Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

First announced last week, Facebook's new news creation and curation tool, Paper, is now available for download in the United States.

Paper is a news reader that obtains content from a user's Facebook News Feed and from well-known online news sites and publications. Like competing apps such as Flipboard and Zite, Paper features a magazine-style layout with individual section categories for content.

paper.jpg
Your Paper is made of stories and themed sections, so you can follow your favorite interests. The first section in Paper is your Facebook News Feed, where you'll enjoy inspiring new designs for photos, videos, and longer written posts. You can customize Paper with a choice of more than a dozen other sections about various themes and topics--from photography and sports to food, science and design. Each section includes a rich mix of content from emerging voices and well-known publications.
Designed to replace the traditional Facebook News Feed, stories within Paper are card-based and can be flipped through by swiping. Content like status updates from friends appears alongside news stories and photos in a simple layout aimed at enhancing readability.

Though newly introduced, Facebook's Paper app shares its name with the popular Paper sketching app from FiftyThree, which has been available in the App Store since 2012.

Earlier today, FiftyThree published an open letter on its website, noting its surprise with Facebook's naming choice. The company asks Facebook to stop using its brand name and to "build a brand name of their own." According to FiftyThree co-founder Georg Petschnigg, who spoke to The New York Times, Facebook has thus far opted to continue with the app launch.
"We have, in writing, asked Facebook to refrain from using the name," Mr. Petschnigg said. "But their response was that they apologized for not letting us know sooner, but as it stands, they are continuing with their launch."
"Paper by FiftyThree" is trademarked in the United States and in several additional countries, which could lead to a legal standoff between FiftyThree and Facebook in the future.

Paper by Facebook can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook's 'Paper' Now Available for Download Despite Protests From FiftyThree

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
Facebook Pages....because the NSA would like a little more info on which news outlets you prefer to read.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Typical dick move from Zuck & Co. They should have known better and it's obvious there's an app out there that exists by this name already.

I hope this project will fail harder than the Facebook phone. I just don't see how anyone would replace the regular Facebook app with this.

Also, get rid of other useless apps like Facebook messenger, as the features are kind of already in the app.

Other failed Facebook projects:
-Chatheads
-Facebook Camera
-HTC Status
-HTC first
-Integrated Google (what happened to this idea)
-Polls
-Facebook Hashtags

Need I say more?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Don't worry, NSA doesn't have to wait for you to use Paper..They already have everything on you..

Paper is still not available in Germany...I hope this app is really better than the standard Facebook app, which just sucks...

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
Don't get me wrong, I can see why FiftyThree would be unhappy about Facebook's name choice but he does not own the word paper.

Granted, I know Candy Crush and that whole "candy" debacle is ongoing but still. One single person can't own a word like that. It sets one hell of a standard.

Edit to help:
Where the hell is it on the App Store?

Link :)

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I can see why FiftyThree would be unhappy about Facebook's name choice but he does not own the word paper.

Granted, I know Candy Crush and that whole "candy" debacle is ongoing but still. One single person can't own a word like that. It sets one hell of a standard.

Edit to help:

Link :)

Thanks!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
"Paper by FiftyThree" is trademarked in the United States and in several additional countries, which could lead to a legal standoff between FiftyThree and Facebook in the future.

And facebook will win. Not be being right. But by making the legal fees so large 53 can't afford them and they'll have to pull out. It would be nice if trademarks are actually worth something (ie facebook be stopped from breaking the law) but who knows if this liw will even be enforced as it should be.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

It's not owning a word, it's trademarking within a specific context, which is exactly how trademarks work.

Their trademark doesn't stop any other use of the word, including other product categories. You could use the name Paper for a soft drink, a laundry detergent, a car, whatever...as long as it's not an app. And enforcing it wouldn't set any sort of a precedent, have you not noticed that although they don't own the word, you can't sell a computer and call it "Apple"?

But they likely don't have deep enough pockets to enforce it versus Facebook, they are in the right but even winning a lawsuit would cost way more than they can afford.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
And, like every other new app, you can't find it in the app store search. #appstorefail

Did you ever think that perhaps it doesn't show up in search because it was released 10 minutes ago?

If you were to create a new webpage on your blog, when it doesn't show up in Google search results 10 minutes later is it a "google fail"?

Dades

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It looks great.

Though personally I prefer my news presented a bit more "missionary position". Less swiping and gymnastics and more scroll and tap.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
The app is crap and lasted 3 mins on my phone. No sense of order of what's recent. Also, you see a lot less information on the screen than the current Facebook App. IMO, this app will not succeed. The only positive thing from this app is that it wasn't forced on us with an update to the current app.

BadLTD

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Facebook Pages....because the NSA would like a little more info on which news outlets you prefer to read.

Second this also. That's why I deleted my Facebook. Can I use this without having a FB account?

emorog

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
Typical dick move from Zuck & Co. They should have known better and it's obvious there's an app out there that exists by this name already.

Need I say more?

There are at least TWO other apps named Paper on the US Store already. So FiftyThree doesn't have much to stand on here. You cannot selectively decide to start enforcing a claim on a mark. And it doesn't look like they registered "paper" by itself anyhow.

Maybe not the best name for it, as i cannot find either the FB or the 53 brand Paper in the app store. I can find these:
Paper - by Contradictory
Paper - by MiSoft
Papers - by mekentosj.com

NotAdvisable

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Perth, Australia
And facebook will win. Not be being right. But by making the legal fees so large 53 can't afford them and they'll have to pull out. It would be nice if trademarks are actually worth something (ie facebook be stopped from breaking the law) but who knows if this liw will even be enforced as it should be.

Honestly FiftyThree's trademarks are actually for "Paper by FiftyThree" and not just generically "Paper". Legally Facebook are completely in their right to name it what they want to.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
53 trademarked "Paper" in relation to sketching. Facebook isn't sketching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.