Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knownotall

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
On a serious note, how do you use it for business??? I can't depend on my rMini for anything on Safari at the moment.

Photography... Showing people my work. It's easy to carry and big enough to make photos impressive.

The yellow tints pictures, not very visible in many situations, but with some black and white and some photos with larger areas of a single tone (eg blue + yellow starts looking a bit greenish).

But what bothers me most about the tint/darkening is reading text and books on a white page. Every single line you read goes from dark to light (or vice versa depending on how it's held). And this repeats for every line in the page. Then you go to the next page in your book and repeat... And repeat... Hard to ignore. :(

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Actually you are wrong.
You can take the product to the store and have it replaced in the return period (14 or 30 days depends on the Country you live) no question answered.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have an Apple store next to them. I live in a place where the closest Apple store is at least 4 hours flight away. If I purchase a defected iPad Air which is sold through different retail stores here, there is probably no guarantees or return policies unless there is a serious defect like the iPad stops working or half the screen is broken.

Even if I choose to return it, with the high defect rate, I will probably be visiting them 3 to 4 times to return the units which will sound to them like a joke and they will simply refuse to exchange the unit even if I paid a lot of money for it.

I just think that Apple should fix this some how, this is not acceptable since this is NOT a new technology LCD screens have been here for a very long time.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Not everyone is lucky enough to have an Apple store next to them. I live in a place where the closest Apple store is at least 4 hours flight away. If I purchase a defected iPad Air which is sold through different retail stores here, there is probably no guarantees or return policies unless there is a serious defect like the iPad stops working or half the screen is broken.

Even if I choose to return it, with the high defect rate, I will probably be visiting them 3 to 4 times to return the units which will sound to them like a joke and they will simply refuse to exchange the unit even if I paid a lot of money for it.

I just think that Apple should fix this some how, this is not acceptable since this is NOT a new technology LCD screens have been here for a very long time.
I'd never buy a product if the nearest servicing point is 4 flight hrs away ....

Buckster

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
after reading this thread it had sort of put me off an Air - we already have a 32 '3 and a 128 '4 - but my wife offered to buy me one - an Air or Ipad 4 - but this thread had put me off

have looked at 3 different Airs - in store now - and all seem to have very uniform "white" screens - no yellowing, no dark sides etc - are the store ones cherry-picked - or is problem less widespread than some suggest

couldn't find a single flaw in any of them - in fact all 3 were slightly better than our 3/4 I'd say uniformity wise

Stanreza

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2014
Ipad Air Display defect

IPad Air out of the box display defect: an annoying light dot on the left
Lower angle. Sadly I cannot return it since I purchased it while travelling to another country!

Attachments

• ipad (3).jpg
    ipad (3).jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

Jbru187

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2013
after reading this thread it had sort of put me off an Air - we already have a 32 '3 and a 128 '4 - but my wife offered to buy me one - an Air or Ipad 4 - but this thread had put me off

have looked at 3 different Airs - in store now - and all seem to have very uniform "white" screens - no yellowing, no dark sides etc - are the store ones cherry-picked - or is problem less widespread than some suggest

couldn't find a single flaw in any of them - in fact all 3 were slightly better than our 3/4 I'd say uniformity wise

Lighting plays a big factor in how noticeable it is, so it may be something you don't notice until you use it in a lower lit room.

I wouldn't let this thread determine if you should buy one. You need to judge if it is a problem or not for you personally. I didn't have any luck getting one with a decent screen, so I decided to just buy another iPad 4 and got an acceptable one the first time, so I have no doubt there is a problem with the Air.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Lighting plays a big factor in how noticeable it is, so it may be something you don't notice until you use it in a lower lit room.

I agree completely. You really have to take it home or to the office to try it out. The ones in stores are usually cranked up to 100% brightness under retail lighting.

I haven't had any issues with mine either, which I just got. So there are definitely good ones out there. At some point though, even if you see a slight issue, it seems like enough of a lottery that you may simply want to keep one that you can deem good enough.

wrxsti88

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
lucked out mine is a crisp white, uniform color, infact whiter than my ipad 3 screen!

there are good screens out there!

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Just don't look at this thread and go buy one.

Knownotall

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
Woohoo!

