Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GBA4iOS today introduced a 2.0 update for its popular Game Boy emulator for iOS, introducing a full iOS 7 redesign, iPad optimization, support for original and Game Boy Color games, and a built-in web browser for downloading ROMs.

More importantly, the software is now much easier to install, requiring neither a jailbroken device nor a work around to set the device clock to 2012. Prior to the 2.0 update, installing GBA4iOS without jailbreaking required an iPhone's date to be set to 2012. Though it doesn't require an initial date change, GBA4iOS 2.0 does carry a warning that the device clock may need to be set back to 2/19/14 if the app fails to open.

gba4ios.jpg
With GBA4iOS 2.0, gamers can play Game Boy Advanced, Game Boy Color, and original Gameboy ROMs directly on their iPads and iPhones, but the software is only compatible with devices running iOS 7. GBA4iOS 2.0 is distributed using an Apple Enterprise certificate, which are designed to allow companies to distribute iOS apps internally.

Downloading games for GBA4iOS previously required navigating outside of the app to find ROMs, but the newest version includes an in-app web browser that can be used to download games from any ROM website. GBA4iOS 2.0 also includes full support for cheats, accepting five different code formats covering everything from Game Genie to Action Replay.

The GBA4iOS update includes an array of controller skins for Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Color games and it supports third party controller skins. It also offers full iOS 7 controller support, Dropbox integration, and "Event Distribution" to allow GBA4iOS unlock and distribute features that are not normally included within games.

While several emulators have snuck into the App Store via shell apps, they are always short-lived as Apple pulls the apps within hours or days of release. GBA4iOS is able to overcome Apple's restrictions as it is not installed via the App Store. Instead, GBA4iOS can be installed directly on an iOS device from the website, by tapping the download link on an iPad or iPhone.

Update: Apple has revoked the enterprise certificate that GBA4iOS used to install itself on iOS devices, which means installs now require setting a device date back to February 18, 2014 before downloading the software. After installation, the date on the device can be changed back to the present time.

Article Link: GBA4iOS Debuts 2.0 Update for Game Boy Emulator With iPad Support, Easy Installation

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Time to play some Pokemon, one click installation is insane.
One thing I have noticed though is that Dropbox sync doesn't work, it is still registered in developer mode.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
MacRumours, thank you SO MUCH! Downloaded this as soon as I got the notification (cheers Mavericks!) and I'm playing FireRed as I speak.

EDIT: This is seriously ****ing sweet. Seriously, this works a charm and it's so easy to set up. Literally four taps and I'm playing this stuff. Just remember to be patient with the web browser, it does take a little time to load. :)

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I'm curious, how exactly does this get installed from the browser? Wouldn't that be a serious security issue?

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
I was a Beta Tester for this project, (you can find me as Jake Tarrant under the "Beta Testers" tabs).

It's an INSANE emulator, been playing with it for months. It's perfect, and one of the best out there for GBA. If you have any questions feel free to ask me how something works.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I'm curious how they get around the app store restrictions to provide a direct download.

It appears to be signed by "ChinaVDI(Beijing) Technology Co.,Ltd" - so they've borrowed/hijacked someones Enterprise distribution key?

Presumably the "set clock back to before Feb 19, 2014" warning will be needed from some future date when the key expires or Apple cancels it.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I was a Beta Tester for this project, (you can find me as Jake Tarrant under the "Beta Testers" tabs).

It's an INSANE emulator, been playing with it for months. It's perfect, and one of the best out there for GBA. If you have any questions feel free to ask me how something works.

I have a question: may I kiss you on the mouth?

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :D

Last edited:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
MacRumors said:
There are dozens of popular games available, including many varieties of Pokemon, Zelda, Final Fantasy, and more.

In some kind of Nintendo store, right?

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I'm curious how they get around the app store restrictions to provide a direct download.

It appears to be signed by "ChinaVDI(Beijing) Technology Co.,Ltd" - so they've borrowed/hijacked someones Enterprise distribution key?

yeah, I also curious about this. I think they borrowed the distribution key.
don't know if its possible to hijack someone else account.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Does this count as Jailbreaking? Is there a chance of the device getting bricked somehow, and iTunes not being able to restore from backup due to it being considered Jailbroken?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

Why would this be posted in direct violation of forum rules?

GreenFreaK

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
doesn't open

I downloaded it via the link in this article and successfully installed it. But everytime I try to open the app, it crashes immediately. I have an iPhone 5S running 7.0.4 (11B554a).

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I downloaded it via the link in this article and successfully installed it. But everytime I try to open the app, it crashes immediately. I have an iPhone 5S running 7.0.4 (11B554a).

Doesn't work for me either. Won't even launch, it's stuck in a "installing" cycle over and over.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
wooohoooo worked like a charm thx for the heads up. playing pokemon emerald and mario kart as we speak :D

t8rfo6.png

Last edited:

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Nice, Downloaded. Wish they would support more Emu's like this. Works great. The way it gets thrown on the iPad reminds me of being able to jailbreak through download cydia via safari =)

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
I'm getting "unable to download App" when it is trying to download / install. It gets stuck in this weird loop on both my iphone and ipad.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Same here.

Me too... I tried restarting, and reinstalling the app, doesn't help. Any ideas? There's the loading circle, it goes through completely saying "installing" but then it simply collapses back into an empty grid icon.

scwinsett

Suspended
Apr 21, 2010
Denver
I've got a retina iPad mini and an iPhone 5S, both on iOS 7.0.4
I am having no luck with this installation. Just gets stuck in a "installing" cycle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.