Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Flappy Bird fans upset the game has been pulled from the App Store by its developer should not blame Nintendo for the removal, despite similarities to Nintendo's Super Mario Bros. game. Nintendo spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa confirmed to The Wall Street Journal that the game maker had not complained about the title.
In an email to The Wall Street Journal, Nintendo spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa on Monday reiterated previous company statements that the Japanese videogame giant hasn't complained at all about Flappy Bird's similarities to Nintendo's original "Super Mario Bros."

"While we usually do not comment on the rumors and speculations, we have already denied the speculation" last week, he [Yasuhiro Minagawa] said.
flappy-bird.jpg
Reports suggest Nguyen could face a copyright lawsuit and other legal issues in his home country of Vietnam, but the developer has denied those claims. He instead expressed frustration at the attention his game has brought him, pleading on Twitter for the media to "Please give me peace."

Press people are overrating the success of my games. It is something I never want. Please give me peace. - Dong Nguyen (@dongatory) February 4, 2014
Flappy Bird no longer appears in the App Store and is only available to those who downloaded the app before it was removed. Nguyen said he is not interested in selling the game, so it won't return unless he changes his mind. Before it was removed, Flappy Bird was generating $50,000 a day in ad revenue and had been downloaded over 50 million times, according to The Verge.

Article Link: Nintendo Not Responsible for 'Flappy Bird' Removal

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
This whole thing is totally wacky. Dong should consider unplugging his Internet connection for a week, and enjoying some quiet time with his wads of cash.

I wonder if he plays Flappy Bird himself.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Can we get a 'Flappy Bird Blog' tab up at the top if these articles are going to be a regular thing?

thmsup

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
Dong is probably just frustrated, cause he isn't able to score higher than 5. And if he can't. Nobody can. Simple as that.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
The reviews for the app in the App Store are unlike anything I've ever seen, lots of kids stating the game is a conspiracy, it's Satanic and ruined their lives, etc. Some sort of meme happening there it seems to me.

Anyway, maybe the developer reads this stuff through a translator and is genuinely mortified by what he is being publicly accused of?

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I am normally a pretty compassionate person, but I almost feel like organizing a campaign to continually spam this guy's social media accounts.

How many people are working their butts off trying to enjoy some level of success financially and this guy pisses it away because it interrupts his quiet life.

And the reality is that he fumbled into success. It was not his programming genius that caused this game to succeed. It was its difficulty on top of simplistic graphics and game play coupled with some social media viral bizarreness.

He's as bad as the movie stars that complain about paparazzi.

I know my insensitivity will anger some, but I did say that I "almost' feel like doing something.

----------

Read this

You know that is a joke right?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
This guy gamed his rankings with a botnet service and it got out of control. That's why he took it down. He wants the attention off him but it's too late. He's a scammer.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Neither do I... But the man that walked away from 50k a day in revenue to sit on his ass takes away his money maker.... Smells like marketing

I think you mis-read his post.

He said "I don't (think it's a marketing ploy) I think he's dead"

Which even feeble use of google shows is not the case.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Of course he should have realized that on the internet the quickest way to get people to pay attention to you is to say "Please leave me alone."

He's going to get more attention now than ever and it's not going to be nice attention. But maybe that is what he really wanted. Hard to know these days.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Hopefully a real newspaper would know how to use English punctuation conventions correctly.

During the Olympics last night my sister blurted out,"OMG Jim Carey was killed today in a snowboarding accident in Zermott Switzerland!"

Which of course didn't happen, but people love the internet equivalent of "Look over there! Made you look!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.