Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jliechty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
Seattle
k so, ordered my Stock 20" iMac earlier this month the second the store was up after the "One more thing announcement"...it finally arrives today.

Go to do a clean install, when what to my surprise, Disc 1 gets stuck on when ejecting, and just goes back in....won't come out after multiple eject attempts.........set up a chat w/ an online apple tech, find out I have to drive it into the Apple Store in half an hour or so to get it "serviced" They better just swap it out for me....I don't want it serviced...if it's broken out of the box, what else besides the drive is messed up....

Anyway, totally bummed, there goes my evening of fun......

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I can understand being disappointed, but you shouldn't be bitter. Apple will resolve the problem for you.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
My iBook combo drive was giving me trouble ejecting discs. I gave it a fonzie whack on the side and it's working like a charm now. Don't know if you should try that though. Are you cool enough? :p

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Why would you do a clean install on a brand new machine? :confused:

Well, look at the bright side, at least you discovered the problem now instead of a few weeks into it when you had a lot of stuff on there.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
mcarnes said:
My iBook combo drive was giving me trouble ejecting discs. I gave it a fonzie whack on the side and it's working like a charm now.

When all the thoughtful remedies fail, there is always the Fonzie whack ... sometimes a return to the basics can prove to be the best medicine. :)

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
mac-er said:
Why would you do a clean install on a brand new machine? :confused:

Well, look at the bright side, at least you discovered the problem now instead of a few weeks into it when you had a lot of stuff on there.
Yeah I agree with both comments. Hope all goes well.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
I do clean installs on new machines to get rid of all the fluff I don't use like foreign languages and some extra apps.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Deepdale said:
When all the thoughtful remedies fail, there is always the Fonzie whack ... sometimes a return to the basics can prove to be the best medicine. :)

Very true. A good smack works wonders sometimes, but never give your PB the "People's Elbow." It won't be pretty with that aluminium.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Don't be bitter, just upset.

I have to return my new 17" PB, so I know the disappointment. But at least it will get fixed.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm very sorry to hear that you have had this problem. Like others at least it occurred early. It will just be temporary disappointment until you really start using that awesome Mac.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
I do clean installs on new machines to get rid of all the fluff I don't use like foreign languages and some extra apps.

I do the same. alot of crap I personally dont use comes bundled on a new mac. like garage band, its 2 gigs plus alone. save myself 5 to 6 gigs of space by doing this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.