Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I snagged it before it was pulled. My top score so far is 12, and that puts me in 16 millionth place. The top score (and there are several players at that level) is 9,999. :eek:

I can see how people could get addicted to it; it's cute in a sort of retro way. But I wonder what Nguyen was thinking when he submitted it to the App Store. Most developers would be thrilled with the kind of response Flappy Bird got, and be working on a sequel. Why submit a game if you don't want a lot of people playing it?

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Since the app still runs for those who already downloaded it he's not really turning down $50k/day from the in-app ads. He's just turning down the potential incremental income that would accrue from additional downloads.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Wow this is just an incredibly bad decision made by the developer. "Flappy Bird" is a great game and he would obviously earn big money if he sells it to a larger company like Gameloft.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Since the app still runs for those who already downloaded it he's not really turning down $50k/day from the in-app ads. He's just turning down the potential incremental income that would accrue from additional downloads.

This.

If he was selling it, he would be turning down cash. He isn't, so he will keep making for as long as people keep playing it. Which, arguably, he has vastly prolonged by making the game the forbidden fruit. Maybe this isn't a stunt, maybe he is one smart guy with a perfectly reasonable strategy of maximizing profit while minimizing his time and labor.

P.S. Maybe I'm a fluke, (and definitely not a gamer) but this is the first game I've played since Planets vs. Zombies and Angry Birds (not counting Wurdl, which I have played all along). The fact that he hooked a non-gamer like me really shows something -- maybe just dumb luck, but maybe he is way smarter than he is being given credit.

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
For those wondering, if you downloaded it, it will still always be available in the Purchased section of the app store for your account, even though it's been removed from the store.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I guess now you'll have to play one of the many clones. Hell, I'll probably even spend an hour making one just to see how close I get to the original having never played it. :rolleyes:

Evmanw

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010

I just checked the game and there are no more ads. I think he is turning down $50,000/day :confused:

BRINET

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2014
RE: Flappy Bird Removed From App Store by Developer

That's ok. That game was annoying as **** anyways!

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
What kind of "pressure" was he getting? People telling him they like his work? Oh, the horror. Don't worry, the stupid game will be back by year's end.

Rotatores

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2014
Legal?

I'm curious if there are any legal issues with this (hence the quick take down from the App Store).

I wouldn't be surprised if more info comes out soon.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
I don't, hes an idiot. People like his game, it doesn't mean he has to read news about it or respond to anything. It's on the app store making him money.

You don't get it do you? With the media these days and their desperate attempts to have something "news worthy," He's probably being harassed non-stop about the death that the game brought.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
You don't get it do you? With the media these days and their desperate attempts to have something "news worthy," He's probably being harassed non-stop about the death that the game brought.

Yeah, but taking it down will not prevent people from playing the game, tweeting about it or attempting to contact the developer. If anything this move is likely to increase his attention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.