Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During yesterday's Super Bowl broadcast, a new ad featuring rock group U2 announced that Bank of America would donate $1 to (Product) RED's fight against AIDS for every free iTunes download of the band's new single "Invisible" [Direct Link]. The promotion will be active until 11:59 PM EST on February 3.

Product (RED) was co-founded by U2 lead signer Bono and activist Bobby Shriver in 2006, with Apple raising more than $65 million for the charity since then through special products. Last year, one-of-a-kind products designed by Apple's senior vice president of design Jony Ive and designer Marc Newson were sold off at Sotheby's charity auction to benefit Product (RED), which raised over $13 million.

(Product) RED is also affiliated with several other companies in addition to Apple, including American Express, Nike, and Starbucks, raising more than $200 million to date.

Article Link: Bank of America Donating $1 to Product (RED) for Every Free iTunes Download of U2's 'Invisible'

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Done. Don't even really care for the music but it's a small thing to do that might help someone.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I'd prefer a free song from Katy Perry. Bono is a bit of a dick.

First, I love U2. Have since "October"

I wouldn't call Bono a dick. Pompous? Certainly. But he certainly is passionate about helping people, putting his own money where his mouth is, too, as well as using his celebrity to raise money and awareness.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts

I wouldn't call Bono a dick. Pompous? Certainly. But he certainly is passionate about helping people, putting his own money where his mouth is, too, as well as using his celebrity to raise money and awareness.

Well said.

I downloaded the song while at the pub as soon as the commercial aired. It's an ok song, no new ground broken, but I don't expect it from a band who's been around 35 years.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil

"A song from Katy Perry" is a contradiction of terms.

And if you can be a dick, as your post clearly shows, I believe Bono is entitled to be one too.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Sure, I'll download the song just so BOA will donate $1. Zero interest in the song, though.

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a

that.

but also, i think the whole "Red" thing is throwing money away, instead of putting it to good use. instead of using the money towards research to find a cure, they'd rather hand medicine to HIV women so they can get pregnant with some sort of ease-of-mind, that the baby's condition will be taken care of.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007

I don't know. The rock career is long over and this new gig raising money for needy pharmaceutical companies kind of creeps me out.

At one end you have people donating money, and at the other, really needy sick people and that sounds OK, until you think about the millions for big pharma in the middle.

Look around the www, researchers say it's almost impossible to find out where the money is going. 1% to the needy, >50% on salaries? RED is a business not a charity. It's more about awareness… Eww.

I know someone who went to school with him and I think the consensus was, he was always a bit of a dick. Just add money and fame.

I'm more than happy to 'take' the bank's money, but looking around, I get the uneasy feeling, I'm not making much of a difference.

It might be The Edge you were thinking of admiring.

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Not a fan of U2 but downloaded for the cause. Although I'm a bit uncomfortable with this marketing shtick because it closely reminds me of those silly "Bill Gates will donate a dollar for every like" hoaxes on Facebook, but HEY - charity is charity.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Done. Don't even really care for the music but it's a small thing to do that might help someone.

Same here. My wife loves the band so that will be two more.

----------

that.

but also, i think the whole "Red" thing is throwing money away, instead of putting it to good use. instead of using the money towards research to find a cure, they'd rather hand medicine to HIV women so they can get pregnant with some sort of ease-of-mind, that the baby's condition will be taken care of.

Yeah because everyone suffering from HIV thinks exactly like that. Or is this some sort of slight against the entire movement to help treat poor people in Africa instead of lining the pockets of Americans to help develop a cure that will most likely be out of the reach of folks suffering in Africa?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
actually saw the ad for this while watching the Superbowl and thought what the heck and downloaded it. Have not listened to the song in its entirety yet, but it was a good marketing tactic and a nice way to support a cause.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Yes, I know it's a commercial to create good will for the companies involved, and while it's a nice gesture, I find it a bit weird for them to spend $8 million for the 1 minute advertisement slot during the Super Bowl (not counting production costs), and then Bank of America only pledging to donate $1 per download, up to $2 million. I would have rather seen a 30 second slot for $4 million and BoA donating $6 million to charity.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
song sounded quite dull, really past their prime

but I'll download it for the donation

(also, does anyone think of the More Crap, South Park episode, when they see Bono?)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yes, I know it's a commercial to create good will for the companies involved, and while it's a nice gesture, I find it a bit weird for them to spend $8 million for the 1 minute advertisement slot during the Super Bowl (not counting production costs), and then Bank of America only pledging to donate $1 per download, up to $2 million. I would have rather seen a 30 second slot for $4 million and BoA donating $6 million to charity.

Wait, only $2M? That sucks.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010

It is possible that the commercial time was an 'in kind' donation, meaning that the cost was likely much cheaper and the company providing the donation gets the tax write of

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
...and then Bank of America only pledging to donate $1 per download, up to $2 million.

Actually, it's up to $8 million.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 8.58.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 8.58.46 AM.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 191

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
that.

Wrong-headed in my mind. This type of thing should not be an either/or but BOTH.

As for the song, it sounded a little too "small" when I was listening in my car. But my Grados gave it the proper shake it deserved. A lot of subtle layering in there (Danger mouse influence, I'm guessing.) It's solid. The only downer is it feels like it's just getting it's groove as it reaches the finish. Hopefully the extended version on the album will rectify that feeling.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This reminds me of Facebook's "Like this post to feed a child"

Except that you get something from this, even if you don't like the song on the end.

And 99% of the time those pages are scams. Two months later it will be a diet pill and all those folks will be suggesting it to their friends etc

----------

You sure you don't have your numbers backwards. Cause the donation is up to $8 million

wildcat88

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2014
Except that you get something from this, even if you don't like the song on the end.

And 99% of the time those pages are scams. Two months later it will be a diet pill and all those folks will be suggesting it to their friends etc

----------

You sure you don't have your numbers backwards. Cause the donation is up to $8 million

BofA's website says "up to $2,000,000". So did the Super Bowl advertisement. iTunes seems to be saying $8 million, so their numbers are contradicting each other.

----------

Actually, it's up to $8 million.

Actually, iTunes and BofA are contradicting each other. BofA says 2 million (in the small print on the ad itself, and on their website), iTunes says 8 million. I would tend to go with the number provided by the company that's actually giving the money.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
from https://red.bankofamerica.com

* For every download before 11:59PM EST Monday, 2/3/2014 (4:59AM GMT Tuesday, 2/4/2014), the Bank of America Corporation will donate $1, up to $2,000,000, to the US Fund for the Global Fund to support and fund prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS. Requires iTunes account. Limit one download per iTunes account. Content subject to availability. iTunes terms and conditions apply.

Footnote** All individual donations made through the Bank of America (RED) Program will go to the UN Foundation Fund for AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria to support and fund Global Fund programs for the prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS. For such donations made before December 31, 2015, Bank of America Corporation will make a donation in an equal amount (up to a maximum of $1,000 per donor in the aggregate) to the US Fund for the Global Fund to support and fund prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS, up to a maximum total corporate donation of $2,000,000.

iTunes is for legal or rightholder-authorized copying only. Don't steal music.

I can tell you they've already reached that goal and apparently will keep it going until the deadline tonight

EDIT: actually seeing other material with the $8,000,000 amount, and something about the partnership generating a combined $10,000,000 in the next 2 years

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.