Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
A friend of mine updated his iPhone (4.2.1 I think), and all his photos and contacts are lost.

He entered all the contacts and the pictures to his iPhone, I do not think he ever synced before today.

The iTunes does NOT have any of the Synch info boxes checked.

How can he get them back, what should he do??

Thanks!

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Update: Seems most of his stuff is back.

When he first looked at his contacts and photos, nothing, but 10 min later looked again most of it, maybe all, is back. He thinks some contacts are missing, but it looks like all his photos are back.

Does iTunes automatically offload all the photos, contact, everything (including all types of music) before it does updates? I never was in a situation where I had to get things off iSomething, thankfully.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Update: Seems most of his stuff is back.

When he first looked at his contacts and photos, nothing, but 10 min later looked again most of it, maybe all, is back. He thinks some contacts are missing, but it looks like all his photos are back.

Does iTunes automatically offload all the photos, contact, everything (including all types of music) before it does updates? I never was in a situation where I had to get things off iSomething, thankfully.

I believe it backs up the phone before it does an update (sorry, it’s been so long since I’ve updated, I’ve forgot……I’m jailbroke and on 4.0.1).

Tell your friend to sync his damn phone. Not syncing is crazy.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I believe it backs up the phone before it does an update (sorry, it’s been so long since I’ve updated, I’ve forgot……I’m jailbroke and on 4.0.1).

Tell your friend to sync his damn phone. Not syncing is crazy.

Thanks, aggie.

(BTW, my friend it an Aggie as well. :) )

michaelpirretti

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2014
If you sync your iPhone regularly to a computer, you can restore the iPhone from a backup within iTunes and recover deleted contacts and photos that way. This will recover them but obviously requires that you have synced and backed up the device to a computer before the removal incident occurred:
How to recover lost contacts on iPhone
How to recover lost photos on iPhone
• Connect the iPhone to a computer that it has backed up to before
• Launch iTunes and choose “Restore from Backup”
• Select the most recent backup prior to the deletion of the contact(s) and restore to that
Restoring can take a while, so just let it sit. When finished, the iPhone will reboot and you'll have your contacts back again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.