Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A Gmail glitch earlier this month resulted in some users accidentally deleting emails and unintentionally reporting others as spam (via The Verge). The bug occurred when users were managing their inboxes, and the system inadvertently applied these actions to the wrong email messages.

gmail-ios-bug.png
In a notice appearing for some Gmail users, Google confirmed this issue occurred between January 15 and 22 and is now fixed. It only affected users who accessed Gmail via the iOS app, a mobile browser, or offline in a desktop browser. Google advises users to check their spam folder and trash for emails that were marked incorrectly.

The issue is the second round of technical difficulties for Google's Gmail service in less than a week. Late last week, Google's cloud services went offline for approximately an hour. The Friday afternoon outage affected Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Talk, Google Drive, Google Groups and other services.

Article Link: Gmail Bug Mislabeled Some Messages as Spam or Trash

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Good job I don't use Gmail. Not that a bug like this is really a problem as long as effected messages are in your Spam or Trash folder.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Just another reason to save emails locally. One day you may wake up and lose messages. That's the only big negative for IMAP.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Good thing I primarily use Apple Mail on iOS and Mac, and that my main inbox is on a server in my house.

The first fruits of shoving Google out of my life are yielding themselves. (There's also something super satisfying about having your own domain... It feels so much more professional or something.)

epic-retouching

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2014
went to @me a few years ago and not had a problem with it. I use my old gmail for random crap though. @me for serious stuff. Works well, less of a hacking threat.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
If you guys are trying to say that @me, @mac, @icloud emails have no problems, then I KKNOW you guys are joking. Apple email has been the worse email system I've ever used.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Just another reason to save emails locally. One day you may wake up and lose messages. That's the only big negative for IMAP.

That is a risk I am willing to take... I am never going back to POP3, that was horrible, you would only be able to download emails on to one devices, so no checking mail from your iPhone, macbook and iPad.

And if you managed to have an option for "keep emails after downloading them", like Gmail did for their POP3. Everything would be out of sync, your read emails, and your deleted emails. POP3 was a mess, unless you only used one devices, or only used their web service.

IMAP is such a step up, everything sync'd at all times, is like a dream come true.

nkm

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
I wonder is google shares it spam data with apple because I was having a few ligament people, who I have emailed previously, all of a sudden show up as junk in my iCloud inbox... And the emails were just text, nothing at all that would set off any alarm as to be spam.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Oh please guys, Apple's MobileMe/iCloud has had quite a few problems - and I know that because they've been posted on this website on the front and second page lol.

Anyways, that's a pretty embarrassing bug for Google. Fortunately it seems pretty reversible unless you're OCD and constantly empty your spam or trash without checking it.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
That is a risk I am willing to take... I am never going back to POP3, that was horrible, you would only be able to download emails on to one devices, so no checking mail from your iPhone, macbook and iPad.

And if you managed to have an option for "keep emails after downloading them", like Gmail did for their POP3. Everything would be out of sync, your read emails, and your deleted emails. POP3 was a mess, unless you only used one devices, or only used their web service.

IMAP is such a step up, everything sync'd at all times, is like a dream come true.

I use IMAP on my iPhone, iPad, Mac Mini, and MacBook Pro. My Mac Mini saves my emails locally. But only the ones I copy into the 'Archive' folder (basically after I read it and need it for reference again)

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
If you think you have lost emails due to this glitch, please call 1-800-NSA-HASIT.:D

In the world we live in, we have to get used to the fact that glitches happen. And data loss happen. If there is something that is truly of value that you cannot afford to lose, you should be taking steps to have multiple copies located in geographically diverse locations.

ZOZO2

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
Good thing I primarily use Apple Mail on iOS and Mac, and that my main inbox is on a server in my house.

The first fruits of shoving Google out of my life are yielding themselves. (There's also something super satisfying about having your own domain... It feels so much more professional or something.)

I have a similar setup at home. I have a VPN set up which lets me access me two servers via AFP, SMB, SSH or VNC. It also lets me access my Solaris VM, which I use mainly for ZFS support. Try getting good ZFS support on OS X... It's not fun. It's certainly not reliable enough to even call it "ZFS support". A VM is the only way I found to handle bit rot on OS X. Kinda sad...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I recommend DuckDuckGo as a different search engine.

The only thing I still have left tied to Google is my support website - I'm too busy with other stuff right now, but in a few months I plan on moving that to the same server that runs my email.

Last edited by a moderator:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I recommend DuckDuckGo as a different search engine.

The only thing I still have left tied to Google is my support website - I'm too busy with other stuff right now, but in a few months I plan on moving that to the same server that runs my email.
DuckDuckGo would be such a perfect Trojan horse. ;)

epic-retouching

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2014
Except MobileMe and iCloud are usually down most of the time compared to Google's services.

haven't had down time for a very long time now. I know who I trust more and that is what matters most :) However I do like google's innovations.

Doubt I will ever stop using Google search, they are too far ahead and enjoy being awesome at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.