Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Basis, the company behind the Basis Health fitness tracker, has put itself up for purchase and has discussed the possibility of a buyout with tech companies including Apple, Google, Samsung, and Microsoft, reports TechCrunch.

basis_fitness-tracker.jpg
Basis Health Tracker 2014 Edition​
The price we've heard for any possible activity is "sub-hundred million" which could mean a small return for investors like Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund and Intel Capital, who have poured over $30 million into the company.
While it is unknown as to how much interest Apple has in purchasing the San Francisco-based company, an acquisition would make sense. Recent reports have suggested that the iWatch will include optical sensors to measure physical functions, and Basis' experience in developing advanced fitness tracking products would make them a natural fit as Apple looks to integrate more health-centric technology into its smart watch product.

Furthermore, Basis' most recent tracker includes the ability to monitor health-related metrics such such as heart rate, sleep activity, movement, perspiration levels, and skin temperature, which is similar to what past reports have indicated as tracking features for the iWatch. Apple is also said to be developing a "Healthbook" app for iOS 8 which could also be bolstered by the technologies currently found in Basis' products.

Over the past few months, Apple has also hired a number of health experts in fields related to heart rate monitoring and fitness tracking. Two executives from pulse-oximetry company Masimo joined Apple, which includes its former Chief Medical Officer. Other health-related hires have also been from C8 MediSensors, a company that develops non-invasive blood monitoring sensors.

Overall, details on the iWatch have been mostly limited, but more information is likely to be revealed as the product's release grows closer. It is unknown when Apple plans to launch the iWatch, but a fall release date alongside iOS 8 and a next-generation iPhone is likely.

Article Link: Apple Among Tech Companies Interested in Acquiring Health Tracker Maker Basis

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
A few good reasons to Apple should buy for iWatch:

1. Get the product into the market faster!
2. Use existing and proven technologies.
3. Get experienced talent.
4. Gain instant experience
5. Block others with obtained IP.

A few good reasons Samsung should have waited for Apple.

1. Enter existing market.
2. Use existing and proven technologies.
3. No need for experience or talent
4. Gain instant experience
5. IP doesn't matter.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
The price we've heard for any possible activity is "sub-hundred million" which could mean a small return for investors like Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund and Intel Capital, who have poured over $30 million into the company.

I'm guessing this purchase could help accelerate their iwatch development. I mean Apple could have a team to start from scratch, but I think its a good business sense to buy from a small and establish company to start.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I still want to know why there's an interest in health features all of a sudden. I have my theory, but I still would like to know.

Smoothies

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
Hard to see when this iWatch is coming then; what stage of development they're at.

Doesn't anyone read the entire article? Any iWatch article MacRumors posts? Every single one of them since 9to5mac reported on it, states there is an expected 'Healthbook' app set for iOS 8. iOS 8 has a 100% chance of being released this year, thus there is an app specifically designed for cataloging iWatch data set to be released in iOS 8, this year (granted nothing is set in stone). That said, the iWatch (or whatever it will be called) is highly likely set to be released this year.

----------

I still want to know why there's an interest in health features all of a sudden. I have my theory, but I still would like to know.

Because it is the future? Why was there the sudden interest in a larger screen when Apple released the iPad? The future is health being monitored constantly, and it will save lives. I don't see the unintelligible aspect of this...

yukio

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
i'm a basis b1 customer now. been wearing it nearly 24/7 for a year.

it's a good product, but needs the type of capital and ficus that apple can give.

basis currently does not give you access to your own raw data. there have been somme hacks to let you get at it, but it always comes back to basis not thinking that their customers want or need the metrics.

ironically enough, basis have been pro-android at the expense of iOS customers for quite awhile. someone at basis determined that it was easier/smarter to develop multiple versions for the different models in the android ecosystem vs writing once for iOS.

since basis got some more funding they are less arrogant than they were about iOS and apple customers.

Last edited:
Apple is supposed to be just months (maybe six, maybe ten) away from the launch of the iWatch, and if it needs to buy this company to help the iWatch become a reality then it doesn't say much for how far Apple developers have got under their own steam.

It makes me wonder whether Basis realises it is about to be totally eclipsed by what's coming and the venture capitalists want out before the company is overwhelmed. After all, if Apple had wanted the Basis technology surely it would have acquired the company long before now, without waiting for an invitation?

Smoothies

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
Apple is supposed to be just months (maybe six, maybe ten) away from the launch of the iWatch, and if it needs to buy this company to help the iWatch become a reality then it doesn't say much for how far Apple developers have got under their own steam.

It makes me wonder whether Basis realises it is about to be totally eclipsed by what's coming and the venture capitalists want out before the company is overwhelmed. After all, if Apple had wanted the Basis technology surely it would have acquired the company long before now, without waiting for an invitation?

