Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple continues to add to its team of medical and biosensor experts, with the hiring of Marcelo Lamego, the former chief technology officer of non-invasive patient monitoring company Cercacor. Lamego's recent change in employment was spotted by Network World.

marcelo_lamego-linkedin.png
Before joining Apple in January, Lamego spent the previous eight years as the CTO of Cercacor working on sensor-based medical technologies like those used in the Pronto-7, a portable, non-invasive device which measures hemoglobin, oxygen saturation, pulse rate and more. The Pronto-7 is sold by pulse oximetry company Masimo, from which Cercacor was spun off in the late 1990s.

Lamego worked on the Rainbow SET Technology platform used in the Pronto-7 during his time as a research scientist at Masimo, continuing that work after moving to Cercacor. Rainbow SET is described by Masimo as "a noninvasive monitoring platform enabling the assessment of multiple blood constituents and physiologic parameters that previously required invasive or complicated procedures."

pronto7.jpg
(Credit:Masimo)
It is not clear what position Lamego holds at Apple, but he is one of many recent biomedical and sensor research scientists who are now employed by Apple. These new hires allegedly were recruited to join Apple's iWatch team, which according to MobiHealthnews, has grown to include 200 employees. Lamego isn't the first Apple hire to come from Masimo either. Last year, Apple also added Michael O'Reilly, M.D., former Chief Medical Officer and EVP of Medical Affairs at Masimo, to its ranks.

Network World's report also highlights several other health-related experts who are either confirmed or speculated to be working for Apple, including biosensor algorithm architect Nima Ferdosi from Vital Connect. Ferdosi's hiring late last year came around the same time that Apple hired Ravi Narasimhan from the same company. A third Vital Connect employee, biomedical engineer Alexander Chan, is alsp speculated to have joined Apple, although his LinkedIn profile lists his employer only as "technology company" in the Bay Area.

Several other health-related companies were reported to have lost employees to Apple last year, including AccuVein and C8 Medisensors. Network World has identified AccuVein engineer Yuming Liu as one of those employees and speculates that C8's Stephen Waydo may be another.

Details on the iWatch are still elusive, with contradicting reports on the features that'll make it into the launch version of the device. 9to5Mac stands behind its original report that the iWatch will be able to sense hydration and glucose levels, while MobiHealthNews claims the device will drop these advanced functions and focus on basic health parameters like exercise, diet, stress and medication scheduling.

Article Link: Apple's Biometrics Team Continues to Grow Amid iWatch Rumors

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
The health-related stuff is probably the coolest development in tech lately, in my opinion. It's really refreshing and cool, at least for me.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Seems like Apple is doing what it does best. Figure out what people wants and needs than provide it. Unlike other companies, look we are first, we have a watch that doesn't do much yet. But it will as soon as Apple shows us.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I don't see this coming to life before 2015/2016.

2014:
- iPhone Air
- redesigned MacMini
- new MacBook category
- new iPad Air
- new Thunderbolt Displays
- iOS 8
- new OSX
- Apple TV announcement

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Not wearing a grey shirt in front of a white background, eh Marcelo Lamego? Well, you will be… mark my words, you will be!

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
at this points, it kinda confirms iOS 8 features will focus on health & biometric.

Smoothies

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014

2014:
- iPhone Air
- redesigned MacMini
- new MacBook category
- new iPad Air
- iOS 8
- new OSX
- Apple TV announcement

I hope iPhone air is a joke. If you think Apple will name it that, you are dead wrong. iPhone must retain it's current naming scheme, because you can't say 'iPhone Air 2' it's too long and doesn't make sense. iPhone cannot lose it's numbering either, it is the one device which has to retain numbering because people will be confused as to which device is the new one.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Did you find this on ESPN? That "in" on the top right of the picture looks a lot more like ESPN insider than it does linkedin. :)

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Imagine the targeted advertising Google could pump your way if they had this type of access to all your detailed personal health information. :eek:

----------

2014:
- iPhone Air
- redesigned MacMini
- new MacBook category
- new iPad Air
- iOS 8
- new OSX
- Apple TV announcement

Cook seemed pretty clear about "new product categories" in 2014. I wouldn't consider anything you listed as a new product category.

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I really hope the iWatch isn't another fitness track...or at least...isn't ONLY a fitness tracker. I'm hoping for something similar to the Samsung Gear or the Pebble.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I really hope the iWatch isn't another fitness track...or at least...isn't ONLY a fitness tracker. I'm hoping for something similar to the Samsung Gear or the Pebble.

My guess is that it'll do everything that every existing wrist-worn device currently does in a more elegant fashion + a few other features and health readings that nobody currently does.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Ouch. Think of the names as a kid. Lame go.

Lol, but now he works at Apple. Not so lame go anymore.

Knowing that he is Brazilian I would say that his family name (Lamego) comes from the Portuguese city of Lamego, which, according to Wikipedia (as it is common in Portuguese cities names) comes from Lamaecus, a Roman-Hispanic derivative that indicates the possessor of agrarian titles in the 3rd century around the local castle.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I'm very interesting in all this technology and hoping to see at least some of it materialise in iOS8 - the only trouble is, like many others I guess, I already have a watch that I'm very happy with and wouldn't take to wearing an Apple one instead - I'm hoping that Apple will also provide a means of using these tools for people who don't want to commit to wearing an iWatch.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Even if it the technology isn't used in the rumored iWatch, we will likely see some bits of it being added to the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPod Nano (see also: Nike+, BT heart rate monitors). Even if not for direct features, there could be some standardized APIs and developer hooks made specifically for health-related App and device makers (what those would look like exactly, I can't say).

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

I'd be willing to bet a lot that you'll be "disappointed" if you expect the iWatchU to be similar to the Samsung Gear!

It looks like it's going to be in the vein of a health monitoring device, but to a much deeper level and previous devices. It might be "only" a fitness tracker, but not like any one you've seen before.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I hope iPhone air is a joke. If you think Apple will name it that, you are dead wrong. iPhone must retain it's current naming scheme, because you can't say 'iPhone Air 2' it's too long and doesn't make sense. iPhone cannot lose it's numbering either, it is the one device which has to retain numbering because people will be confused as to which device is the new one.

First off, we had iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3rd Gen., iPad 4th Gen., iPad Air

The "Air" came out of nowhere.

The reason why I think iPhone Air makes sense is that do not want to play this numbers game forever. If you think they're going to continue with this (iPhone 11, iPhone 14...etc...) then you're wrong.

They don't use numbers for the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacMini, Mac Pro, iMac, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, and I think you can also add iPad Air to that list.

Kid Vorpal

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
I think this device is going to be pretty interesting, regardless of what form it eventually takes. Each new bit about these hires just makes the entire thing more and more intriguing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.