Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
I tried cleaning my new iMac with Monster ScreenClean + microfiber cloth, and now there are ugly streaks all over the screen. Anyone have any ideas to get rid of the streaks? Thanks!

iWaiting

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
as per the people that do know about these things them that made it

damp micro fiber cloth ( h2o distilled if poss ) then wipe dry with a dry one,

no need for anything else do not try to make things complicated

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Some people have reported that using the cloth that comes with the iMac will remove those streaks you talk about. But it won't be easy, it will take some elbow grease to get it clean again.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I tried cleaning my new iMac with Monster ScreenClean + microfiber cloth, and now there are ugly streaks all over the screen. Anyone have any ideas to get rid of the streaks? Thanks!

use white vinegar. It is miracle formula! never leaves streaks.

I have a cintiq and i made it all streaky with glass cleaner and was terrified. Used white vinegar and factory fresh looking. Natural product, great at cleaning and doesn't leave an oder.

white vinegar is extremely cheap to buy also.

I use it on everything now. It is a permanent member on my desk haha

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010

I've used this cleaner many times in the past and ones similar to it (used to sell TVs for Circuit City back in college and we had to push this stuff like it was gods gift to humanity!)

The secret with this is to buff it nicely with a clean, debris free, micro fiber towel. A little goes a long way with the Monster Screen Cleaner. So once you dampen the cloth with the cleaner and work it all over the display in an all horizontal motion or all vertical motion (or both!), go over again 2 or 3 more times with a dry portion of the cloth. The last time you go over it, do it in a circular motion and really buff out any of those streaks or residue leftover.

As we all know, never use paper products or harsh chemicals. Also always use a clean cloth that has no debris on it.

Also, it isn't really any sort of chemicals as mentioned by someone else. The solution consists of water and soap. The label makes it sound even fancier:

"Deionized water and proprietary polymers"

snugja

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
as per the people that do know about these things them that made it

damp micro fiber cloth ( h2o distilled if poss ) then wipe dry with a dry one,

no need for anything else do not try to make things complicated

Yep. I use a cloth a bought from radtech way back in 2004. Works like a charm. Damp microfiber is all I need.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
-Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) any dollar store will have.
-Mix 50/50 with water
-Good clean fiber cloth

I've using this method on comps (matte,glossy ect)...tv's ect...works like perfection.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I had streaks on my display BUT under the glass.

I thought it was dust or dirt but turns out it wasn't.

Took my 2010 iMac into apple to replace the HD and the genius said that the problem was moisture under the LCD and it has to be replaced.

Thankfully I have apple care and the £569 bill is covered for repairs but he asked me where I used it and if it was damp or smokey and the truth is I don't smoke and it was in my room so it's a mystery.

It had been like that for as long as I remember and it was only because of the HD replacement I even mentioned it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Stay on topic and if you're not interested in providing help to the OP, then move on and don't post anything

Birkovic

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
So... I seem to have ended up in the exact same position as the OP. Did anyone try that thing with vinegar. Im about to do that now, however I feel I have already done enough damage to my screen so Im quite reluctant to do anything at all to it...

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
So... I seem to have ended up in the exact same position as the OP. Did anyone try that thing with vinegar. Im about to do that now, however I feel I have already done enough damage to my screen so Im quite reluctant to do anything at all to it...

I use white vinegar 50/50 with water about once a month on my iMac. That with a microfibre towel in soft circles gets it back to factory fresh each time. Relax, white vinegar is natural and diluted in water even more natural haha.

