Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Not having any problem browsing with N3, multiple tabs etc. I do not have an iphone to compare but I can go to an Apple store and try it out of curiosity but regardless if it is much better which I doubt there still is that small screen. :)

iPhone vs Note 3. Which would you prefer to 'actually' browse the web with? mKTank has what we like to call a very 'biased' view. I find anything he says regarding Android pretty much contrary to what the rest of the world says. ;)

If someone claims a 3.99" screen is better to web browse over a 5+ inch screen usually has an Apple logo tattoo somewhere on their body.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
iPhone vs Note 3. Which would you prefer to 'actually' browse the web with? mKTank has what we like to call a very 'biased' view. I find anything he says regarding Android pretty much contrary to what the rest of the world says. ;)

If someone claims a 3.99" screen is better to web browse over a 5+ inch screen usually has an Apple logo tattoo somewhere on their body.

Yeah, my sig shows that I've very rarely used Android phones. So biased.

Bigger screen doesn't mean it's better at anything. It's worse at accurately and quickly rendering complex websites and design, and it's horribly unstable compared to Safari on iOS. Go do some research and educate yourself.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks
http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks

The Android phones don't even come close until (in multicore) you take into account some handsets with twice the specs in every way imaginable. Talk about a waste of resources and overcompensating for horrid software optimization. And this is just one benchmark. iPhone 5S (even the iPhone 5) totally wipes the floor with my Note 3 when it comes to anything Javascript related. It's pathetic how slow a Note 3 is at Javascript (SunSpider).

iPhones have been ahead in the web browsing department ever since Apple started beefing up its WebKit implementation, and practically all benchmarks I can find agree with me. But feel free to call me, and all of the thousands of users that submitted their own scores to these sites, biased, and tell me more about how "benchmarks don't translate to real world usage" (pro tip: they do for browsers).

You're one of those people that think a phone is better based on screen size and yet you're calling other people biased? Give me a break.

Last thread in which I argued with people who had literally zero case turned into a massive crapstorm. I'm not doing that again. You have the facts; apply them to your opinion or ignore it and keep calling people biased with no method of backing it up. Either way I'm not sticking around for the aftermath.

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Not everyone is a musician.

Of course not, but what he mentions is still worth bringing up. Music recording is an area in which Android is terribly behind, and that's too bad. In my case it means that I need to own at least one iOS device just because of that, whereas I'd much rather be able to record stuff on my Android phone just like I use it for pretty much anything else.

Bigger screen doesn't mean it's better at anything. It's worse at accurately and quickly rendering complex websites and design, and it's horribly unstable compared to Safari on iOS. Go do some research and educate yourself.

To some it does. Personally I find that the bigger screen is far more important than specs in this case (at least when comparing phones made within say the last two years). To me it doesn't matter how smoothly and quickly websites are rendered on an iPhone - no amount of speed and smoothness will make up for all the pinching and squinting I have to do with a 4" screen. I'm still using a Note 2 from 2011 and to me the web experience with this thing is just far more enjoyable than what I get from a 5S.

I accept that others will disagree though - it is a subjective preference after all. No point advocating either standpoint as if it was objective truth.

Come on, don't go down that cheap "fanboy" route. It only brings the worst out of everyone including yourself. :(

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
and tell me more about how "benchmarks don't translate to real world usage" (pro tip: they do for browsers).

Pro tip, they don't.

but as I know that arguing with someone like you is a waste of time, believe what you want, reality is what it is and your hatred against Android won't change that

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
What can an iPhone do that a android phone can't? [EDIT: and vice-versa]

Yep, I have tried Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Dolphin, and AOSP browser on my Note 3. AOSP was the best but it had some graphical issues (for some reason the phone icon shows up in the search results when you type in the address bar). All of them were still total crap compared to my old iPhone 5 when it came to Javascript, HTML5, and standards compliance in general. That was the deal breaker to me and one of a few major reasons why I went back to iPhone.

Also, the tab reloading thing has been fixed with 7.1. At least to a point where it's not really an issue until you open 10+ heavy tabs.

