Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS devices accounted for 73 percent of all enterprise mobile device activations and grabbed the top ten spots for most popular devices in the fourth quarter of 2013, reports Good Technology in its Mobility Index Report for Q4 2013.
From a device perspective, we continued to see an increase in iOS activations this quarter, which we can attribute to two new iPhone models coming to market just before the start of the quarter. The overall number of device activations has increased 34 percent from Q1 to Q4 of this year, indicating strong, continued growth and adoption of the Good Secure Mobility Solution. As many organizations are migrating away from BlackBerry to meet end user demand and embrace newer platforms like iOS and Android, they are deploying Good's cross-platform solution to secure both their data and devices.
Good obtains this data from its customers that use the company's Good Dynamics Secure Mobility Platform. Its customer base includes many Fortune 500 companies in commercial banking, insurance, healthcare, retail, and government. The device usage report from these enterprise users shows that the iPhone made up 54 percent of total device activations, while Android smartphones followed with just over 20 percent.

iphone-good-q42013.png
The iPad maintains a strong hold on tablet activations, claiming 91.4 percent of enterprise tablet activations in Q4 2013, while Android accounted for the remaining 8.6 percent. The iPad was most popular in Financial Services and in Business and Professional Services, with the two sectors accounting for 60 percent of all Q4 iPad activations.

tablet-good-q42013.png
Apple routinely highlights corporate adoption of iOS devices during press events and earning conference calls. During Apple's recent quarterly earnings conference call, CEO Tim Cook confirmed "the enterprise area has huge potential" and said he expects Apple "would have more and more payback in the future" due to the company's investment in this area.

Article Link: iOS Dominates Enterprise Market with 73% of Mobile Device Activations

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm really (pleasantly) surprised by this. Enterprise was the one area Apple could never seem to break into. At my workplace, the bulk of IT deployment is ancient Windows XP boxes. Their server is Windows. But more and more workers are asking for Apple devices to use instead of Windows machines. It's interesting to watch our CIO endorse iOS devices and Macs, while many of her staff who are dyed-in-the-wool Windows advocates drag their heels and try to convince the workers that Windows devices are better.

I manage a large set of Mac labs, and it's been an uphill battle advocating to get someone on the IT staff who knows Macs. Maybe the tide has finally turned (probably thanks to Windows 8) and Apple adoption will continue to grow here. I can't wait!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
There is a lot I can do with my iPad at my office. Honestly, Microsoft should focus on getting Office on the iPad, not Surface. I'll bet they'd make more $$ off of iPad Office subscriptions (even with an Apple commission) than they are selling surface devices.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
The headline and main sentence are completely wrong, and are based on a misreading of the study. It simply surveys the devices using the Good mobility platform; it does not purport to survey enterprise activations in any larger sense. Given that Good's base is hugely skewed in favor of iOS devices, the article's premise is simply dead wrong.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
There is a lot I can do with my iPad at my office. Honestly, Microsoft should focus on getting Office on the iPad, not Surface. I'll bet they'd make more $$ off of iPad Office subscriptions (even with an Apple commission) than they are selling surface devices.

Well they clearly don't want to do that now because of how that might jeopardize Surface sales. But if Surface continues to do poorly, I wouldn't be surprised for Office to appear on the iPad.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
I'll bet they'd make more $$ off of iPad Office subscriptions (even with an Apple commission) than they are selling surface devices.
Especially since they aren't making money off selling Surface devices.

And hey, remember RIM? I used to work at a place that wouldn't allow you to use your iPhone as an enterprise device -- BB only. It wasn't even that long ago, but it seems like ancient history now.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
We use iPads at work for customer ordering. They are so easy to use and carry around.

We also have a large touch screen customer order point that runs Windows 8 and it's so unreliable. Constantly crashing. Our engineers keep telling us it's a Windows problem.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Remember when people would laugh if you used 'Apple' and 'Enterprise' in the same sentence?

They still do :(

An invisible man came to the Apple store for help with his enterprise email, but was told, "We can't see you today."

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
The headline and main sentence are completely wrong, and are based on a misreading of the study. It simply surveys the devices using the Good mobility platform; it does not purport to survey enterprise activations in any larger sense. Given that Good's base is hugely skewed in favor of iOS devices, the article's premise is simply dead wrong.
This is the MacRumors forums. Logic and facts have no place here.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
this means Apple is doomed because there's no way it can grow any more.

As the point person for IT in my office, I'd love to move away from Windows server and PCs. I'm relatively new, but it just seems like you get nickle and dimed for every little thing...

Personally I don't mind using Windows, but you spend so much maintaining the network. Apple could really make something happen in the enterprise environment.

Gregrobb

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
Another opinion

Here's another take... http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/tag/good-technology/

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012

My office was a complete BB implementation just last year. They made the decision to convert to BYOD and settled on Good as the platform to contain enterprise data on a personal device. First the name is perfect - it's not great, just good. Second, employees are allowed to bring whatever device they want.

In my office I see it as about 60-70% apple and the rest is samsung. I don't see any windows phones and the BBs have disappeared. I would say there is about 1-2% that still use feature phones.

So at least in my work, this article seems consistent with my experience. Also since most enterprises are now BYOD, if good is skewed towards apple, it is only because that is what workers are bringing to the office. Although possible, I don't think that offices without Good would have a significantly different experience.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Fortune 500? Good mobility platform? Totally focusing on the US market, then. iPhone's market share in the US is around 50%, while only around 12% worldwide.

OGDK

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2014
Darn, I was hoping Microsoft's 1337 g4ming Surface tablet would be on the chart to laugh at.

Tech guy

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2014
They are thebest for the blind with voice over I know a few blind people with Apple devices

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Nonsense. Everyone knows the RIM owns this space. I mean Blackberry.

OWNED. Past tense.

They may still have a large marketshare but it's quickly going to fade. Outdated hardware, inability to keep up with the times, and no real advantage to having a BES anymore when there are plenty of iOS enterprise management tools on the market...why bother with Blackberry anymore? They sat there twiddling their thumbs thinking Apple would never contribute anything significant enough to the market to compete with them, and now they're reaping the consequences. They're so desperate that now they're even letting you manage iOS/Android with BES.

My company has/had around 100 of them, because at the time it was the best solution. Now, our BES is all but gone. Once we complete the iPhone rollout we're currently working on, Blackberry will be a thing of the past at my organization.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.