My sixth iPad Air and I finally got screen nirvana. No yellowing, no darkening gradually across the screen. Just a bit of book spine effect which I never notice or care about. It was worth returning the first five pieces of crap.

Ahhhhhh. What a peaceful, relaxing feeling it is.

Jbru187

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2013
My sixth iPad Air and I finally got screen nirvana. No yellowing, no darkening gradually across the screen. Just a bit of book spine effect which I never notice or care about. It was worth returning the first five pieces of crap.

Ahhhhhh. What a peaceful, relaxing feeling it is.

Good that you would finally found a good one. On the other hand, absolutely ridiculous you had to buy 6 in order to get it.

MaverickZH

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2014
I have a serial that starts with DMPM. Screen is generally yellowish (on the left side even a bit yellower) and on the low left corner it has some lightbleeding. Right now I'm thinking about returning it.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
@maxsteel

I do not see anything wrong with it but cameras do not put what the eye can see. I have an iPad 3 that has a pinkish/greenish corner, when I tried to take a picture of it the screen looked flawless in the photo.

Here is a good rule, if you don't see it don't worry about it

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013

This thread isn't indicative of the majority, I believe.

I just walked into the store, bought one, and have no screen issues.

And I'm someone who went through 5 original kindle paperwhites, and 3 paperwhite twos!

liam1981

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Hello I have recently purchased an iPad Air 128 gig I have noticed when the background is white there seems to be a Little white spot is this normal or do I have a problem here

MaverickZH

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2014
I returned my horrible yellow iPad Air with a DMPM Serialnumber. Unfortunately Apple only had 1 DMPL and DMPM serials there. They opened three more and everyone the opened was horrible yellow aswell, so I ended up getting a refund. The ones in the Showcase all had this beautiful looking, bright white display and the iPads they actually sell were yellow... I'm really disappointed in Apple since I already sold my iPad 3 and need/want an iPad badly, but these displays are just horrible.

I added a pic which compares the yellow one to the nice one of the showcase. In real life it looked even more yellow, the camera somehow made it a bit less visible.

Attachments

• Foto.JPG
    Foto.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 505

Hubet

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2014
IPad Air out of the box display defect: an annoying light dot on the left
Lower angle. Sadly I cannot return it since I purchased it while travelling to another country!

I had the same light spot on my first iPad Air at the same position and I returned it. Maybe you got mine... The serial number would be interesting...

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
After going through a LARGE number of iPad Airs (17 in total) I have come to the following conclusion.

Along with the huge array of screen tones (yellow, pink and green) all of the iPad Airs have the yellowing/darkening on the left hand side of the screen, most probably due to the side lighting from the right. This is a design issue and will not be sorted (if at all) until at least the next generation of iPad. The ONLY time that this yellowing is corrected is if there is major light bleeding from the bottom left hand corner of the screen. All the screens that have a uniform colour have the drawback of major light bleeding. It's up to you if you prefer a uniform screen with light bleeding, or yellow urine colored screen with minimal light bleeding.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
After going through a LARGE number of iPad Airs (17 in total) I have come to the following conclusion.

Along with the huge array of screen tones (yellow, pink and green) all of the iPad Airs have the yellowing/darkening on the left hand side of the screen, most probably due to the side lighting from the right. This is a design issue and will not be sorted (if at all) until at least the next generation of iPad. The ONLY time that this yellowing is corrected is if there is major light bleeding from the bottom left hand corner of the screen. All the screens that have a uniform colour have the drawback of major light bleeding. It's up to you if you prefer a uniform screen with light bleeding, or yellow urine colored screen with minimal light bleeding.

And 17 is a large number ??? :confused:

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
And 17 is a large number ??? :confused:

Not looking at them in the shop. I've purchased and returned 17 of them, not something I wanted to do as it's a waste of time for everyone involved.

I use the iPad for photography as a portable portfolio, so colour accuracy is a must. The 17th was acceptable, but has quite a bit of light bleeding. A sacrifice I'm willing to take.

MaverickZH

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2014
I returned 5 so far. It's really sad I had to do this, as it is a lost of time as you said. But it's the only way Apple will realize that there is a Quality issue and maybe the will fix it with a future release (even if they don't admit the issue officially, what they almost never do).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.