Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The land rush on new generic top-level domains (gTLDs) continues this week, and Apple has once again staked its claim to some of new domains being made available to the public. The most relevant new gTLD for Apple is ".technology", and the company has moved to secure several variants related to its products:

- apple.technology
- ipad.technology
- iphone.technology
- mac.technology

macbook_air_iphone_ipad.jpg
This week's group is the just the latest batch involving hundreds of new gTLDs going live. Other recent domains secured by Apple include those in the .guru and .camera and .photography families.

As with the previously released gTLDs, Apple appears to have taken steps to block registration of other potential domains involving its trademarks, including some directly related to its business such as macbook.technology and other less related such as apple.construction.

While many of the new gTLDs coming online focus on industries and professions, another group includes geographic themes, and Apple has also signaled its interest in protecting relevant domains in these families. In what appears to be Apple's first move into this area, the company has registered applestore.berlin, listing the address of the flagship Kurfürstendamm store opened last year on its registration.

Article Link: Apple Registers New '.Technology', 'Applestore.berlin' Domain Names

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
I suppose this is all about circumventing people who will throw any old crap up on a website just to take advantage of a domain name. Apple probably thinks that would cheapen their brand as well, having a few of those out there.

Because otherwise, I can't see them ever actually wanting to use something that long in a URL.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Could anyone explain me what are these domains actually and what is their purpose? I haven't understood about them

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
When will .family be available? I'm quite interested in getting my last name .family, so that my whole family can have email addresses like

first@last.family

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Who would want to type ".technology" or ".photography" as part of the domain name? ".com" is so much nicer!

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Is it possible to access sites that use these new TLDs? Anyone know if there's any way?

They work just like any other domain name. The only difference for now is that you might have to manually type the http:// part depending on your web browser.

Of course if the company who owns the domain hasn't actually pointed it to a working webserver yet it won't load, exactly like "traditional" TLDs.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
They are how the company in charge of domain names makes millions of dollars introducing a product that was never needed.

Exactly. These new names are all pretty much money grabs by the new registrars. I mean do you really want to type in "apple.photography"? Probably not, and "Applestore.berlin". Unless there is a new TLD for every city, will you try "Applestore.Miami", "Applestore.NewYork" and "Applestore.podunk" to check them all? Unlikely, they'll just bing it or google it or just go to apple.com.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
The land rush on new generic top-level domains (gTLDs) continues this week, and Apple has once again staked its claim to some of new domains being made available to the public.
God I hate the MR stories that have poor grammar. I shouldn't have to reread a sentence two or three times just to comprehend the message they're trying to convey.

joelisfar

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
They work just like any other domain name. The only difference for now is that you might have to manually type the http:// part depending on your web browser.

Of course if the company who owns the domain hasn't actually pointed it to a working webserver yet it won't load, exactly like "traditional" TLDs.

Yeah… I've tried this to no avail. Maybe I don't know of a real site that's actually using one.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I suppose this is all about circumventing people who will throw any old crap up on a website just to take advantage of a domain name. Apple probably thinks that would cheapen their brand as well, having a few of those out there.

Because otherwise, I can't see them ever actually wanting to use something that long in a URL.

I don't really see many people wanting to use most of these new TLDs, I'm pretty sure they are mostly to make money by forcing companies to register domains they will never use to protect them from scammers using them to pretend to be the company. I'll be surprised if there are ever many of these sites that don't just redirect to a .com or .org site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.