Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
You don't actually believe that Hammond actually rolled his car, do you?
The point is, that was possible, even probable. It at least doesn't ruin the imaginative spirit of their production.

The cars, despite the wheel spin, were likely anemic and boring uphill. What did he say early on 90ish hp? Downhill would be more fun.

And the camera was a static one, like they use regularly. E.g. Stig lap follow through at tires camera?

Why not just point out the show has always been staged, scripted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
The point is, that was possible, even probable. It at least doesn't ruin the imaginative spirit of their production.

But it's not though. It was staged. We all know that.

It's not like when Hammond swan dived his Bowler during the Top Gear Germany Versus stuff.

Speaking of, I've been watching some of the older stuff. Like when Sabine Schmitz tries to beat Clarkson's 9:59 Nurburgring lap time in a Transit van. That footage is classic, off-the-cuff stuff.

So do I. Watching again episodes of few years back (e.g. Transfăgărășan) , don't make me laugh at all. I feel everything is scripted and there isn't any improvisation.

I don't know what moment when it was that Top Gear jumped the shark, but I feel that it lost it's magic somewhere around the 10th/11th series.

That sense of spontaneity, of car guys just being car guys, if I were there and a little bit wittier than I am in real life, I would have said the same thing sense. That's gone.

Whether it be the goofy challenges, the cars they were "testing," the silly jokes, etc, the show and its presenters no longer speak to me as just another Regular Joe car guy. Now they just come across as wealthy BBC celebrity personalities who humor the audience instead of being one of them.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
There is the Top Gear I know. Nothing seemed overly forced this time unlike last week.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Can't wait to see that McLaren go around the track. Now that's a hybrid I wouldn't mind owning. Who ever thought 5 years ago a hybrid had a shot at being the fastest car around the TG track?

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Goosebumps watching that McLaren.

Also good to know Top Gear can still produce good material when they put some effort in. Last week we got Clarkson prating around in a supermarket, this week we got gorgeous footage of an Alfa 4C in Italy.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
There is the Top Gear I know. Nothing seemed overly forced this time unlike last week.

I agree. It was more of a car show, than just some light entertainment.

I especially liked the Army clip in Afghanistan. That must be a logistical nightmare.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

What about when Clarkson is on the jet ski alongside Hamster and he didn't realise it could go on water? That was just to staged for me.

----------

I agree. It was more of a car show, than just some light entertainment.

I especially liked the Army clip in Afghanistan. That must be a logistical nightmare.

Agree the stuff in camp Bastion was very interesting and something I hadn't really thought about before.

----------

Can't wait to see that McLaren go around the track. Now that's a hybrid I wouldn't mind owning. Who ever thought 5 years ago a hybrid had a shot at being the fastest car around the TG track?

Yes it certainly looked interesting. Did I miss them saying how much it was? We were talking about it at work and nobody had a clue.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
What about when Clarkson is on the jet ski alongside Hamster and he didn't realise it could go on water? That was just to staged for me.

----------

Agree the stuff in camp Bastion was very interesting and something I hadn't really thought about before.

----------

Yes it certainly looked interesting. Did I miss them saying how much it was? We were talking about it at work and nobody had a clue.

I thought I remember them saying £800,000 :eek:

Anyone know what a kidney goes for on the black market?

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

Of course that was staged. Top Gear usually has those moments for the sake of entertaining the audience. That is fine with me.

Unlike the first episode where Clarkson was crashing into everything and Hammond kept on rolling the car. Or they somehow survived a bomb or James thinking Hammond stopped pursuing him in the tank to only get shot by the tanks gun..... Teens are idiots, but I am sure they could figure out what a tank is doing...... That wasn't organic..... Where Hammond not knowing the quad could turn into a jet ski was organic. It didn't seem out of place or forced.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I didn't quite like hot hatch challenge. Most of the challenges seemed like blah. Not until the Chernobyl challenge did it seem like a Top Gear challenge.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My 18 year old son and his friends watch this show like they were watching playoff sports or something like that. they are so into it. But I just don't get it? It seems funny sometimes…like the celebrity race time challenges. But i just don't get it…...

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Wow, episode 5 was great. the last four were so boring in comparison. can't wait for the special next week.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
This week's episode has been cancelled as Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended from the BBC! :eek:

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I wonder if this could turn into a power struggle between JC and the BBC.

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised. I think JC and Andy Wilman own the rights to Top Gear - if so they have a strong hand in negotiations and could take the show to another channel. I'm sure Rupert Murdoch would snaffle it up for Sky for example - as JC is already employed by News Corp....

Edit: JC and AW sold the rights to BBC Worldwide in 2012, so Clarkson could very well be kicked out if they wanted to :-/

Last edited:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
The news here is saying that the next two have been cancelled and possibly even the third bring as that would be the last in the season.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.