Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't see why eBay is removing these, if I want to sell my iphone with free apps installed, who gets hurt here ?

You do not own the license to sell the digital content on the phone, therefore it is technically a copyright violation. As far as who gets hurt? Well, eBay, when content owners decide to sue a website that condones this sort of sale.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Sorry how would that not constitute earning it?

As said above, 'you do not own the license to sell the digital content on the phone'.

It's trying to profit (illegally) from someone else's work/IP. So my point stands, if he wants the money that bad, go and earn it instead of ripping off another persons work.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
As said above, 'you do not own the license to sell the digital content on the phone'.

It's trying to profit (illegally) from someone else's work/IP. So my point stands, if he wants the money that bad, go and earn it instead of ripping off another persons work.

Its not illegal to sell a device with software on it, especially one that is free. I can download google chrome onto my phone and sell it, same thing. The reason eBay is removing these auctions is because eBay requires phones to be restored to factory settings before being offered for sale. A phone with non factory installed apps on it clearly does not meet this requirement.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Checking Gumtree this morning in the UK there are several iPhones in my area with Flappy Birds installed selling for £1000!!! Some people will try anything for a buck. Stupid game - I don't see what all the fuss is about.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Checking Gumtree this morning in the UK there are several iPhones in my area with Flappy Birds installed selling for £1000!!! Some people will try anything for a buck. Stupid game - I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Thats more than a buck mate. Of it goes through good business on the seller, the buyer is crazy, stupid.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Nope. Well, didn't work for me. I listed on eBay and the next day it was taken off. I got a message from eBay and it said I couldn't list a device until a full restore has been carried out. Obviously when I full restore is carried out, all apps are deleted!

Last edited:

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Can't you just do an install service?

Send me your phone, logged out of app store.
I'll log in, install Flappy Birds, then log out, send it back to you..

For $100?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Its not illegal to sell a device with software on it, especially one that is free. I can download google chrome onto my phone and sell it, same thing.

Technically, you cannot, at least not in the states. You do not own the license to distribute that software irregardless of what you paid for it.

Will Google come after you for selling a machine with chrome on it? Almost certainly not (it's actually in their best interest not to). But the point is eBay has to protect themselves and unlicensed sale/distribution of software is one of those areas they are pretty strict about.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
OP: This seems really silly. I would personally love to see this happen.

Its not illegal to sell a device with software on it, especially one that is free. I can download google chrome onto my phone and sell it, same thing. The reason eBay is removing these auctions is because eBay requires phones to be restored to factory settings before being offered for sale. A phone with non factory installed apps on it clearly does not meet this requirement.

Pro tip: if you're going to claim something isn't illegal, it may be helpful to provide a source to back up the claim. Mostly because I am fairly certain you're wrong. It's not a matter of free, it's a matter of distribution of software. I suppose I could be wrong.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
OP: This seems really silly. I would personally love to see this happen.

Pro tip: if you're going to claim something isn't illegal, it may be helpful to provide a source to back up the claim. Mostly because I am fairly certain you're wrong. It's not a matter of free, it's a matter of distribution of software. I suppose I could be wrong.

You're not. :cool:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You're not. :cool:

Well then, there is that I suppose.

I still want to see the OP actually pull this off. Just when I want to believe people value their money, something like this comes along and makes me realize that is simply not the case.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Technically, you cannot, at least not in the states. You do not own the license to distribute that software irregardless of what you paid for it.

Will Google come after you for selling a machine with chrome on it? Almost certainly not (it's actually in their best interest not to). But the point is eBay has to protect themselves and unlicensed sale/distribution of software is one of those areas they are pretty strict about.

You are right. They will not come after anyone for doing such a thing.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
On a related topic there is a copy of the game on the App Store called "Splashy Fish". Exact same game except its a fish under water and the sounds are different.

Wonder if it's the same guy publishing under a different name.

----------

Is the flappy birds app that expensive? Why?

No it was free. That's what's so ridiculous about all of this.

I really hope these are fake eBay posts.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
I'm beginning to call it Flappy Hype. My local classifieds are becoming useless to use at the moment as its being flooded with phones preinstalled with floppy birds. All ranging from $900+.

Everyone is hyped up over the fact that people are charging absurd prices for their devices and also that an apparent iPhone sold for over $100,000 with the app (although the bidding was staged).

Anything is possible, however you'll never be able to sell your phone for far above the initial resale value of the phone itself.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
On a related topic there is a copy of the game on the App Store called "Splashy Fish". Exact same game except its a fish under water and the sounds are different.

Wonder if it's the same guy publishing under a different name.

----------

No it was free. That's what's so ridiculous about all of this.

I really hope these are fake eBay posts.

I did a google search on this. I guess it's no longer available for free download; so basically, it's a collector app if you have it on your smartphone. Just crazy…

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
They posted in the news forum that eBay is now removing iPhone listings with Flappy Bird installed because to sell a phone, it must be restored so that there is nothing but the OS remaining on the device, no apps whatsoever.

OP, you can no longer sell it on eBay.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
Hi guys,

Having read some articles about some people selling their iPhones with the notorious game pre-installed for a ridiculous sum of money, I thought I'd give it a punt and do the same.

Problem is, are these legitimate bids and sales, or does eBay remove the listing?

Also, how does one go about selling their iPhone with the app installed but without having their Apple ID linked to the phone? What is the safest way to do so?

I can't believe I'm even typing this, but if this makes me a wod of cash, I won't think this was a wacky idea anymore :D Am I dreaming?

Thanks! ;):D

Yes you are dreaming!! All of these ebay auctions are not legit, they are all sellers with 0 feedback. No I know an ebay seller has to start somewhere, but not tons of them selling an iphone with a stupid game on it. Go ahead and sell you phone and please report back on how it worked out for you!

:apple:

hbman122

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
eBay have actually started removing all listings of this kind because their Terms and Conditions state that all phones sold have to be restored back to factory settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.