Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Oh, well, if an analyst at J.P. Morgan says it, then it's much less stupid... :rolleyes:

J.P. Morgan just settled a case with the Gov for $13 BILLION. In spite of that, the board then gave their CEO a 74% raise. You guys poke all the fun you want at the stupidity of analysts but their companies rule the world.

A few years ago, the core group of them ran the whole financial machine right to the edge of a cliff, got "our" government to immediately find $700 BILLION to bail them out and, that same year, paid themselves record bonuses. How many were prosecuted?

Remember what had them at the brink of collapse- that so-called "worthless paper" (insurance on bad mortgages) that many argued might be worth 10 cents on the dollar at best. What happened to all that paper? Apparently, the FED is using your tax dollars to buy that "worthless" paper to clean up the banker's books. Do you think the FED is paying more or less than 10 cents on the dollar? Do you think the FED is paying 100 cents on the dollar?

Lastly, remember "too big to fail"? That was the reason they had to be bailed out by the U.S. taxpayer (really by "our" government adding a huge loan onto the already-crushing debt). So naturally, once the bail out was successful, all those big banks that were too big were broken up right? Were any of the "too big" broken up?

Again, "stupid analysts" being stupid all the way to the bank.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
One word: Never.

It might not happen this year. But in 2015 smartphones will be powerful enough to replace today's ultrabooks and notebooks and it's only logical that people will want to use a device that can scale over different form factors.

That was Canonical's original vision for Ubuntu Touch and the Ubuntu Edge phone. Devices like this WILL come, and you will want to have one, too.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
A lot of people in this thread seem confused about the article. They are not saying it will be windows surface/8 design. Or an iPad that runs OS X. They are saying that one device can operate as both OS X and iOS.

As in, a macbook pro that has a removable screen that can double as an iPad. Which, personally, I would absolutely want.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
A lot of people in this thread seem confused about the article. They are not saying it will be windows surface/8 design. Or an iPad that runs OS X. They are saying that one device can operate as both OS X and iOS.

As in, a macbook pro that has a removable screen that can double as an iPad. Which, personally, I would absolutely want.

iPad Pro.

;)

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I see the iPad getting its own OS before this happens. Especially if they end up shipping a larger iPad Pro.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
What I predict happening, as Steve Jobs mentioned in an interview a very long time ago and Apple has been working toward, is that iCloud becomes less obvious and just becomes part of the Apple ecosystem. So if I pick up my iPhone I can access any document on my Mac, edit it, and then see the edited version on my Mac. All with no need to save, no different looking interface, etc. But Apple will not require any sort of "docking" for this, thats going backward for them (iTunes wifi sync, iCloud, iTunes Match, etc. etc.).

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
This will happen one day. The analyst is probably right. But it will not come about through any active planning to merge iOS and OS X. It'll be a long time in the future when certain types of hardware are made obsolete and the need for one type of OS is no longer needed. One will supersede the other. And the one that remains will have learnt from the other. Just like now how iOS and OS X both learn from each other (as in features debuted in one make their way to the other in a form suitable for the other).

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Goes against Apple executives reiterating that convergence of iOS and OS X is a "non-goal" for the company.

What if it runs full-blown OSX when docked and acts a regular iOS device when used on its own? This would not be a "convergence" but rather simply a device that essentially boots into two operating systems. The iPhone 5S is already more powerful than my 2010 MBP. I think the time is (almost) ripe for computing on our smart phones. If the A8 will again bring significant CPU and GPU gains, then I think this will very well become reality very soon.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore

True, and you and a few other folks are right, this well may be desirable and possible with mobile processor upgrades a few years from now. Remember those rumors about an ARM MacBook Air? An ARM hybrid device with iOS and Mac OS X "personalities" could theoretically work. Not sure exactly why it'd be desirable versus the current set of options, but so long as they were really distinct "personalities" with just the ability to share files between the "two sides" that would be potentially interesting.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
Apple is not going back to docks. Ever.

