini will help with growth. Can't wait for TouchID as part of the next iPad and I'm in!

i cant see most people using touchID for the ipad. i know that i dont even use any buttons on my ipad. i use the smart case to sleep/wake and the five finger pinch to close apps. plus i dont even use a password.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
Could you ever trust them? ;-)

I'm just sick of their constant beating of the "market share" drum. Sure, market share is a valid data point, but it's not the only one.

While I mostly agree with you, especially at this point in the maturity of the tablet, as the market matures, real market share (sold vs shipped) will become a more important data point. Apple will need to maintain some form of meaningful market presence in the post-PC era or once again be relegated to the status of 'that other' computer company.

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Samsung starting to kick some butt in the tablet market! 85%!? Damn

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

It's a factor long term in the future companies will be more conservative with their purchase volume.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Samsung starting to kick some butt in the tablet market! 85%!? Damn

Yeah… and around here there were all sorts of promotions going on… Buy a Samsung phone and get a tablet for free… by a Samsung TV and get a tablet for free… sneeze and say "Samsung" at the same time and get a tablet for free. :)

Not to say they don't have a good solution, but there was tons of promotions going on over the holidays that put a these in customers hands at a low to no cost. I wonder how much money they actually made in this segment?

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010

Yes. There are massive warehouses in the midwest where Samsung and others are storing tablets to make the market share numbers look better on macrumors.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth

For Apple I agreed. However it's the other companies I'm referring to.

As to "The vast majority of tablets never go further than the home or car. Most are family consumption devices." I can agreed to that too, however the percentage I see in the wild is still mostly iPads. If Apple only have 33% of the market share I've not see the other 66% in the wild. Not where I usually visit. Must be where I live?

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I think I missed the part where competitors like Samsung actually announced their unit sales numbers.... oh wait, no I didn't, that never happened. All we know is that Samsung sold a total of 100M "Galaxy Devices" including low-end devices with the name "Galaxy" on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.