Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday afternoon in his New York City apartment, a law-enforcement official said.

The New York Police Department is investigating, and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to determine exact cause of death. The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46 years old, was found dead at his apartment at 35 Bethune St. in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan.

Mr. Hoffman won the Academy Award for Best Actor for the 2005 film, "Capote."
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304626804579358943360702878

This one comes as a total shock.

Reports are now saying drug overdose.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Mr. Hoffman was one of my favorite of the current crop of actors.

By my definition of an excellent actor, one who inhabits the character...submerges therm self in the character, and has range...the ability to play many disparate roles, Mr. Hoffman was among the best. The great actors are, for me, more like character actors, than leading stars.

A great loss to film acting...

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Heroin has taken a lot of people's life by overdose, even if it was accidentally. Sad that he was a great talent and so young but unfortunately risking your life is one of the gambles you are taking when playing with that substance.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Addiction to Opioids is a disease not a personality trait. It kills. The good and the bad.

No need to make this personal about this actor.

One doctor says it's akin to advanced stage cancer. If you are addicted to heroin it is very hard to stop.

RIP Phil.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
From Scent of a Woman to Capote, he is a talent that will be sorely missed. Thank you, big guy, this rug will really tie the room together.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I could not believe it when I logged on here after work. He was such a talent and I had rented a few movies he was in recently (Moneyball, A Late Quartet, and The Master).

imurdaddy

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
He has been a junkie for a longtime...Has had several "interventions" and opportunities to enter rehab...This guy had resources and a support system...He died just before the bottom.
Liberal Hollywood...do as I say not as I do...

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Didn't come as a shock to me. Having read that he has had issues in the past, it was only a matter of time. Sad to read, but not a shock. Excellent actor in some pretty memorable roles.

RIP......

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Over the years it has continued to baffle me, why people who seemingly have it all, looks, intelligence, talent, good health, all the money they could ever need, fame, and a great career, would throw it all away for drugs. And the tragic passing of Hoffman appears to be yet another loss of a talented individual, falling in that same category: a death that did not need to happen. They have what most of us never will get in our lifetime, yet make seemingly incomprehensible choices.

Perhaps you'd have to be in their shoes to understand. Very sad nevertheless.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Yet another needless drug death. The penalty for dealing drugs should be death. Immediately. Follow Singapore's lead. No more needless deaths of talented people who get caught up in the "recreational drug" craze - cause you can't buy drugs on every street corner.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Thread closed for moderator review

Lets keep the PRSI comments out of this thread. If you wish to discuss such topics, please visit the PRSI forum.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
One of my favourite movies he was in was Flawless - he and Robert Deniro were both excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.