Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the release of Final Fantasy IV: The After Years last November, Square-Enix today launched Final Fantasy VI for iOS devices. The game's story centers around rebels Terra and Locke as they battle an evil force known as The Empire, with gameplay centering around the series' fast-paced "Active Time Battle" system. Recreated graphics and a touch-optimized battle interface are also present in the release as well, as the game also supports iCloud data syncing across devices.

ff_vi_ios1.jpeg
Features
o Game data saved with iCloud can now be shared across devices! At home or away, on your iPhone or iPad, pick the play style that's best for you.

o All graphics have been painstakingly recreated, bringing the world of FINAL FANTASY VI to your mobile device for the very first time! Kazuko Shibuya, one of the graphics designers involved in the FINAL FANTASY series from the very start, personally worked on the main characters and supervised the recreation of the game's graphics.

o Square Enix's vast experience in A-list smartphone RPG titles has been harnessed in implementing intuitive user-friendly controls that make the game easy to play on touch screens. The battle interface has received particular attention, with a complete overhaul for use on your smartphone.

o This smartphone release includes the new magicites and events that were introduced in the 2006 remake.

o Some events have been optimized to be played with user-friendly touch controls.
Final Fantasy VI was originally revealed to be coming to iOS devices last October in an interview with longtime Square-Enix producer Takashi Tokita, who also teased a potential release of the mega-popular Final Fantasy VII for mobile devices. However, the producer later clarified his comments about a potential Final Fantasy VII mobile release five days later, stating that the game's appearance on iOS devices is "years away" because of the space limitations on the platform.

Final Fantasy VI is available on iOS devices for $15.99 and can be downloaded through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Square-Enix Launches 'Final Fantasy VI' for iOS Devices

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I love seeing more and more real titles on the app store(s). I am very much okay with this. :D

inb4 "omg sixteen dolars shud be [insert lower price here]!!!"

Malbrute

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
I love seeing more and more real titles on the app store(s). I am very much okay with this. :D

inb4 "omg sixteen dolars shud be [insert lower price here]!!!"

Actually the price should be 15 dollars, sixteen is odd, well its even, but its not :cool:
and is still nothing for something you can spend so much time on. Certainly a good value, and a Real™ game. Just like 8 releases behind last gen :(

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
Finally and at last, Squenix have entered the progressive age: it's a universal app. My boycott can now end and, with surprise iCloud sync, really enjoy the benefits. Huzzah!

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Actually the price should be 15 dollars, sixteen is odd, well its even, but its not :cool:
and is still nothing for something you can spend so much time on. Certainly a good value, and a Real™ game. Just like 8 releases behind last gen :(

I haven't been very impressed/interested in a FF release since VIII*. Which is convenient because my computing requirements and expectations are really low.

That being said, I did enjoy playing Blitzball. :cool:

* Wow the PC version of this looked horrible on a computer screen.

Edit: Looks like they just changed the price to 11. We can't win, can we? :p

Edit 2: Never mind, they brought it back up to 16 already....

Last edited:

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
The only problem I see with AAA games on the App Store is the fact that almost all of them will not be in the Top 200 apps, at least not after a week or two. I feel like developers know this and are probably fearful their apps aren't getting near enough attention to warrant development and release, but maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is no problem not being in a place where the majority look. In my opinion Tomb Raider is the best game on iOS right now, I had far more fun playing through and completing it, than any other game right now (and that's with difficult touch controls), and it is only $0.99 (I would have gladly paid $9.99 or more)!!! To me that game should still easily be in the Top few apps, but it quickly left the Top 200, maybe people don't want to play a half way difficult game anymore (or can't), I don't know. The new Tomb Raider reboot shouldn't even be called 'Tomb Raider' ('Lara Croft' or 'Drake's Fortune' would have made more sense), as you are hardly ever even in a tomb, and it is so painfully easy, and they even have a button to press which highlights whatever you need to do...sad how all games are made for morons now.