They definitely don't need to buy this company. However, the purchase may help them, and it certainly could be beneficial keeping tech like this away from competitors like Google, etc.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Hard to see when this iWatch is coming then; what stage of development they're at.

Well the first generation "iWatch" doesn't necessarily have to have all the bells and whistles. In fact history suggests that it won't...

1st gen iPhone: No 3G or GPS (cellular triangulation only)
1st gen iPad: No camera; relatively bulky
1st gen iPad mini: No retina display; processor and memory a generation behind.

stanthyman

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2014
They definitely don't need to buy this company. However, the purchase may help them, and it certainly could be beneficial keeping tech like this away from competitors like Google, etc.

Actually, one of the heads of Google's "future projects" research is Astro Teller, co-founder of Body Metrics, a company founded in 1999 that "develops wearable body monitoring systems". So I think the competition on both sides has a fair amount of knowledge.

Last edited:

Smoothies

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
Well the first generation "iWatch" doesn't necessarily have to have all the bells and whistles. In fact history suggests that it won't...

1st gen iPhone: No 3G or GPS (cellular triangulation only)
1st gen iPad: No camera; relatively bulky
1st gen iPad mini: No retina display; processor and memory a generation behind.

Precisely what I've been trying to tell people. Thank you

sohelpme

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
They know Apple is coming for them.

But the headline and article are wrong, and intentionally so because they are turning into hit-whores.

Apple is NOT shopping for smart-watch companies, particularly ones with clumsy implementations.

This is about a company that is shopping itself TO Apple and others. It's basically "we are having trouble with our next round of financing, so please buy us before we become irrelevant in 3 months".

CombatCaptured

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Canada
I hope Apple doesn't take too much, if anything, away from this watch or company.

I don't care for the look of it at all, however I have been looking at watch/fitness trackers and this "press release" and their site sure make it out to be, by far the most advanced out there, I was seconds away from buying it, but luckily checked the Basis Help Forum section first.

For a complete all day "Fitness Tracker", for me it's a 100% FAIL with Resting Heart rate ONLY, not even walking or stairs, must be perfectly still from reports.

This would have a huge negative effect on daily calories burnt, and would effect average HR and any overall health reports.

And my biggest concern with this company is their lack or informing potential buyers, instead of being direct and saying it won't measure HR while exercising Period, they skirt around it.

"While some sensors like heart rate may capture fewer data points during certain types of exercise"

"Basis does not measure minute-by-minute for specific athletic heart rate training or medical uses."

That right there is a huge Red Flag for me.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
While it's fun to think about Apple getting into Watches, TVs and Electric Cars, it's also fun to think about what OS X could be if they'd put those resources into it instead.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
It would me a "killer app" if it could tell people when they develop cancer.

Other than that, it's another kitsch novelty for health freaks and little more.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

As it pertains to the rumored iWatch and similar devices…..just speculating here, but….

--Our need for anything and everything to be digital, from electronics to appliances to the way we read up on things.

--Our obsession for everything to give us instant gratification and/or results when it comes to food, sex, marriage, relationships, careers, medical test results, etc., and our need to know everything under the sun, now!

--A heightened interest by people of all ages, to get more out of life than previous generations ever did, by looking after their health, ie being more fit, and eating more sensibly, and a desire to keep track of progress in that quest.

--Notwithstanding the foregoing, an aging population, with record numbers of obesity, diabetes, and metabolic disorders, as well as an elderly population that needs or desires vital signs monitoring, and quick access to medical help in an emergency.

Apple is crazy like a fox to go after the health monitoring/info market that's about to explode into a multi-billion dollar a year industry.

Last edited:

Fondaparinux

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2013
I really really really really really don't want Health to be the main attraction of iOS 8, or even iWatch.

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
Title of this post should be similar to "Basis is looking for buyout by big Tech companies".

But somewhere in my mind I am feeling bad for guys working at Basis and Pebble. They must be working really hard to make it big but one fine day they realise they are competing against tech-giant like Apple and definitely have very little chance of survival in competition.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I don't wear a watch.

What if it's just an iPatch that you can stick anywhere, and all of the health information comes out on your iPhone/iPad/Mac? It could even cattleprod you when you get a message, or you could put it in "the right place" and really improve your well-being.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

It's another avenue for tech- I don't think I would find an "iWatch" particularly useful just as a "lite" smartphone on my wrist, but if it has sophisticated health monitoring features it becomes a lot more interesting- even just for the novelty.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Apple will almost certainly release some kind of wearable tech this year, but it won't be a watch, it won't look like a watch, and it won't be called the iWatch.

For more evidence of this, just take a good look at the clunky tech pictured here. No way Apple will want to be associated with this sort of junk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.