Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has added a new video to its iPhone 5s marketing page showcasing footage shot at Burberry's Spring/Summer 2014 runway show back in September.

The thirty-second spot shows how the then-unreleased iPhone 5s was used to shoot video at the fashion show, including the elaborate camera rigs that were used. The song in the background is Soothing Me So by Victory.
On the runway with iPhone 5s

Burberry Spring/Summer 2014. An incredible collection. Shot with stunning clarity. On iPhone 5s.
Roughly a month after the fashion show was shot with the iPhone 5s, Apple announced the hiring of Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts to run its retail and online stores. Ahrendts will join Apple in the spring and will continue in her role as Burberry CEO until then.

Article Link: Apple Posts New 'On The Runway' Video Showcasing Burberry Fashion Show Shot on iPhone 5s

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Would have been awesome to be a part of that. Especially at the time! I was surprised they didn't have the phones partially covered or something.

ZOZO4

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2014
Angela sounds like she's really good at what she does. I suspect the Apple Stores will only get better under her control.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Shock news, pretty girls sell gizmos...

But at the end of the day, the video quality is nothing special and the lighting is very dull. Lots of super close ups to try and coax some sort of limited depth of field from the small sensor.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
The iPhone 5s: gorgeous women will walk right up to you in single file… then turn around and leave. :apple:

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Two of my three favourite brands :D

Nice video, the 5S' camera is beyond amazing.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Any idea what is that held in front of the iPhone at 0:24? Would be nice to know what accessories were used in the show/video. I do notice a lot of Glif tripod mounts used.

Seo

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Cupertino, California
Shock news, pretty girls sell gizmos...

But at the end of the day, the video quality is nothing special and the lighting is very dull. Lots of super close ups to try and coax some sort of limited depth of field from the small sensor.

Certainly not breathtaking footage, but those super close ups you're talking about were shot on a larger format camera, at least 35mm or Super 35mm. The smooth rack focus, shallow DOF, and dynamic range isn't achievable on the iPhone :p

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Apple should include something along the lines of "With the iPhone 5S, you can be a professional camera operator too" in their iPhone marketing.

I'm glad that the technology has evolved so that it's easier for trained artists to produce work but at the same time, average people are calling junk they produce "art".

Definitely not a great time to be in the creative industry.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008

Not sure how you can say that. Technology being so much more affordable and accessible is a great thing. You might have more crap to wade through now, but legitimate talent and skill will still rise to the top.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Watching the full video on the Burberry site the footage is a lot less dynamic than the ad. The panning camera also passes a manned Arri Alexa cinema camera :D

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Apple should include something along the lines of "With the iPhone 5S, you can be a professional camera operator too" in their iPhone marketing.

I'm glad that the technology has evolved so that it's easier for trained artists to produce work but at the same time, average people are calling junk they produce "art".

Luckily most people recognize junk labeled as 'art' and don't buy it/support it's creator.

Unless it's labeled 'modern art' then you can do whatever the hell you want. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.