Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Alright, alright, I got one: what do Android and Europe have in common?

The fact that Tim Cook made an asinine comparison between the two!

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Yes, he's going to regret saying that, if he doesn't already. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes when they speak off the cuff, but that's kind of a doozy.

Besides being a pretty bad analogy, it's an unflattering one. Comparing a union of 28 countries, which combined represent one of your biggest (if not the biggest) customer bases in the world, to your competitor in a disparaging way ("crappy") is NOT the way to win over customers.

Depending on how the media play this, I can see this making big headlines and people getting offended (in my opinion, somewhat justifiably) by this.

Totally agree. I'm not offended in any way - I just think he's had one of those moments. We all have them. Unfortunately for him he's indirectly insulted half of Apple's entire customer base.

Let's just say his PR team will be EXTREMELY busy tonight.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I don't think he was saying Android/Europe is crappy, so much as it's not truly one cohesive platform. Rather a bunch of autonomous platforms that are loosely tied together under one umbrella of services.

Or in Europe's case, a bunch of self autonomous countries that are tied together under a common set of laws and trade agreements.

Though the quote itself isn't exactly the swooftest thing I've ever heard ole Cook say.

I agree it's not the analogy that was so bad, it was his explanation of what Europe is.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If Android is the EU, I guess BlackBerry 10 must be an EFTA country.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
The people of North Korea seem to be very, very happy. The second happiest nation behind China, according to their 'research'.

In all seriousness: Android sucks.

According to Apple's research too. Haha. Agreed about Android.

Diesel79

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
UK
I've been a long time iphone user, I also own a mac mini and an iPad air. I love Apple products. But I recently switched to a Nexus 5 and it's a fantastic device, stock Android is a pleasure to use. With that being said this is just a temporary switch. If the iPhone 6 is a substantial update I will switch back in a heart beat.

I just wish all these tech companies would stop running each other down, At the end of the day it's all great tech. There's things I like about iOS and things I like about Android, but day to day usage is exactly the same on both devices.

But, at the end of the day it's we, the consumers who benefit from all this competition so who cares :)

cipo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
Europe was a name that somebody came up with for Americans who didn't understand that Europe was a lot of countries that weren't like U.S. states.

Dear American friends: if you need any clarification about the concept of continents, countries, federal states and their relationships with each other, feel free to ask. :)

Seriously, this is a ridiculous comment coming from a 12-year-old, but from a CEO of a globally operating enterprise? :eek:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Tim Cook is a great speaker. And I really mean that that was awesome. Tim just made my day:D

----------

This is the most uneducated and idiotic comment I have heard in years... Good luck Apple with this kind of leadership... :eek:

I thought it was really cleaver.

----------

Dear American friends: if you need any clarification about the concept of continents, countries, federal states and their relationships with each other, feel free to ask. :)

Seriously, this is a ridiculous comment coming from a 12-year-old, but from a CEO of a globally operating enterprise? :eek:

I disagree

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA

Attachments

• Europe2-thumb-300x297.jpg
    Europe2-thumb-300x297.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,320

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Yes. The word "Europe" did not exist until Americans needed a word to refer to the continent. Ohhh-kaaaaay, Mr Cook…

Don't question Tim he really knows where his words come from...

----------

He is much too polite: 'Android is Like America', Totally ****ed Up

Yeah sounds supper professional.

----------

Android is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.

No chocolates usually are just what I think they will be.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Yeah... And the United states of great healthcare, NSA, Snowden percecution, school shootings should really be the way to go...

1st: Everyone for themselves "I worked my ass off all my life and I do not understand why I am supposed to support other people" (usually heard by people from the east coast around Vermont with 3 kitchens they dont use, a picture of former presidents and two guns hanging above a fire place)

2nd & 3rd: I dont care, I got nothing to hide

4th: We need more guns!!! Arm teachers and Cashiers at the movie theater

:p

*disclaimer: this post is not supposed to offend anyone personally

Springman

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
Ha ha, love it. My experience with Android is terrible, I was reluctant to use Apple stuff, but finally got smart and haven't looked back.

booyahbooyah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
He called Android "crappy" and compared it to Europe.

Dude, amateur hour is over.

This creep needs to retire, stat. And do something safer, such as becoming a booster for Duke and Auburn.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Totally agree. I'm not offended in any way - I just think he's had one of those moments. We all have them. Unfortunately for him he's indirectly insulted half of Apple's entire customer base.

Let's just say his PR team will be EXTREMELY busy tonight.

I wouldn't expect you to be offended if you're in the UK like me ;). We may be Europe by name, but not always by nature. Having said that TC's statement could easily be taken in bad taste.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So is Mac Rumors going to post a different front page story for every single thing Cook said in this interview? How about one story with a link to the interview where everyone can read the whole thing themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.