Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

To commemorate the 50th anniversary of The Beatles' American debut, Apple today has expanded the lineup for its Apple TV set-top box by adding a channel dedicated to the legendary rock group.

beatles_atv-800x482.jpg
The channel allows users to view The Beatles' groundbreaking performance on "The Ed Sullivan Show" for a limited time, and also offers download links to The Beatles' U.S. releases, which are available digitally for the first time on iTunes.

The Beatles' music originally debuted on iTunes in November 2010 after years of speculation and prolonged negotiation between record label EMI and Apple. The group's music went on to sell 2 million songs and 450,000 albums in its first week on the iTunes Store, and eventually reached overall sales of 5 million songs and 1 million albums within in two months. Exclusive ringtones by The Beatles were made available on iTunes in February 2012, and a digital compilation of 59 rare and unheard recordings by the group also launched last December.

Thanks, Mike!

Article Link: Apple Celebrates The Beatles' American Debut with New Apple TV Channel

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This is the first time I wish I hadn't sold my Apple TV. This would be awesome to watch today.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
there needs to be a new UI! so cluttered.

also shocker: i cant name a single song of the Beatles ... :eek:

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
so, just the Ed Sullivan Show and stuff you can buy from iTunes?

Was hoping for a few documentaries or something.

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not looking at the channel, but isn't this just a glorified ad? A couple YouTube clips that you can see for a limited time and links to their records for sale?

Dig up some wild stuff and I'm listening.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I get the feeling that Apple love The Beatles :p

From what I understand, the Beatles was one of Steve Job's favorites and it was a big deal to bring them on to iTunes.

There are very few bands that are able to maintain their cache decades later. If you think about today's artist, how many will be remembered 50 years from now?

So yes Apple loves the Beatles, partly because of Steve, but also because their music still resonates and they were simply a great band.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
How about something useful. Like allowing a true Plex app and Amazon Instant Video. Rather than having to use a hack for an unofficial client or jailbreak.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
From what I understand, the Beatles was one of Steve Job's favorites and it was a big deal to bring them on to iTunes.

There are very few bands that are able to maintain their cache decades later. If you think about today's artist, how many will be remembered 50 years from now?

So yes Apple loves the Beatles, partly because of Steve, but also because their music still resonates and they were simply a great band.

I get your point, but everyone with a #1 song today will be remembered by someone 50 years from now. Anyone with 10 #1 songs will be remembered by several people 50 years from now. Anyone with more than 20 #1 songs will be remembered by a lot of people 50 years from now. 50 years is not really that long. There is a lot of pretty bad music from the 40s and 50s many (even young people) would recognize today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.