Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

National Geographic Channel show Diggers last year unearthed a time capsule containing a piece of Steve Jobs memorabilia that's been buried for 30 years. A video obtained by CNET shows the excavation and opening of this renowned canister.

The_Steve-Jobs-Lisa-mouse.jpg
(Credit: Mike Durkin)
The time capsule, known as the "Aspen Time Tube", was buried in 1983 by the organizers of the International Design Conference. Steve Jobs gave a famous talk at the event and donated the Lisa mouse that he used for the presentation. That mouse, along with other articles were placed in a 13-foot tube and buried in an Aspen field.

Organizers planned to dig up the cylinder in 2000, but they couldn't find it after a major landscaping project altered the layout of the area. With help from National Geographic and Diggers, the time capsule finally was located last September and brought to the surface. Inside the tube was the Lisa mouse still in its original bag and in excellent condition. Also included in the tube was a script from NBC's Hill Street Blues TV show, a Rubik's cube, and a Kodak Instamatic camera.

Article Link: Video Shows Discovery of Steve Jobs' Lisa Mouse Inside 30-Year-Old Aspen Time Tube

foggydavid

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
what a shame

I think it's a shame it's been dug up. Surely a time capsule should be left for at least 100 years?

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Now that it's been unearthed, I think they should either put it in the Smithsonian or back in another time capsule to be dug up in another 30 years. It would be amazing to compare this to what ever kind of pointing device is used in 30 years.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Interesting how the items relate: The mouse is still with us (with optics and better electronics). But the mouse was for the Lisa. The Lisa desktop begat Mac OS desktop. Mac OS begat iOS. Then Kodak went bankrupt, and most consumer cameras are iPhones, or a device very much like it.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Now that it's been unearthed, I think they should either put it in the Smithsonian or back in another time capsule to be dug up in another 30 years. It would be amazing to compare this to what ever kind of pointing device is used in 30 years.

For many of us that pointing device is the one we have with us at all times. The finger. (Think iPad).

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
This is silly.

I am sure there are plenty of posters here with stuff in their drawers that is 30 years old.

thirty years?

Big whooppee to do

Hell, I bet there is more than one nerd on here with "drawers" over 30 years old.

michaelant

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
only 30 years..?

30 years is not nearly long enough to wait before digging up a time capsule. 100 years might be too long, but at least wait 50 or 60, right? :confused:

I wonder who gave permission for the capsule to be unearthed. Seems like if historians were involved they would have waited longer; instead a TV show kinda wasted a cool opportunity here.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
For many of us that pointing device is the one we have with us at all times. The finger. (Think iPad).

True. The desktop as we know it will be a thing of the past (our present) in 30 years. The mouse may not even exist by then.

----------

30 years is not nearly long enough to wait before digging up a time capsule. 100 years might be too long, but at least wait 50 or 60, right? :confused:

I wonder who gave permission for the capsule to be unearthed. Seems like if historians were involved they would have waited longer; instead a TV show kinda wasted a cool opportunity here.

The op does say that they were originally going to dig it up back in 2000, 14 years ago, making it only 17 years after it was buried.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Wow a 30-year old mouse and they treat it like its some sort of ancient sacred artifact. Most pre-mature time capsule dig up ever. Don't even wake me up if its under 50 years!

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Im hoping there was more than that inside a 13 foot tube.

Here is your answer:

include (ɪnˈkluːd)

1. to have as contents or part of the contents; be made up of or contain
2. to add as part of something else; put in as part of a set, group, or category
3. to contain as a secondary or minor ingredient or element

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
I find this over-the-top enthusiasm these types of shows show a complete turnoff. People like that are incredibly annoying in real-life, why would I want to watch them on TV?

JetTester

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2014
I think if Steve Jobs was the visionary that the pundits give him credit for, they would have found an iWatch when they opened it up. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.