Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Final Cut Pro x lags way too much on my MBA.

Then again iMovie is pure **** compared to it.

MacBook Airs aren't really editing computers. That being said, FCPX worked decently on my 2011 11" MBA when I tried it out a while back, I only did it for fun though so I wasn't being too critical.

At the end of the day, FCPX was designed to blur the lines between professional (FCP7) and amateur (iMovie) applications, designed to cater to both people, if you don't believe it can be used in a professional environment then you're the one losing out; it's not your tools that define you but your skill. Caring too much about your tool is what's holding you back. Whatever gets the job done, use it, because otherwise you're gonna be spending more time faffing around trying to find the perfect application than actually getting up and doing something.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
With the latest update, does anyone miss not having the projects lists in the bottom of FCPX? I like how they restructured it from a file standpoint, just wish they would have left the projects below as like a shortcut. Like a smart collection for all projects. Reason being is I bounce back and forth between projects and and utilize the events obviously. So it's like i'm losing my place each time I switch.

I know everyone is praising the change, but does anyone else find this kind of annoying? I realize I'm being picky, just curious if I'm the only one.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
That seems strange coming from FCP7. The editing workflow is pretty much exactly the same and Adobe had lept far beyond FCP7s capabilities by that point.

I agree. At this point, CUDA acceleration and the familiarity of the PP CS6 has me staying put. However, I'll continue to mess around with FCX 10.1, when and if I permanently make the switch, it'll be an easy transition.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
With the latest update, does anyone miss not having the projects lists in the bottom of FCPX? I like how they restructured it from a file standpoint, just wish they would have left the projects below as like a shortcut. Like a smart collection for all projects. Reason being is I bounce back and forth between projects and and utilize the events obviously. So it's like i'm losing my place each time I switch.

I know everyone is praising the change, but does anyone else find this kind of annoying? I realize I'm being picky, just curious if I'm the only one.

it bothered me too so im glad I kept a copy of 10.0.9 on my system before I upgraded... so I have 10.1 and & 10.9 on dock on my mac book pro...

----------

The timeline on FCP X is a must for me. I can't produce videos any other way now... the flexibility to move stuff around in totally unconventional ways and with custom groups and compound clips works wonders for my projects. Premiere is cool but it's not for me, the FCP 7 ways of doing things are out for me and I've had incredible results using the software. Here's a new video

vimeo.com/zwhaler/livetraxs

who's the host ... she's super hot..

----------

I'm in love with FCPX. Having said that, i've never used track based editing software for video work, and I hated tracks when I did audio work in the past. I just really enjoy how quickly and easily I can lay down projects with FCPX. I'm sure for very pro level work like big budget movies and the like, tracks may still be better. For smaller projects or ones that have a tight schedule, I think FCPX works very well. (specially internet projects, which there's alot of these days)

im gonna try to cut a music video on fcpx soon. Ive done gonna try another. I still have my fcp7 for bigger projects but man there's nothing as fast and simple to use as FCPx. I love it...

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
So tiered of people dismissing FCPX as a toy. Do you have any idea of how powerful an editing software it has become ?
It still lacks in some areas, but with the short intervals of updates it has had, I'm pretty sure it will cover most bases in the not to distant future.
Heck, I even edit my 5K Red Epic R3D files natively and have access to a lot of the meta data from within FCPX.

you can import red files with transcoding issues... Im using a red scarlet this weekend...

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
So tiered of people dismissing FCPX as a toy. Do you have any idea of how powerful an editing software it has become ?
It still lacks in some areas, but with the short intervals of updates it has had, I'm pretty sure it will cover most bases in the not to distant future.
Heck, I even edit my 5K Red Epic R3D files natively and have access to a lot of the meta data from within FCPX.

you don't have to transcode r3d files anymore?

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
Transcode? You don't have to transcode much of anything theses days.

It does help to put your files in a native run-of-the-mill codec and file format, but it's not necessary.

so what your telling me is if I have a import my files from a red epic with ssd card reader. I don't have to worry about transcoding with fcpx...

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
so what your telling me is if I have a import my files from a red epic with ssd card reader. I don't have to worry about transcoding with fcpx...

Yup. You can start to edit straight away. Just use best performance in the settings. It does depend on your mac of course. Transcode has to be done in export or you can have background render on

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Premiere and FCX can both load R3Ds natively now. In FCX you click on the info tab and you get access to the meta data adjustments. In Premirer you right click the clip and click "source settings" if memory serves me right to do the same

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Ok can onky speak for a Late 2012 iMac with footage attached on a pegasus r6.

Curious, do you have FCPX set to Best Performance or Best Quality? If it's set to Best Performance you should set PPro CC to 1/4 playback resolution to get an apples to apples comparison.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Curious, do you have FCPX set to Best Performance or Best Quality? If it's set to Best Performance you should set PPro CC to 1/4 playback resolution to get an apples to apples comparison.

I'll get my nMP on Tuesday, than I will report back :)

dopeman

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
I.m scared to move to fcp x from fcp 7. Is fcp x the profession/ industrial standard? After researching I know some people don't like fcp x due to workflow.... But is it Hollywood standard?

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
It's not Hollywood standard, but neither is premiere and Fincher just cut Gone Girl using Adobe.
I'm working on a national TV show in Norway where they have just moved from fcp7 to fcpx and it works like a charm.
I'm a DP on the show and we use everything from Red Dragon, Sony F55 to Gopro and FCPX have no trouble with none of the new codecs.
I would certainly learn it if I where you. Use it on some smaller projects to get a feel for it first though

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Ho hummm standards :p
If we all stuck to that we'd be only shooting with Sony Beta/XDCAM :p

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/new...irst-hollywood-feature-cut-on-final-cut-pro-x

----------

I.m scared to move to fcp x from fcp 7. Is fcp x the profession/ industrial standard? After researching I know some people don't like fcp x due to workflow.... But is it Hollywood standard?

Most of us moved over back in 2011.

Sure we still have FCP7 on a diff boot drive but IMHO, that app is dead.

Now if your worried you wont get a job using it, then dont blame the app.

Its your talent that should shine.

Pro houses dont hire button pushers.

If your experienced in one NLE (and have a great demo), you can learn the basics overnight in another.

dopeman

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
It's not Hollywood standard, but neither is premiere and Fincher just cut Gone Girl using Adobe.
I'm working on a national TV show in Norway where they have just moved from fcp7 to fcpx and it works like a charm.
I'm a DP on the show and we use everything from Red Dragon, Sony F55 to Gopro and FCPX have no trouble with none of the new codecs.
I would certainly learn it if I where you. Use it on some smaller projects to get a feel for it first though

sounds great..i'm going to give it a try. thx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.