Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5s_touch_id-250x250.jpg
Last month, a report from Digitimes stated that Apple supplier TSMC was preparing to begin production on fingerprint sensors for the iPhone 6, and was said to be moving to a larger 12-inch fab from the current 8-inch fab to increase production efficiency. However, Digitimes is now reporting that TSMC will once again be utilizing its 8-inch processing for the iPhone 6, as Apple has cited concerns with the yield rate of the 12-inch fab.
Apple previously decided to have TSMC produce fingerprint sensors for its next-generation iPhone at the foundry's 12-inch facilities using a 65nm process, the sources noted. However, acknowledging risks associated with 12-inch WLP technologies, Apple has finally chosen TSMC's 8-inch processing which enables mature yield rates for WLP to produce the fingerprint sensors, the sources said.
The report also notes that TSMC will continue to contract the packaging process other firms as a result of moving back to the 8-inch processing. Previously, TSMC was said to be handling the packaging process itself in order to centralize control over the component.

The Touch ID fingerprint sensor was said to be a key factor contributing to the limited supplies of the iPhone 5s at its launch last September, with low yield rates at packaging firm Xintec and iOS 7-sensor integration slowing production. However, with several of those issues ironed out and TSMC now able to utilize a refined process, launch supplies of the next-generation iPhone are likely to be more readily available.

Article Link: TSMC to Use Current Fingerprint Sensor Processing Method for iPhone 6

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Somehow Apple has got to get these yield rates (leading to product shortages) under control. If that means sticking with a slightly older but more reliable technology for another generation, I'm all for it. When they can't get their product out to people, no one cares how advanced the technology is.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Somehow Apple has got to get these yield rates (leading to product shortages) under control. If that means sticking with a slightly older but more reliable technology for another generation, I'm all for it. When they can't get their product out to people, no one cares how advanced the technology is.

They got millions of devices to customers. 9 million in one weekend btw. The demand is so high they can't even keep up. I'm not down for Apple withholding technology for a year so some people don't have to wait a month or two to get their devices. Talk about backward thinking.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
Apple should have spilt the orders between TSMC and UMC. A dual supplier strategy is always safer.

This also goes to show that 450mm wafer technology is a long ways off from mainstream adoption.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
so we want to know if this will be still in home button or will be on the bottom of the display!!

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I thought TSMC are going / only produce aX chips for Apple, good to know they also produce the fingerprint sensor. Good business for them.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
So in other words it will be as useless to me as the Touch ID on the three 5s units I've had. Thanks Apple.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Get those yields up and get it on the next iPads too. The number of times I pick up my iPads after using my 5S and I sit with my finger on the home button waiting for it to unlock before remembering that I have to swipe and put in the code is annoying.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

Somehow? It's not that easy especially for someone who has probably never taken a business class to understand supply and demand theories.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
At least Apple's fingerprint sensor is gonna last more than one model.

I remember the fingerprint sensor on the Motorola Atrix. They probably put a lot of effort into it, right?

But it was nowhere to be found on the Atrix 2. In fact... no other Motorola smartphone had a fingerprint sensor after the Atrix. Weird.

I'm glad Apple is sticking with it. I heartily enjoy my iPhone 5S because of it.

Infinus.gold

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
Finger Print security is great...
i enjoy thoroughly;
hope developers make good use of this hardware....

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I'm sorry, what?

It will provide more security for Apple users. Is there something you dont understand? Nobody in my home or office can access my phone thus making it more secure. Its not that hard to grasp surely? :confused:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Not everything Apple sources on the semiconductor side is dual sourced. Though that's a sound strategy, it can also lead to significant challenges between foundries - chasing problems they don't need right now.

Staying on a predictable 8" process while continuing to improve the 12" process is standard practice in this business.

They will likely second source in the future, however they could also simply tell TSMC they need a second source and let them deal with it. They do that with other suppliers.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
It will provide more security for Apple users. Is there something you dont understand? Nobody in my home or office can access my phone thus making it more secure. Its not that hard to grasp surely? :confused:

It's not hard to grasp, but it has nothing to do with this article. His comment would have made more sense as a reply to the post talking about the fingerprint sensor in the 5S before it was released. We already have the 5S with a fingerprint sensor, and know that it increases security, so his comment was un-nesscessary.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Finger Print security is great...
i enjoy thoroughly;
hope developers make good use of this hardware....

Apple will have to open up this feature to developers first. I think the only way to use it currently is via a jailbreak.

Which is a shame. It would be cool to be able to unlock apps like 1password using your fingerprint instead of having to type in a password every time.

kdarling

macrumors P6
They got millions of devices to customers. 9 million in one weekend btw.

Note that they didn't get 9 million TO customers that weekend. They simply sold that many.

The press release is here. It also noted that:

"Demand for iPhone 5s has exceeded the initial supply, and many online orders are scheduled to be shipped in the coming weeks."

The demand is so high they can't even keep up. I'm not down for Apple withholding technology for a year so some people don't have to wait a month or two to get their devices. Talk about backward thinking.

True, but they always seem to wait until the last second to start building. The delay seems to be mostly about wanting secrecy. If they started too far ahead, there'd be leaks all over. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.