The big screen is nice, but JIT and the Dalvik runtime in general are crippling the browsers. I predict when the browsers are optimized for ART we may see an improvement. Until then, Safari is just better even with half (or a third in the case of RAM) the hardware.

I'll have to run them side by side to see these differences that you're talking about but honestly speaking I rather browse the web on my Note 3, the size and clarity of the screen is just more enjoyable. I prefer the iPhone for a lot of things like listening to music but browsing the web isn't one of them.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'll have to run them side by side to see these differences that you're talking about but honestly speaking I rather browse the web on my Note 3, the size and clarity of the screen is just more enjoyable. I prefer the iPhone for a lot of things like listening to music but browsing the web isn't one of them.

If the experience sucked with browsing on the Note 3, the screen size and resolution would ONLY be a preference to me personally. BUT I have no problems browsing with chrome and using multiple tabs for one thing so I'll take the N3 any day regardless that I have no experience with an iPhone even if the latter is better. Why wouldn't I since my vision isn't the greatest! :)

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I'm under the impression the only thing iOS can do that Android can't is the musician stuff.

Background audio is a semantics complaint IMO. :)

Rubberbanding is aesthetics, not functionality.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Yep, I have tried Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Dolphin, and AOSP browser on my Note 3. AOSP was the best but it had some graphical issues (for some reason the phone icon shows up in the search results when you type in the address bar). All of them were still total crap compared to my old iPhone 5 when it came to Javascript, HTML5, and standards compliance in general. That was the deal breaker to me and one of a few major reasons why I went back to iPhone.

Also, the tab reloading thing has been fixed with 7.1. At least to a point where it's not really an issue until you open 10+ heavy tabs.

The big screen is nice, but JIT and the Dalvik runtime in general are crippling the browsers. I predict when the browsers are optimized for ART we may see an improvement. Until then, Safari is just better even with half (or a third in the case of RAM) the hardware.

For me safari is just crap. I don't care how many points it scored but not having proper text reflow just make it lousy requiring side scrolling to read. It can't even fit a text column at your predefined reading font size.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

Neither.

I browse 99% of the time on my nexus 7 compared to my gs4. Mind you the gs4 has a 5 inch screen, giant compared to an iPhone. But I would rather play videos, read articles on web and watch videos on my nexus 7. Editing documents is also done 100000000 better on the tablet than the phone.

Some people just have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that some of us like a compact smartphone for efficient daily tasks than using it as a jack of all trades. Even after trying it out. Gs4 or note 3, they can't replace the experience given by a bigger tablet or laptop/hybrid or desktop etc. Some of us have no desire to force our smart phones to become our PCs.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Neither.

I browse 99% of the time on my nexus 7 compared to my gs4. Mind you the gs4 has a 5 inch screen, giant compared to an iPhone. But I would rather play videos, read articles on web and watch videos on my nexus 7. Editing documents is also done 100000000 better on the tablet than the phone.

Some people just have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that some of us like a compact smartphone for efficient daily tasks than using it as a jack of all trades. Even after trying it out. Gs4 or note 3, they can't replace the experience given by a bigger tablet or laptop/hybrid or desktop etc. Some of us have no desire to force our smart phones to become our PCs.

I don't know about that as it may still be in the honeymoon period BUT I haven't really gone to my Nexus 7 since I got the Note 3. The latter is that much more portable and has sufficed with what I was doing on the Nexus 7, even for gaming and watching some video.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Neither.

I can understand this. However for me my phone is the device I always have with me, do it has to be a jack of all trades. I don't always carry my tablet with me.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010

I don't know about that as it may still be in the honeymoon period BUT I haven't really gone to my Nexus 7 since I got the Note 3. The latter is that much more portable and has sufficed with what I was doing on the Nexus 7, even for gaming and watching some video.

