Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung's upcoming flagship device, the Galaxy S5, will indeed ship with a fingerprint sensor, reports Samsung-focused blog SamMobile. Contrary to earlier reports which hinted at a fingerprint sensor embedded into the display, however, this latest report claims the Galaxy S5 will adopt Apple's model by integrating the sensor into the home button.

galaxy-s5-render.jpg
Samsung Galaxy S5 render with Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S3 from Move Player
Samsung's fingerprint sensor reportedly is activated using a swiping motion that scans the finger from base to tip, which differs from Apple's motionless scan.
The sensor itself works in a swipe manner, which means that you would need to swipe the entire pad of your finger, from base to tip, across the home key to register your fingerprint properly. Also, you would need to keep your finger flat against the home key and swipe at a moderate speed or else it won't recognise your fingerprint. The fingerprint sensor is sensitive to moisture, as well.
Samsung supposedly has added support for the scanning technology to various parts of the operating system, enabling users to secure files, widgets and apps using the scanning technology. Similar to iOS 7, Samsung will allow users to store multiple fingerprint scans on a phone or tablet and use them to unlock the device.

The Galaxy S5 is rumored to include a 5.2-inch display with a higher resolution screen than the current Galaxy S4, which is equipped with a 5-inch, 1080 x 1920 pixel display. The S5 also will feature an improved camera, better battery life and a lower price point. It likely will be unveiled alongside a new Galaxy Gear smart watch at Samsung's Unpacked 2014 event, which will be held during Mobile World Congress 2014 later this month.

Article Link: Samsung Galaxy S5 to Include Home Button with Integrated Fingerprint Sensor

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Everybody copies...I'm just looking forward to all the wonderful phones that will be coming out this year. It's my year to upgrade. :D

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Also, you would need to keep your finger flat against the home key and swipe at a moderate speed or else it won't recognise your fingerprint.

Sounds like they are borrowing from 10+year old IBM tech. Think I had something like that in a pentium Thinkpad.

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
It's about the execution, but too little people get that.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Why would you increase the resolution beyond where it is at? Should offer no visible difference and will slow down the phone.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
It could actually work pretty nicely that way if you slid your finger from left to right, in the same motion to unlock your phone. So basically you go to swipe the words "Swipe to Unlock" and it scans your fingerprint too. Let's wait and see what they actually do before we all say its a gimmick like most Samsung features. :D

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Meh,
This implementation would make unlocking the phone slower than iPhone 5s.
That and it's still a samsung. Worst costumer support imo.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Samsung's shameless copying has gone from funny, to shake your head, to shrug, to ignore it, and back to funny.

Samsung and their customers: Beyond Embarrassment, Beyond Shame

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Sounds like they are borrowing from 10+year old IBM tech. Think I had something like that in a pentium Thinkpad.

Yeah, my friend had one of those. It never worked - my understanding is this type of fingerprint scanner is fundamentally flawed by requiring the user to be too precise in the way they move their finger.

I'm forecasting Samsung botches this badly enough to severely impact their sales this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.