Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Screenshots from the latest version of North Korea's home-grown "Red Star" Linux operating system reveal a striking resemblance to OS X, as shown in a new report from IDG News Service. The new look seen in version 3.0 of the software replaces the Windows-inspired design of version 2.0.

red-star-linux.jpg
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, might the folks in Cupertino be pleased when they see the latest version of North Korea's home-grown operating system?

Version 3.0 of Red Star Linux presents users with a radical refresh of its desktop design, one that closely resembles Mac OS X.
Screenshots of the operating system were provided to IDG by Will Scott, a visiting professor at Pyongyang University of Science and Technology (PUST) who bought the OS in Pyongyang from a local Korea Computer Center (KCC) dealer. KCC is the government's information research technology center and has been in charge of developing Red Star Linux for more than a decade.

red_star_linux_2.jpg
Red Star OS is the official operating system of North Korea and is localized for the country. It features Naenara ('My Country'), a version of the Mozilla Firefox browser that connects to the country's nationwide intranet. Version 3.0 shown above was released last year, but has until now not received significant attention outside of North Korea due to the country's relative isolation from the world community.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: North Korea's Official 'Red Star' Operating System Borrows Heavily From OS X

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
All the people crying about "iOSification" of OS X can move to North Korea and be happy.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
All that effort for the ~1000 people in NK who will ever get to use a computer in their lifetime (barring social change)?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Clearly North Korea is sucking up to South Korea and Samsung.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I take North Korea's "Red Star" OS over any windows any time:p
And i do not see how the Apple ecosystem is any different then that of North Korea.
And you do not need to think about trojans and that stuff, it comes with the system, so should you get something else nasty I bet there is a North Korean technician ready to remote remove what you get :D

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
They have their own version of Ru Paul (Dennis Rodman) might as well have their own version of Mac OS X.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
official operating system. i must say that is pretty cool.

well here is at least one vendor that we can assume listens less to its customers/users than apple

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
I bet that is loaded with spyware to track what the people are doing and report back to the local peoples monitors

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.