Ditto, the nexus 7 is my newest toy and I still prefer the note 3 as my go to device after nearly 4 months. I'm sure some people prefer a much smaller phone but the note 3 isn't that cumbersome and can fit in almost all my pockets. Unless I'm wearing really tight pants where i can feel the farts creeping down my thighs, is the only time I carry the iPhone 5s exclusively. And that's very seldom :D

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Ditto, the nexus 7 is my newest toy and I still prefer the note 3 as my go to device after nearly 4 months. I'm sure some people prefer a much smaller phone but the note 3 isn't that cumbersome and can fit in almost all my pockets. Unless I'm wearing really tight pants where i can feel the farts creeping down my thighs, is the only time I carry the iPhone 5s exclusively. And that's very seldom :D

I don't like how the gs4 is so wide, forcing me to use it two handed all the time. A note would be much worse.

----------

I can understand this. However for me my phone is the device I always have with me, do it has to be a jack of all trades. I don't always carry my tablet with me.

The "has to be" part is overblown IMO. I personally feel that watching videos or browsing web for more than 30 minutes is cumbersome enough to be not worth it. Besides apart from a quick on the go look, I am not so thrilled to be watching videos or reading a magazine while standing in a line. For commutes, I always have a bigger screen aka the nexus which covers all those easily. As I said, to me, it just feels like forced usage just because it can.

helloimryan9

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2014
Upstate NY
Android phones aren't very well supported by the manufacturer. ESPECIALLY the low end ones, like my HTC One V. My phone hasn't received a single major update since its release in June 2012. The iPhone 3GS, which was released a full three years before, is still running newer software! ��
This may not be super important, but Android phones can't read/send emojis! Several people on Instagram have left me seemingly blank comments, but they're not blank, they just contain emojis! �� And if you're wondering how I'm typing them, I have a MacBook Pro.
Hopefully this noob helped you decide your next phone. ��

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
That's cool, but I find these big phones to be awkward wanna be tablets. I find the N7 to be perfectly portable and if I am watching videos or browsing websites, I am doing it in my spare time. In that case, I know the tablet will be with me. Infact I have sometimes thought of just getting a dumb phone and use my tablet for all that, since it makes me *more* productive not checking stuff out of impulse and I can live just fine. Too bad those are a dying breed in NA and none comes with a portable hotspot functionality. Tablet plans are a joke here in Canada.

To be honest though, if the xperia z1 compact as google edition was released and available in Canada I would jump on it asap.

There is a bunch of huge monster phones now in the Google line up. The only small guy is moto g with a piss poor camera. The Z1 compact would be a nice addition giving smaller frame with still great optics and specs. If there are people buying a z ultra at $700+ with just plain android, surely there are people who can also spend $500-600 on a compact phone with similar specs.

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

This is why the current iPhone screen size is too small for me.

For the times I need to teamviewer or pull up desktop websites for work. I don't always have my iPad. Also need to be able to add attachments to replies in the mail app.. It's about time ios!

IMO the gs4 flirts with being too big of a device, for me. It's much more comfortable naked than with a case.

Agreed, really like the idea of a Sony Xperia z1 compact google edition.

Last edited:

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
That problem is solved with one handed software.

Not really. I have almost come close to having it slip out of my hand despite using a non slip case. I guess my hands aren't in the big category but just handling it in one hand is too uncomfortable for me.

I just might get that z1 compact in the future if I don't get the iPhone. The huge screen on gs4 isn't used for what it is made for and instead causing a whole lot of frustration.

----------

This is why the current iPhone screen size is too small for me.

For the times I need to teamviewer or pull up desktop websites for work. I don't always have my iPad. Also need to be able to add attachments to replies in the mail app.. It's about time ios!

IMO the gs4 flirts with being too big of a device, for me. It's much more comfortable naked than with a case.

Team viewer on a 5 inch screen. More power to you sir. I would never do that after the frustration I went through.

