Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook is currently in Ireland visiting the company's facilities in Cork and preparing to meet with government officials this afternoon, according to a report from TheJournal.ie. The specific reason for Cook's visit is unknown, but Apple has maintained a significant presence in the country for several decades.
The CEO of Apple will be meeting with Taoiseach Enda Kenny later today after addressing staff in the company's Cork office this morning.

Tim Cook spoke to employees in Apple's Hollyhill premises about the firm's future plans. The Taoiseach will take a tour of the facility later today and meet with Cook.
apple_hollyhill_cork.jpg
Apple's Hollyhill facilities in Cork, Ireland (Reuters/Michael MacSweeney)
Apple, which has 4,000 employees at its Hollyhill facility, has used its Irish base for decades as its home for operations in Europe and elsewhere, with the company coming under scrutiny last year for its corporate structure funneling revenue through subsidiaries located in the country in order to minimize its tax burden.

Apple has steadily increased its workforce in Cork as the company has grown in recent years, and Cook and Kenny are likely meeting to at least help maintain the long-standing relationship between Apple and Irish officials, perhaps with an eye on the company's future plans.

Earlier this month, Cook traveled to China to help launch sales of the iPhone on China Mobile, the world's largest carrier.

Update: TheJournal.ie has updated its article, quoting Kenny as saying that he and Cook discussed Ireland's participation in EU-wide conversations about clarifying tax issues.
Kenny didn't say if it was himself or Cook who brought the subject up, but said that the Apple CEO was "exceptionally happy" with the work the Cork office has done.

When asked whether this would mean further investment from the company, Kenny said that it was a matter for Apple to decide, but said that for now, the company is "very happy with the results from Cork and they want that to continue."

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Heads to Ireland to Visit Government Officials, Company Facilities

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Nothing wrong with what they are doing. All companies do it. Find me one person that does not try to limit their tax burden as much as possible.

Any complainer can surely pay more taxes themselves if they would like. The IRS won't mind. :D

jonAppleSeed

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2013
Nothing wrong with what they are doing. All companies do it. Find me one person that does not try to limit their tax burden as much as possible.

Any complainer can surely pay more taxes themselves if they would like. The IRS won't mind. :D

"The specific reason for Cook's visit is unknown"

But we all know why he's there

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Maybe they will FINALLY open an Apple Store in Ireland......... ;)

or it could simply be to deliver a brown envelope to Irish MP's :D
(we all know about the brown envelopes in Ireland).

----------

But we all know why here's there

Why is here, there ?

----------

Yes but the tax funnel means they don't pay much tax here either, but the Irish government can't do anything out of fear of losing 4000 jobs......

But hey if St.Bono is comfortable not paying tax in Ireland, we can't be harsh on Apple too much.

Ireland's government takings are massively inflated by channelling revenues through a country that's in reality a bit of a backwater for Apple. All of the other EU countries are losing out.

Despite being one of Apple's major markets the UK gets practically zilch. :(

2011 UK earnings £6 billion, tax paid £10 million
2012 avoided tax altogether by giving staff share bonuses

I like Apple so not moaning as much as I would about other companies... Google, Starbucks...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ireland's government takings are massively inflated by channelling revenues through a country that's in reality a bit of a backwater for Apple. All of the other EU countries are losing out.

Despite being one of Apple's major markets the UK gets practically zilch. :(

2011 UK earnings £6 billion, tax paid £10 million
2012 avoided tax altogether by giving staff share bonuses

You are under the assumption Apple pay lots of tax here though..... I think you'll be surprised if it wasn't similar to UK despite them having their Euro HQ here.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Probably right. The Double Irish arrangement makes interesting reading.

Yep...... The government will keep Apple sweet to protect the 4,000 jobs. We can not afford 4,000 more people on Social Welfare (let alone all those additional jobs that come from servicing those 4,000 workers) - where at the moment those folks are all working and paying the many new austerity taxes that are finally getting the country out of the hole it dug with the bank and property crisis.

iGraham4

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
They are pumping absolute millions into the place. There's major expansion plans for not just holly hill but for some other parts in Cork as well!

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You are under the assumption Apple pay lots of tax here though..... I think you'll be surprised if it wasn't similar to UK despite them having their Euro HQ here.

Well they probably pay more than they would normally in Ireland based on sales there. They divert income from the rest of Europe into Ireland because of the sweetheart deal they have with the Irish Govt.

All the other Countries in Europe lose out on tax revenue and not necessarily too happy with Ireland. Of course Apple is not alone Google, Starbucks etc. are all at it. Starbucks largest market outside the US is the UK and according to their annual reports they made a loss every year since they started operating in the UK.

Last edited:

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Tim comes with the news that Apple has trademarked " Shamrock" and will replace the Apple Logo with a Shamrock.

b-dogg

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
I'd wager Enda or any of the other shower even know what an apple store is. They probably think the one by the Molly Malone statue at the bottom of Grafton St is a real Apple Store.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I remember the last time he visited Cork and spoke to Apple employees. Shortly afterwards hundreds of us were let go. :eek:

He's like the Angel of Death 'round here. "Don't look him in the eyes!!!" :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.