Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Chief of Worldwide Marketing, Phil Schiller, will be among the witnesses that both Apple and Samsung lawyers plan to call to the stand when the two companies return to court in March, reports PCWorld. The second trial will cover newer products that were not able to be included in the first jury trial.

Phil Schiller was first called as a witness during the initial patent dispute between Samsung and Apple in 2012, and again in a damages retrial that took place in November of 2013. Schiller told the jury Samsung made it "much harder" for Apple to market and sell its devices. Samsung made it "harder for us to get new customers and bring them into our ecosystem," he said.

apple_samsung_logos.jpg
In the second trial, Schiller will be asked to testify on several different aspects of the iPhone, iPad, and iPod, including design, development, and marketing.
"Mr. Schiller will be called to testify regarding design, development, promotion, marketing, advertising, consumer demand for, and sales of the iPhone, iPad, iPod, and other Apple products, including the features accused of infringing the Samsung feature patents, the smartphone and tablet markets, the Apple brand and Apple's marketing and advertising efforts," Samsung said in a filing Thursday with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
Samsung also plans to call Hiroshi Lockheimer, VP of engineering at Google, and Todd Pendleton, Samsung's marketing chief for its U.S. telecoms division. As for Apple, along with Schiller, the company expects to call Tony Blevins, VP of procurement; Gregory Christie, VP of human interface; Bruce Watrous, its chief IP lawyer; and possibly Scott Forstall, Apple's former SVP of iOS software.

Following the conclusion of the initial patent dispute that covered older devices from both Samsung and Apple and the subsequent damages retrial to redetermine a portion of the reward, Samsung was ordered to pay Apple $890 million.

This second trial covers newer devices, such as the Galaxy Note, the Galaxy S III, the Galaxy Tab 10.1, the iPhone 4/4s/5, the iPad 2/3/4, and the iPad mini. As with the former trial, both Apple and Samsung are accusing each other of patent infringement, and laid out a list of asserted patents earlier this month.

Apple CEO Tim Cook and Samsung Electronics CEO Oh-Huyn Kwon are scheduled to attend a mediation meeting ahead of the trial, but if an agreement is not reached, the trial will proceed in March.

Article Link: Apple Marketing Chief Phil Schiller to Testify Again in Upcoming Apple vs. Samsung Case

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
I just wish that both Apple and Samsung could be successful in getting the other's phones banned from sale. :)

Good for non-Samsung Android and other mobile OSs, good for the diversity of the mobile ecosystem.

Heltik

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
USA
I just wish that both Apple and Samsung could be successful in getting the other's phones banned from sale. :)

Good for non-Samsung Android and other mobile OSs, good for the diversity of the mobile ecosystem.

It's a shame they don't go after Google as a whole. Taking one of America's greatest technological advantages, stealing it, and making it free for the rest of the world to copy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A69CPXgUXmg)- only need to look at the iClones now being sold in China at a fraction of Apple/Samsung prices to realise this.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Mr. Schiller will be called to testify regarding design, development, promotion, marketing, advertising, consumer demand for, and sales of the iPhone, iPad, iPod, and other Apple products

It will be the thinnest and lightest testimonial ever given.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
It's a shame they don't go after Google as a whole. Taking one of America's greatest technological advantages, stealing it, and making it free for the rest of the world to copy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A69CPXgUXmg)- only need to look at the iClones now being sold in China at a fraction of Apple/Samsung prices to realise this.

something successful gets imitated - like this hasnt been done before.

apple wasnt the first to make desktop computers. should they have been gone after because they were stealing the idea?

jjemin

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul, Korea
Expected testimony

"Can't COPY anymore my ass"

- Phil Schiller, Northern District of California, 2014

just for fun no offense:D

I'm a fan of both Apple and Samsung I also joke about Apple sometimes lol

ssd/panels/DRAM from Samsung are great!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Except that Google didn't copy Apple; in fact, Apple copied the four other companies that came before even the Newton to get the UI down for iOS.

Google actually was competing agains Windows Mobile, which also had the main UI elements from Palm, Texas Instruments, Access, Garnet, and one other that I can't think of that all pre-date the Newton (since everyone likes to toss that in like it means something) by 2 years.

If anything, Palm should've sued Apple and Google to begin with, and made WebOS the premiere mobile OS with the first true multitasking and notifications center, which Google took from them, then Apple took from Google . . . . .TWICE!

Heltik

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
USA

apple wasnt the first to make desktop computers. should they have been gone after because they were stealing the idea?

Hardly the same thing. But I guess it goes back to the "look and feel argument".

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013

My current phone is Android because I had to switch services and iPhones were too expensive. One year on, I now take my iPhone with me when on the road in case I get wifi somewhere. Android is just awful. I sure hope they start making some improvements.

