Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While developer Steven Troughton-Smith has shared several screenshots and a video of iOS in the Car running on iOS 7.0.3, the iOS 7.1 beta currently available to developers offers even more iOS in the Car functionality, including a redesign.

According to Troughton-Smith, it is difficult to access iOS in the Car in iOS 7.0.3, but another developer, Denis Stas, has discovered that it's much easier to access iOS in the Car in iOS 7.1 and has detailed how to enable the feature using iOS Simulator.

Stas details three steps that are necessary to get iOS in the Car running in iOS Simulator with iOS 7.1:

- Download the second developer preview of Xcode 5.1
- Clone https://github.com/zyafa/iOSCar
- Build and run cloned project and follow included instructions

Developers with access to iOS 7.1 and Xcode 5.1 DP2 will be able to give iOS in the Car a try, but non-developers will not be able to access the necessary software.

According to Stas, the current implementation of iOS in the Car is both unofficial and unstable. The iOS 7.1 version of iOS in the Car features a different design than was previously seen in iOS 7.0.3, featuring a look more in line with the style of iOS 7.

As noted earlier today, these design changes may be the result of organizational issues that have affected the development of iOS in the Car. While iOS in the Car can be accessed by developers using iOS Simulator, it remains unclear when Apple might officially debut the feature.

Article Link: Enable iOS in the Car in iOS Simulator With iOS 7.1 Beta

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Executive-level uncertainty about the product's future is not at all good for Apple's relationships with car manufacturers.

Cars are big purchases; you keep them for a long time (5-10 years typically). It's important that what is integrated in those cars will be supported for that kind of time-frame.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
iOS in the car is great news. It means that "Angry Birds in the car" won't be far away!

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Executive-level uncertainty about the product's future is not at all good for Apple's relationships with car manufacturers.

Cars are big purchases; you keep them for a long time (5-10 years typically). It's important that what is integrated in those cars will be supported for that kind of time-frame.

Agreed!

ffcphone

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Disagree. Those buying iPhones will on average keep a car for 1-3 years max in my view.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

no, it won't work like that. it will be a feature that the in-dash hardware supports, based entirely on the iOS device offering it. if future iOS drops the feature (or apple goes away, because doomed), then the in-dash will continue to work, just not iOS in the Car functionality.

just like a Pioneer aftermarket -- my AppRadio supports Siri Eyes-free, but if my iPhone goes away it's no big deal.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
no, it won't work like that. it will be a feature that the in-dash hardware supports, based entirely on the iOS device offering it. if future iOS drops the feature (or apple goes away, because doomed), then the in-dash will continue to work, just not iOS in the Car functionality.

just like a Pioneer aftermarket -- my AppRadio supports Siri Eyes-free, but if my iPhone goes away it's no big deal.

Yes but that would give a poor experience. People will blame the car manufacturers and Apple when the workflow they've become used to stops working.

Cars are big-ticket purchases, with lots of emphasis on brands and reputations. Keeping customers happy is important. If Apple starts soiling their good rapport, they won't be happy to work so closely with Apple in the future.

sjwr

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
United States
iOS Mission Control reference on BMW display

Listening to iTunes Radio in car today and noticed strange reference to iOS 8 Mission Control where song title normally appears.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-02-24 08.02.28.png
    Screenshot 2014-02-24 08.02.28.png
    605 KB · Views: 167

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
All this integration into automobiles begs the question, should apple think about doing iTunes via satellite radio? They are signing apple tv content deals with major broadcasters according to rumours, they could do the same for the radio services..Having a satellite radio run my pre selected favourite channels and using my habits from itunes on mac , on the phone etc would be something that would be much smoother and customised. I know the faster approach would be to have folks use their data to use itunes radio but just a thought !

BTW Does anyone know how much data 1 hr of itunes radio consume?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.