On a related note I wonder if that PowerBook Duo in my garage still starts up...

JimmyTW87

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
I see the iPad getting its own OS before this happens. Especially if they end up shipping a larger iPad Pro.

I agree, i think that certain elements that work on a phone don't on a larger tablet, i'm still aghast that they only allow 9 apps per page within folders on an iPad air, so much wasted space and a poor UX.

Any "iPad Pro" would surely amplify this?

I think there is being 'consistent' across devices and then there is just copying and making bigger. The App Store prides itself that there are so many 'tailored for iPad' apps and not just blown up iPhone apps, a feature I love compared to other app stores.

But in terms of the overall iOS7 UI i really don't think it scales brilliantly, I wish they'd differentiate them more between what are essentially products with different audiences, much like owning and iMac vs an iPad is a different experience.

OctagonA

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
Will be fun

It is absolutely impossible to merge a file orientated OS and an application orientated OS. Apple will never allow a file orientated OS on a handheld, that will mean giving users a bit of control. Thus, an iOS version of xCode will be released and OS X will be replaced by iOS on the desktop. With lots of iOS apps optimized for relatively large iPad screen and the small desktop share in Apple business that does not look too risky.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen

That Motorola dock is the dumbest thing I have seen, which is why Google got rid of the company.

Didn't Tim Cook just recently divulge that there is no intent to combine iOS and OS X? Also why try to marry the two in some kind of hybrid system, and for what purpose.

Also Apple very publicly stated that the idea of trying to make a mobile/desktop OS was like trying to combine a toaster with a refrigerator, in other words, Apple sees mobile devices and their Macs as two very separate entities and have no intention to marry the two.

Also just because Apple is supposedly going to push into business with an iPad Pro does not mean that professionals need or want a hybrid system that marries OS x and iOS into one platform, most enterprise users HATE Surface Pro for this very reason, its a crappy implementation of both a mobile OS and a desktop OS.

I think this analyst is out to lunch as he obviously just found out about this company called Apple the other day and has not followed Apple's past and very public condemnation about this kind of scenario.

Xteec

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Australia
It makes me sad that people get paid big bucks to make these "predictions".

The executive team just said the exact opposite of this ************.
Fckn "analysts".

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Just as you can use a TV to accept a stream from an iOS device to make viewing iOS content nicer, you can use your iOS device to stream interaction with your Mac (desktop or laptop)

Kind of like Back to My Mac, or Remote Desktop, or a VM tool, only it would suck less.

You still need to address:
- How do peripherals work?
- bandwidth for the display
- bandwidth
- bandwidth
- bandwidth

If that worked well, I could see never having to carry a laptop around with you. You could use your iOS device as currently works, and if that didn't have the chops to do what you want, you could iAnywhere into a Mac. You'd just carry around an iPad with a keyboard case and a mouse.

That would be consistent with Apple's criticism of Surface and be a niche that wouldn't erode any existing market. If you combine with the rumor of an iPad HD - what better way to get a big screen mac experience on the go.

metfuel

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2002
Not that this is at all the same thing, but it jogged my memory.

Wasn't there a rumor at some point that Apple was going to make it so you load your entire Home folder onto your iPhone, or may have been so old that it was your iPod, and you could sit down at any Mac and you would have your settings. Then when you were done you unplugged and none of your personal stuff was left behind on the computer that wasn't your machine?

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
This reminds me of the old "Home on iPod" thing - home on iOS/iCloud so all your info is everywhere. Kind of a souped up iCloud.

That said, I'll believe it when I see it.

----------

Not that this is at all the same thing, but it jogged my memory.

Wasn't there a rumor at some point that Apple was going to make it so you load your entire Home folder onto your iPhone, or may have been so old that it was your iPod, and you could sit down at any Mac and you would have your settings. Then when you were done you unplugged and none of your personal stuff was left behind on the computer that wasn't your machine?

Yes, we must've been typing at the same time - it was "Home on iPod".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.