Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omnisphere

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Give me a 5" screen and small bezels not bezel free!

4" is to small for a phone you can use for internet and mail.

:D

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
If it is truly bezel free, how could you put a decent case on it without covering up part of the screen??

Just the usual way:
Apple_iPhone_5S_case.jpg

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
This could look really good, but add another level of fragile-ness to the device with the screen being right on the edge like that.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
How large of a screen do we need? I don't want some large slab jammed in my pocket. I've seen some of those ugly huge Samsung "phones" that are the size of an iPad mini. I think the current size is fine.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
When I first saw the leaked iPhone 5 parts with the larger display, I disliked it because I thought it looked stretched, but by the time it was released I thought it looked great. Now, looking back at 4S and lower, the screens look squashed.

Fast forward a year or so, and I see a mockup of a bezel-less iPhone, and it looked horrible. Now I've seen it again, it doesn't look too bad.

Basically, any change will immediately be un-welcomed by your mind, but give it time and your brain will do all the adjusting.

Come release day you will all want one.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Nice! really hoping it's bezel free. Who cares about putting a tacky plastic case on it.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Like emjaycee said... I don't know how this will work with cases. Except for super slim cases, most cases come over the edges of the phone a bit. I could also see a lot of accidental contact/interaction with the screen, just by the nature of holding a phone and your skin touching the edges.

With a sapphire crystal display ( and if they go to a glass back a la iPhone 4/4S) there won't be a need for a case since it will be basically indestructible (under reasonable stress).

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
If this turns out to be true, I really like the new options. But will wait and see (like always) what the final product will looks like before jumping in.

nspindel

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
+1 for bezel free means problems with cases. It is important for protection of the screen that a case has a rim around the edges, so that when the phone is placed down it is not resting on the screen itself, the screen is a millimeter or two away from the surface the phone is being placed on. Even with a bezel, that rim from the case can make it difficult to touch the screen at the very edges. Getting rid of the bezel will only make that worse.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
When I first saw the leaked iPhone 5 parts with the larger display, I disliked it because I thought it looked stretched, but by the time it was released I thought it looked great. Now, looking back at 4S and lower, the screens look squashed.

Fast forward a year or so, and I see a mockup of a bezel-less iPhone, and it looked horrible. Now I've seen it again, it doesn't look too bad.

Basically, any change will immediately be un-welcomed by your mind, but give it time and your brain will do all the adjusting.

Come release day you will all want one.

So true. Faster and bigger, with (hopefully) improved i0S.

Yep...count me in.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Wouldn't that make it more suseptilabe to cracking?

I don't mind small bezels, it's that giant top and bottom one that looks dates

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"display with "glass that curves downward at the edges", perhaps alluding to a bezel-less design in which the edge of the device is formed by the display glass itself rather than a separate bezel."

That's always what I thought any rumors (if at ALL true) about curved glass meant. Rounded edges, no more, no less. NOT any kind of rounded/curved display. (Though I have heard Samsung boosters--in real life--talk about how Samsung innovated curved screens--and that Apple, as usual, will copy Samsung :p I wish I was kidding!)

And glass area still counts as "bezel." We don't refer to JUST the tiny plastic/metal lip as a bezel. There would still be a small (smaller than now?) non-display area at the edges. Because of the possible rounded edge, and because you can't light up a screen all the way to the edge with today's best display tech, and because you wouldn't want touch sensors all the way to the very edge of a handheld device. Yes, touch-rejection software works, but better not to need it--and you'd still be covering up a bit of display when gripping. That matters more than on an iPad, and more with NO margin than with a small one.

So--"bezel-free"? I think not. But simpler faceplate attachment? Sure, could well be.

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
Please no. If I had a phone without bezels I'd be prone to accidentally touch the sides every time I picked it up

rikardors

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2013
Concepcion, Chile
Complains-Acceptance- Love

Every year is the same thing folks, new models arrive, we complain like ohh..what an ugly model...shame on apple- next step is like ummm thats fine and finally tons of people in line being like I WANT THAT iPhone!. including the ones who complained..(including me)

-Humans are so predictable.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Bezels are a good thing, without them you would accidentally touch areas of the screen and the phone just looks odd.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
I like this idea; it'll allow for a larger screen without the device having to be significantly larger than previous iterations.

I just really hope the bigger screen doesn't mean another row of icons; that's really not making the most of the available space. Ideally they'll increase the icon size and/or spacing.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
We will get parts leaked soon enough which has become a yearly custom before all iPhone releases.

It was more fun when we had no clue what the original iPhone would look like and got mockups like this:

I4gcxyQ.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.