Personally if it was for work I would just grab a surface then. Surely people carry work bags don't they? The surface would easily slip in one.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Android phones aren't very well supported by the manufacturer. ESPECIALLY the low end ones, like my HTC One V. My phone hasn't received a single major update since its release in June 2012. The iPhone 3GS, which was released a full three years before, is still running newer software! ��
This may not be super important, but Android phones can't read/send emojis! Several people on Instagram have left me seemingly blank comments, but they're not blank, they just contain emojis! �� And if you're wondering how I'm typing them, I have a MacBook Pro.
Hopefully this noob helped you decide your next phone. ��

Sure, the iPhone 3GS 'can' install the latest OS update. It will run like crap and most of the prime features won't work, but if that is your cup of tea, great. I would rather pay $299 for my unlocked, off-contract Moto X that I can use on any GSM network.

And not sure where you get the idea that Android can't send or accept emoji's? All my Android phones do it just fine. That said, I am reading your comment on a new XPS 8700 Windows 8.1 machine and your emoji's look like a black diamond with a question mark inside. Maybe Apple can't send or receive emoji's from outside its ecosystem?

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010

Not really. I have almost come close to having it slip out of my hand despite using a non slip case. I guess my hands aren't in the big category but just handling it in one hand is too uncomfortable for me.

I just might get that z1 compact in the future if I don't get the iPhone. The huge screen on gs4 isn't used for what it is made for and instead causing a whole lot of frustration.

Never had that problem but I guess it would be an issue if your hands are that small. I know the note 3 has a nice grip with the faux leather back which should also be available for the S4 soon.

On your other point, what do you mean by the S4 screen isn't used for what it's made for?

----------

Sure, the iPhone 3GS 'can' install the latest OS update. It will run like crap and most of the prime features won't work, but if that is your cup of tea, great. I would rather pay $299 for my unlocked, off-contract Moto X that I can use on any GSM network.

And not sure where you get the idea that Android can't send or accept emoji's? All my Android phones do it just fine. That said, I am reading your comment on a new XPS 8700 Windows 8.1 machine and your emoji's look like a black diamond with a question mark inside. Maybe Apple can't send or receive emoji's from outside its ecosystem?

The irony of that post is that I read it from an iPhone 5s and didn't see any emojis, yet they show up on the Note 3.

5ynurepe.jpg

a4evava8.jpg

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Team viewer on a 5 inch screen. More power to you sir. I would never do that after the frustration I went through.

Personally if it was for work I would just grab a surface then. Surely people carry work bags don't they? The surface would easily slip in one.

That's the whole point though, I don't need to always have the damn work bag!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Never had that problem but I guess it would be an issue if your hands are that small. I know the note 3 has a nice grip with the faux leather back which should also be available for the S4 soon.

On your other point, what do you mean by the S4 screen isn't used for what it's made for?

----------

The irony of that post is that I read it from an iPhone 5s and didn't see any emojis, yet they show up on the Note 3.

Is that due to Tapatalk though? I think Tapatalk has built in recognition for a lot of different emoji codes?

Edit: I pulled up this thread on my Lumia 1520 just to see if I could see his emoji's under the Windows Phone version of IE and it looks like this. The second pic is how his post looks on my desktop with the black diamonds in place of the emoji's..

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140205_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20140205_0001.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 104
  • wp_ss_20140205_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20140205_0002.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 94

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
Is that due to Tapatalk though? I think Tapatalk has built in recognition for a lot of different emoji codes?

Edit: I pulled up this thread on my Lumia 1520 just to see if I could see his emoji's under the Windows Phone version of IE and it looks like this. The second pic is how his post looks on my desktop with the black diamonds in place of the emoji's..

Yeah I also see the black diamonds on the iPhone, but only when you quoted him, weird. Also I wonder why the emojis work on Android tapatalk but not iOS tapatalk.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
That's the whole point though, I don't need to always have the damn work bag!

Your work must be pretty much 100% digitized then with no need for a bag.

----------

Meaning I don't watch videos on it, or browse websites, or do serious email and document work rendering it useless. For pictures, social communication, in-a-pinch web usage, time management, reminders, and music etc a small compact screen is more than enough.

I still have to zoom and pan a lot on my gs4 if I browse, so nexus 7 wins every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.