People recommend putting the solution into a spray bottle so you can get a nice even spread. I don't have one so I just soak the microfibre towel with it then wash.

edit: I am sure tom's solution would work just as well. Both the alcohol (tom's way) and my way with the vinegar will dissolve very quickly leaving no odour.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
OMGGG!!!!!! white vinegar? alcohol? whats wrong with you guys?!! Never ever ever use anything like that on your screen, especially vinegar, its acidic and can eat away at material over time..Come on guys use your head...op do not listen to any of these methods....im quite compulsive over my screens and clean them every day, so ive become quite a professional screen cleaner lol, all you need is a couple micro fiber cloths, one slightly damp with water, SLIGHTLY, LIKE BARELY ANY WATER...and another dry one...wipe with the damp one first and wife off with the dry one after...thats it...anyone spraying their mulitple thousand dollar computer system with alcohol and vinegar is a total moron imho, and please stop telling other people to do the same JESUS!!

OMGGG!!!!!! white vinegar? alcohol? whats wrong with you guys?!! Never ever ever use anything like that on your screen, especially vinegar, its acidic and can eat away at material over time..Come on guys use your head...op do not listen to any of these methods....im quite compulsive over my screens and clean them every day, so ive become quite a professional screen cleaner lol, all you need is a couple micro fiber cloths, one slightly damp with water, SLIGHTLY, LIKE BARELY ANY WATER...and another dry one...wipe with the damp one first and wife off with the dry one after...thats it...anyone spraying their mulitple thousand dollar computer system with alcohol and vinegar is a total moron imho, and please stop telling other people to do the same JESUS!!
This, to clean the "streaks". VG advice that the OP would be wise to heed! Also, don't be temped to use paper towels which can cause minor scratches.

By the by, once a monitor is clean, I don't bother wiping mine every day. Not even every month. When I do, I just use an anti-static microfibre cloth. I don't even need to slightly dampen it, nor apply any pressure. A process hassle-free. :)

Last edited:

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
The late 2102 iMac's screen isn't just glass. It has metallic anti-reflective coatings. There is more than one coating. Apple doesn't say how many there are, but with two layers, the combined thickness would be less than 300 nanometers. The average thickness of a coating would be about 140 nm, or approximately the thickness of 1400 atoms. These coatings are fairly hard, but still subject to scratching or abrading.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
By the by, once a monitor is clean, I don't bother wiping mine every day. Not even every month. When I do, I just use an anti-static microfibre cloth. I don't even need to slightly dampen it, nor apply any pressure. A process hassle-free. :)
^^^^ agreed!
I first cleaned mine with a damp microfibre cloth. Followed by buffing with a dry one. Took some getting rid of streaks. But since then I just wipe now and again with a dry MF cloth!:D

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I'm so glad for this thread as I would like to get two good microfiber cloths to wipe dust from my 2012 iMac computer and I was wondering if this a viable solution, which is that the 1st cloth I would slightly dampened to clean off the dust particles from the screen and the 2nd cloth I would use to polish the screen.

Is the above suggestion to cleaning the dust particles from my iMac screen a good solution and/or does anyone have any other ideas they could think of? Thanks! :)

Also, below are links of microfiber cloths I found from the Apple store and would some appreciate some feedback on them:

http://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.....5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp&.v=1289247647684

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2066ZM/A/moshi-teraglove-ultimate-cleaning-kit

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA252ZM/A/bausch-lomb-home-and-office-cleaning-kit-3-oz

VinnyB

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
SLC, Utah
Thanks Turtlez

Took the risk with a tiny bit of white vinegar and water solution, having tried everything else. Worked perfectly. Now I guess I'll wait to see if the acidity rots this thing. What a moron I am.

Last edited:

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Best way to clean a Mac screen, iPad, iPhone screen is with the following:

Two micro fibre cloths.

Dampen one with just water, and wring out as much water as possible (this is important).

After you have wiped over with the damp cloth, use the dry micro fibre cloth to dry and shine the screen.

Using the above cleans the screen very well and there is no need for to use expensive and sometime harmful cleaning products.

You will be surprised how clean and shiny you will get your screen with just using the above.

Never use vinegar or iso prop alcohol because screens have coatings on them, and there is a risk that using these chemicals can damage these coatings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.