Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A rumored 12.9-inch iPad may still have significant development time left, according to an analyst at IHS, a supply chain research firm. According to CNET, IHS analyst Rhoda Alexander said there were a number of different larger panels, that could be potentially for a larger iPad, floating around display manufacturers -- but not in volumes necessary for an imminent launch.
"Some manufacturers over the last six months have received sample quantities of a larger panel. They're playing around with a product that could possibly be an iPad-related product," she told CNET in a phone interview.

"Various sizes are being reported with 12.85 inches being one of the sizes," she said.
12_9_ipad_ipads_dark-800x450.jpg
Mockup of 12.9-inch iPad next to iPad Air and iPad mini
Alexander went on to say that IHS did not see significant shipments of any of the larger panels, and suggested that there may not be a market for iPads larger than the current 9.7-inch model. "We have to get a lot further down the line in terms of seeing really strong indicators from Apple that such a product exists, and we're just not at that point."

Samsung launched a 12.2-inch Galaxy tablet earlier this year with some reviewers saying the device was not very portable and awkward to hold for long periods of time.

According to a research report from Evercore analyst Patrick Wang, Apple's larger iPad may be aimed at the enterprise market. Recent rumors have indicated that the 12.9-inch iPad will launch no earlier than the third quarter of 2014.

Article Link: Analyst Skeptical About Imminent Launch for 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro'

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
Maybe this will be a combination MacBook Air/iPad Air.. with the back of the MacBook Air screen acting as an iPad screen. There could be direct integration with the hardware as well.. like sharing of the SSD or something. Is there a market for that? I don't know.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
i think there is still something to this rumor, not so much a bigger iPad still running iOS that would be pointless. But something is up possibly the end of the mba line soon in replace of something else all retina??

hopefully the new stuff starts rolling out in 2014:apple:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Our college has successfully deployed iPads among various staff members. The main advantage is their greater portability over standard laptops. The iPads offer most of the functionality the staff members need. So would "professionals" really need the slightly bigger real estate a bigger iPad would offer? I think it would be a niche market, like the Mac Pro.

Also, given the fact that the iPad Mini is selling like hotcakes, perhaps bigger truly isn't better for Apple.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
One analyst says that the product another analyst made up isnt ready yet. Analystception.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
iOS supporting some desktop apps like Xcode, Terminal and Finder would be nice. Could be a iOS Pro version just like there is an OSX Server version.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
From all reliable sources, this is not a larger iPad, but rather a retina MacBook Air coming in at 12-inches and cut from the same display sheets used for iPad retina display to save on costs.

If Apple does an iPad Pro, I don't know if they are going to go bigger but rather beefier in features and performance. Who knows though. Supply chain rumors based on components are hard to read until product shells start showing up.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Who is this product aimed at?

Pro users (better off using MacBook Pro if they are doing serious work)
Regular users (they will use iPad or iPad mini)

teejaysplace

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
I like the idea of the rendering being done on a table full of plans (sure beats an elevator shot) but there is an unfathomable amount of screen real estate wasted on that larger iPad. The ultimate product would benefit by either making the icons bigger (or resizable) or reduce the size of the grid.

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
I think the app grid starts to fail with that many icons. It's reminds me of the things I don't like about Launchpad.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
iOS supporting some desktop apps like Xcode, Terminal and Finder would be nice. Could be a iOS Pro version just like there is an OSX Server version.

There better be some advantage other than just a bigger screen if they are going after the Pro market. I have an iPad Air that I mainly use for email, internet browsing, and reading/writing documents in a professional setting. Pretty much everything else is better served with a Mac.

Personally, I want Apple to release a Remote App for Final Cut like they have for Logic. Include an option to use the iPad as a video monitor for when editing on a laptop, and they would introduce a major advantage over Premiere or Avid.

If they call it Pro, they should also have the touchscreen be able to interact with a stylus much better than it does now. The iPad is basically useless for writing notes or detailed drawings. If they figure out how to match the quality of Wacom, they would be selling iPads in masses to designers and other digital artists, along with people just looking to take notes.

I think just introducing a bigger iPad with a minor bump in specs would sell to a very limited market and end up being a much bigger disappointment than the 5c's sales.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
First TV?

After getting a iPad Mini I use my iPad as a desktop TV for monitoring the news. So a bigger iPad would be a bigger TV for me. I think the current iPad is a bit large for everyday portable usage. My Mini is about the right size for everyday usage outside the home.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I'm no expert. But I've taken this iPad Pro thing with a grain of salt to begin with. It just seems unlikely. But it certainly has enough traction now for it not to be a surprise if ends up being true.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
There better be some advantage other than just a bigger screen if they are going after the Pro market. I have an iPad Air that I mainly use for email, internet browsing, and reading/writing documents in a professional setting. Pretty much everything else is better served with a Mac.

Personally, I want Apple to release a Remote App for Final Cut like they have for Logic. Include an option to use the iPad as a video monitor for when editing on a laptop, and they would introduce a major advantage over Premiere or Avid.

If they call it Pro, they should also have the touchscreen be able to interact with a stylus much better than it does now. The iPad is basically useless for writing notes or detailed drawings. If they figure out how to match the quality of Wacom, they would be selling iPads in masses to designers and other digital artists, along with people just looking to take notes.

I think just introducing a bigger iPad with a minor bump in specs would sell to a very limited market and end up being a much bigger disappointment than the 5c's sales.

Agreed. I have a Galaxy Note I and the pen is of the lowest-end Wacom model. Even newer Notes use the same low-end wacom tech. If Apple brings a precise pen, i.e., you can precisely draw a point on the screen coinciding exactly with the pen tip, it would be a major update.

sully54

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Canada
Perhaps all this talk about a bigger iPad plus all the rumours about a bigger iPhone may mean that apple has finally figured out resolution independence for iOS devices.

A 13 inch iPad creeps into the territory of the kind of productivity you can get on a MacBook Air without the keyboard. Working on a bigger screen makes content creation on a touch interface much easier in my mind. Plus it would now allow for a full size on screen keyboard making typing more natural.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
I really can't imagine the purpose of an iPad Pro. You could do much more on a MBA and MBA. I can't make sense of any of this. :confused:

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
There will never be a 13" iPad. It's such a preposterous product to even consider.
A larger iPhone? Sure absolutely. Smaller iPad? obviously a great idea. But larger iPad? Who but a niche market would this product be aimed at. Even dwindling iPod users would have a larger market.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
There will never be a 13" iPad. It's such a preposterous product to even consider.
A larger iPhone? Sure absolutely. Smaller iPad? obviously a great idea. But larger iPad? Who but a niche market would this product be aimed at. Even dwindling iPod users would have a larger market.

Providing the cost of manufacture isn't too great (which could be alleviated by using the screen tech in a notebook such as the Air) then it could be viable for them to go ahead and do it regardless of market.

sully54

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Canada
I have a feeling that IF (big if) apple does release a 13" ipad, that they're going to cut the 13" air and have the 11" join the rMBP line.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
Our college has successfully deployed iPads among various staff members. The main advantage is their greater portability over standard laptops. The iPads offer most of the functionality the staff members need. So would "professionals" really need the slightly bigger real estate a bigger iPad would offer? I think it would be a niche market, like the Mac Pro.

Also, given the fact that the iPad Mini is selling like hotcakes, perhaps bigger truly isn't better for Apple.

I own and iPad and an iPad Mini.
99% of the time I use the mini simply because its easier to hold in one hand for long periods. Its not just a weight thing, it is also a "torque" issue where if you hold the iPad by a corner it has a rotational torque which is MUCH higher for the iPad than for the mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.