I think app discovery still needs to be worked on greatly, as it is, and always will be the cheap casual throw away games that fill the Top Apps (aside from maybe GTA due to overwhelming popularity). Don't get me wrong though, I'm extremely hopeful that these AAA games (albeit classics) are getting enough downloads despite this fact, and I'm praying Square Enix releases Tomb Raider II this year.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Already picked this up on PSN (PSP, PS Vita, PS3) for £6. It's not likely now but I still hope Matrix Software make 3D versions of 5 and 6, like their successful 3 and 4 remakes for the DS.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Oh cool they messed up the graphics.
You know, they could have just resampled all the graphics by nearest neighbour, save a lot of money and the game would look great, just like the original game looked great.
But no, they do this crap, and they do it every time.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The only problem I see with AAA games on the App Store is the fact that almost all of them will not be in the Top 200 apps, at least not after a week or two. I feel like developers know this and are probably fearful their apps aren't getting near enough attention to warrant development and release, but maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is no problem not being in a place where the majority look. In my opinion Tomb Raider is the best game on iOS right now, I had far more fun playing through and completing it, than any other game right now (and that's with difficult touch controls), and it is only $0.99 (I would have gladly paid $9.99 or more)!!! To me that game should still easily be in the Top few apps, but it quickly left the Top 200, maybe people don't want to play a half way difficult game anymore (or can't), I don't know. The new Tomb Raider reboot shouldn't even be called 'Tomb Raider' ('Lara Croft' or 'Drake's Fortune' would have made more sense), as you are hardly ever even in a tomb, and it is so painfully easy, and they even have a button to press which highlights whatever you need to do...sad how all games are made for morons now.

I think app discovery still needs to be worked on greatly, as it is, and always will be the cheap casual throw away games that fill the Top Apps (aside from maybe GTA due to overwhelming popularity). Don't get me wrong though, I'm extremely hopeful that these AAA games (albeit classics) are getting enough downloads despite this fact, and I'm praying Square Enix releases Tomb Raider II this year.

Apple could create two top level categories, "Casual Games" and "Real Games for Real Gamers".

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012

This X1000. The app store interface is a god-damn outrage.

iamtrip

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010

I agree with this entirely. I have a few plane journeys coming up, so I spent the best part of 90 minutes last night (i) firstly scrolling through the top 200 paid and free apps on the app store; and then (ii) reading through a lot of "Best 25 games on the iPad" sites to find content that looked interesting. Given that my purchasing habbits for apps and games have been constant for the past 3-4 years, I feel more could be done (relatively easily) to make things that I would like feature more prominently in the app store.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
For iOS, does this game take up the full screen? On my Android device it is letterboxed a little bit on the sides, vertically. Also, on Android no cloud Google Play saves but yet its there in iCloud. Things like this make me want to bash my head through a wall...

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
The 16 dollar price is more palatable since it is a Universal app for iPad and iPhone. That irked me a whole lot with some of their other releases (I'm looking at you FF III).

I think it's a fair price for a lot of game, of course these do periodically go on sale so it's always prudent to wait. I'm not a fan of the race to the bottom F2P BS the gaming market has succumb to.

I'm not a huge fan of the new sprites but it is what it is.

ProjectedLight

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
FFIV was overrated, I think a lot of people's nostalgia overwhelms their critical thinking. It was a breakthrough in its time, but it doesn't hold a match to FFVI. This game makes any short list for greatest games ever made. I hope the port is solid, I'm gonna buy it in the next few weeks.

Lefty21

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Lexington, KY
As a long time Final Fantasy fan, I love that these games are being made available for iOS devices (without having to resort to jailbreaking). I will, however, likely wait until Christmastime, because this past Christmas Square Enix put all their games on sale for $9.99.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR

Well said. If you look at things like Netflix and how they offer movie suggestions, and they even have multiple profiles for one account so that I don't need to be looking at kids movie suggestions when I want to watch a movie for myself. Obviously suggestion engines are out there, and Apples method of simply showing the most downloaded titles is incredibly archaic compared to current technology.

As to the price tag, I don't have an issue with it, though I would like to see some kind of short term play-for-free modality. For an untried (for me) game title, spending $16 is a bit of a risk. If I could get it for free and play for fifteen minutes with no game save functionality, or something like that, then pay to activate longer play and game save, it would give me the opportunity to try the game and see if it is really something that I want. And doing something like that through an IAP instead of having a free version and a full version as two different apps in the App Store is fine with me, and, IMO, what IAPs are really meant for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.