Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Just got mine...

What's included in the package: Two-layer iSkin duo (available in various colors... see http://www.iskin.com for the complete selection), removeable belt clip, clear screen protector, 2 click wheel protectors

Basically, this is pretty cool... the package includes 2 skins: An inner layer skin which touches the iPod itself, and an outer layer of a different color. The screen protector and the click wheel protector are held in place between the two layers, so neither of them actually touches the iPod itself... pretty cool! (In fact, the nano's click wheel is completely covered by the iSkin duo... using the click wheel protector is really optional, but you should use it if you want to preserve the "feel" of the click wheel.)

Even better, if you use it, the belt clip's inner part remains outside the inner layer, so it too does not touch the iPod itself! This is a great way to prevent anything from scratching or marring your iPod... not to mention, the dual-layering of the skins means that any rubbing of the outer skin won't be transferred to the iPod's surface, but to the inner skin... again, this helps protect your iPod from even incidental damage.

The hold switch on top of the nano is left completely exposed, but the dock and headphone connectors at the bottom of the nano are covered by flaps of the outer skin which easily flip out of the way. (Not sure if this means the iSkin duo is dock-friendly... will check this next time I'm at the Apple Store. The iSkin duo DOES prevent the nano from fitting into the Apple nano armband.)

The edges and corners of the iSkin duo are textured with dots which make it even easier to hold.

But best of all, I've found that once you install an iSkin duo, any minor scratches or blemishes on your nano are pretty much invisible! The screen protector does a really good job of hiding them from your view.

Just based on my initial impressions so far, I give the iSkin duo for iPod nano a 9.5 / 10... the only thing that would make it better is if the price were lower (they're US$29.95 from http://www.iskin.com ).

Highly recommended!

Attachments

• DSC00306.jpg
    DSC00306.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC00307.jpg
    DSC00307.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 271

CalGrunt

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
Thanks for the review and the pics, clay. Much appreciated being that I'm going to be getting a Nano soon................but I have a question.

Being that Nano is so damn sexy lookin', and so small, why would anyone want to cover it up and/or make it bigger than what it is with a protective case? And I'm not just talking about iSkin, but any of the protective cases with the exception of InvisableShield. With InvisableShield, it doesn't hide the beauty of the Nano, nor does it make it any larger, so it will still fit into the Nano armband...........and.........it's protects it from scratches.

As protective as the iSkin is, it still, in my opinion, hides the really nice asthetics of the Nano while making it larger, which to me, kinda defeats the reason of getting a Nano in the first place.

Really looking for some counter opinions on this as to why one would get an iSkin over InvisableShield.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I agree, there is certainly an argument to be made for preserving the nano's aesthetic qualities as much as possible... the InvisibleShield definitely conceals less of the nano from view. I thought about getting an InvisibleShield, but didn't for a few reasons.

First, the price. $20 for a couple of pieces of thin film? Seems excessive to me. (Maybe the IS folks should get together with Apple about pre-installing InvisibleShields on new iPods at the factory.)

Second, although the InvisibleShield does preserve the beauty of the nano quite well, there's just something about the idea of relying on a couple of micrometer-thick pieces of plastic film to protect the nano that I can't get my head around. I want something more substantial. (Ideally, I'd like to be able to dispense with skins and shields altogether, but Apple hasn't released a crystal/titanium iPod yet.)

Finally, I really liked the iSkins I had with my 4G iPod.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
I agree completely. You shouldn't have to put a protective cover over your nano, or any other pod to protect yet conceal it's looks. (ok, if you're using it where it may get damaged, gym etc, fair enough)

This is why I always wait for second gen ipods. Apple have usually ironed out any snags, or added extra features/batt life by then. I'm hoping 2gen will be more scratch resistant.

I'ts frustrating that Apply spend so much time making their products look sleek and sexy, then you have to go cover the thing up, muting it's good looks and usually increasing the size. They may as well spend less time trying to get the size down and the look right, sell the thing encased in rubber to start with & keep the price down!!

With the scratching problem the way it is, I think Apple should have offered people a no question refund on the 1st gen nano, instead of expecting people to put their hand in their own pocket to make the thing 'life proof'

As I say, I didn't get one yet, but I can imagine the number of people for whom the Nano was a fairly major expense, who then found out they were then going to have to start shelling out even more cash.....

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Update: The iSkin duo for iPod nano is NOT dock-friendly. You would pretty much have to take the entire iPod out of the iSkin for it to be docked.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
clayj said:
Update: The iSkin duo for iPod nano is NOT dock-friendly. You would pretty much have to take the entire iPod out of the iSkin for it to be docked.

Even using a different adapter like the mini or ipod?

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
snowmoon said:
Even using a different adapter like the mini or ipod?
More clarification: The nano will NOT fit in the nano-specific dock while it has an iSkin on... it MIGHT fit in a larger dock, but I did not try this. The problem is that the iSkin dock-protector flap is pretty thick and it's hinged at the BACK of the nano, so it would be very hard to flip it out of the way and keep it there and still be able to negotiate the nano onto the dock.

Ergo, not dock-friendly. It's possible, I suppose, to slice off the dock-protector flap, but I'm not sure I really want to try that.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
no it cant go into the large dock(at least it doesnt fit in mine) i do agree thats it is a good item. its alot of work getting the two skin off though or just connect it without the dock if u dont want to "uncloth" the nano

Sucks that it doesnt fit into the armband

Bless

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
clayj said:
It's possible, I suppose, to slice off the dock-protector flap
I've kept my 4G in an eVo2 iSkin since they were released, and am very pleased with iSkin's quality as well. The docking issue is one that is making me wonder if I'll spring for the 5G version or not. I would like to get a universal dock for its S-video out and would hate to have to take the 'pod in and out of its skin every time I dock it. I'll see how it goes with the Martin Fields screen protector.

B

fuzzynavo

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
CA
I just put on the iSkin on a black nano. From what I've seen online, I was afraid at first that the iSkin would make the nano look too much like a plastic chew toy for dogs. But I must say I'm fairly satisfied with it. The Arctic Frost at least looks pretty decent in person, and feels very well fitted and rugged.

Of course it does detract from the appearance of the nano. If I was worried only about scratches, the films sound like a better alternative, but since I do go running with this thing, and toss it in my backpack sometimes, a case does serve its purpose well. The screen protector is very clear and heavy duty, and I like the fact that the belt clip is completely removable from the iSkin (no bulky hard plastic protrusions or anything).

My two cents. :p

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Fuzzy, have you noticed that the screen protector doesn't seem to be quite large enough to let you see the entire nano screen without having to shift your point of view? It looks to me like it could stand to be a couple of millimeters larger in each dimension.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
clayj said:
Fuzzy, have you noticed that the screen protector doesn't seem to be quite large enough to let you see the entire nano screen without having to shift your point of view? It looks to me like it could stand to be a couple of millimeters larger in each dimension.

As in the corners right, i see it but i tried to look past it cuz i just spent $29.99 on this thing.
I was worried about the black nano not matching with the color but its looking good

Bless

fuzzynavo

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
CA
clayj said:

Yeah, it's like that on mine too. Makes the edges a tad difficult to see, especially if the backlight is off.

I also didn't like the implementation of the "second" clickwheel cover as it just seemed too loose on mine.

f

Here's a pic. The blue is a lot more subdued (almost clear, with a blue tint) in person.

Attachments

• DSCF0412.JPG
    DSCF0412.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 242
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.