Seriously, Apple should license iOS to Samsung and they should kiss, make up (hey it's Valentine's Day), and save money in legal fees.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
My current phone is Android because I had to switch services and iPhones were too expensive. One year on, I now take my iPhone with me when on the road in case I get wifi somewhere. Android is just awful. I sure hope they start making some improvements.

Seriously, Apple should license iOS to Samsung and they should kiss, make up (hey it's Valentine's Day), and save money in legal fees.

Personal opinions aside, there'd be no reason to put iOS on a Samsung device. It's not like iOS will offer something more with a larger screen, and all of the features if a Sammy or HTC device wouldn't work. The Note would end up being a really big iPhone with tacky icons splattered all over the place.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia

What Android phone? I hate all the crap that Samsung adds to their phones. but think that the 'pure Android' on the Nexus phones is great, in many respects far better than iOS.

That will never happen. Apple is a hardware company, in the sense that their profits from from selling expensive hardware with a large profit margin. The software, iOS, excites to supports the iOS ecosystem as a whole.

You said that iPhones were too expensive. The main reason Apple is going after Samsung and other people using Android, is that Apple doesn't want the competition from phones that are less expensive. Apple wants to keep their large profit margins.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Personal opinions aside, there'd be no reason to put iOS on a Samsung device. It's not like iOS will offer something more with a larger screen, and all of the features if a Sammy or HTC device wouldn't work. The Note would end up being a really big iPhone with tacky icons splattered all over the place.

So an iPad offers no more possibilities than an iPhone?

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan

Apple wasnt the first to make desktop computers. should they have been gone after because they were stealing the idea?

Did you really bother to take the time to type out that old line again?

----------

One year on, I now take my iPhone with me when on the road in case I get wifi somewhere. Android is just awful.

You prefer an old iPhone to a new Android that you carry all the time. Now that is a testimonial!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
So an iPad offers no more possibilities than an iPhone?

I don't never mentioned iPads and alluded to putting iOS on Android devices.

Taking it in context, what "possibilities" will iOS on an Android handset offer? Or what "possibilities" will a larger iPhone offer other than just having a bigger screen?

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I don't never mentioned iPads and alluded to putting iOS on Android devices.

Taking it in context, what "possibilities" will iOS on an Android handset offer? Or what "possibilities" will a larger iPhone offer other than just having a bigger screen?

Larger Screen estate can come in handy for several different applications. Simplest example in my case: "A game like Angry Birds" - I have fat fingers - I hated it on the iphone after playing it on the ipad mini. Another case: The larger a screen is, the more fun it seems - to me.

Why do you think that there obviously is a demand for larger screens? To enjoy a home screen with different things or to enjoy the apps themselves on a larger screen?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Larger Screen estate can come in handy for several different applications. Simplest example in my case: "A game like Angry Birds" - I have fat fingers - I hated it on the iphone after playing it on the ipad mini. Another case: The larger a screen is, the more fun it seems - to me.

Why do you think that there obviously is a demand for larger screens? To enjoy a home screen with different things or to enjoy the apps themselves on a larger screen?

Trust me, I'd LOVE to have a larger screen in the iPhone realm. I just don't think Apple will do it for some reason. I've come to terms with the counter argument I hear from time to time, and that's the whole, "how does it benefit the user outside of having a larger screen?"

I personally would hope Apple would add some functionality to it outside of it being larger, but in the end, I'd still welcome a larger screen.

p.s. and a way to hide the endless pages of icons.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
I TOTALLY agree with you! It was a $80 budget Android phone on sale. The phone itself operates fine but it is the Android OS that is killing me. If there had been a low end iPhone for even $200 on my new carrier, I would stretched my wallet for it, but $450+ was impossible.

You make the statement of profit margins and in theory you are right. What happened to iPod (classic) sales when the Mini/Nano/Shuffle came out? They SOARED!! You get a Nexus/Galaxy owner buying an iPhone Nano for his mom, sees how cool it is, then buys an iPhone 7 when it's time to upgrade.

The Mini/Nano/Shuffle were a halo for the iPod that was a halo for the Mac. Based on the "higher margins" theory, Apple never would have made an iPad because the margins are lower than the MBA...

What Android phone? I hate all the crap that Samsung adds to their phones. but think that the 'pure Android' on the Nexus phones is great, in many respects far better than iOS.

That will never happen. Apple is a hardware company, in the sense that their profits from from selling expensive hardware with a large profit margin. The software, iOS, excites to supports the iOS ecosystem as a whole.

You said that iPhones were too expensive. The main reason Apple is going after Samsung and other people using Android, is that Apple doesn't want the competition from phones that are less expensive. Apple wants to keep their large profit margins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.