Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5s_rear_camera-250x234.jpg
Sources from Taiwan's industrial chain claim the iPhone 6 will have at least a 10-megapixel camera with an aperture of f/1.8, reports Chinese website IT168 [Google Translate, via GforGames]. This would be an improvement over the current iPhone 5s, which has an 8-megapixel camera with a narrower f/2.2 aperture.

The report also claims Apple will change the filter used on the iPhone 6 camera, replacing the hybrid IR filter used on the iPhone 5s with a resin lens filter manufactured by Japanese company JSR. JSR is known for its ARTON Resins, which are used in digital and video cameras with CMOS image sensors. JSR claims its ARTON filters are lighter and thinner than comparable IR filters and take clearer images due to the resin's ability to minimize the color shifts of CMOS image sensors.

The IT168 story contradicts an earlier report from the The China Post that claims Apple will continue to use a 8-megapixel sensor in its next iPhone. According to analysts from Nomura Securities, the camera module in the iPhone 6 instead will see improvements in other areas such as optical image stabilization.

(Thanks, Vlad!)

Article Link: iPhone 6 Rumored to Include 10+-Megapixel Camera with f/1.8 Aperture and Improved Filter

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I want to combine these rumors together to make an epic rumor baby. Camera improvements, and OIS sound so good.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The f/1.8 would be awesome, megapixels don't mean much but image size and how much light that hits the sensor.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
they need enough resolution so that they can take videos with the phone held vertically while still recording a horizontal video.

Actually, they can use the rotation of the phone to act as a zoom lever itself.

/i should patent this.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
they need enough resolution so that they can take videos with the phone held vertically while still recording a horizontal video.
That would be epic!

I want to reach through my screen and strangle the facebook morons who do that.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Well, even if half of these rumours pan out, it should keep the iPhone camera more or less current, quality-wise.

I do personally think anything to get less shaky pictures is a big plus. My dad just can't seem to hold his iPhone steady enough. Brighter lens + brighter filter + more sensitive sensor + digital stabilization (burst mode kinda sorta achieves this) can work, but OIS could do it in one fell scoop.

Merks

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
As someone who crops his images, I have found 8MP to be somewhat small, but MOST of the time its perfectly fine.

A small bump in MP is only a small bump in file size so this would still be a welcome addition. 12-13MP = 5-6mb files...on burst mode this would be awful. That said, I'm currently looking to upgrade my D90 12MP camera for a 24MP camera.... haha.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Upping pixel count is a waste if they could use the same resolution and up image quality instead. F1.8 would be a good move, however it would give pretty narrow depth of field though so focus will need to be very accurate.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010

Actually, they can use the rotation of the phone to act as a zoom lever itself.

/i should patent this.

Of course, at 3264x2448 the iPhone's 8mp sensor is already suitable for a 1920x1080 HD video in vertical orientation.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
4K video, stereo audio and true 1080p60 or 120, please. And OIS.

----------

True. Manual aperture would be cool.

The DoF will be deep even with a f/1.8 lens, assuming the same miniscule 1/3" sensor as in the 5s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.