Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LaCie has launched several new products with Seagate's new 5TB drives, including a new Thunderbolt 5-bay RAID array that puts up to 25 terabytes of storage in one 5-bay unit. LaCie's is using Seagate's new drives featuring 'Shingled Magnetic Recording' technology to push the physical boundaries of magnetic storage.

The new drives are also available in LaCie's d2 Quadra for $350 and the d2 USB3.0 Thunderbolt for $450.
5bigthunderbolt.png
More speed means a leaner workflow. Get 785MB/s* thanks to five 7200rpm/64MB cache hard disks preconfigured in RAID 0. With these speeds, you have all you need for any post-production work. Handle multiple 2K uncompressed 10-bit streams. And with capacities up to 25TB, you have enough storage for today and the future. For example, you could store all your project's raw daily footage onto a single LaCie 5big. Focus on your creative projects without the hassle of managing multiple storage devices.
LaCie says their new RAID is the largest 5-bay storage product on the market, sporting speeds up to 785MB/s. The RAID is available in three configurations, 10TB, 20TB, and 25TB, for $1000, $2000, and $2500 respectively -- Thunderbolt cable included -- from LaCie's website or the Apple Online Store, with the 5TB d2 available for $450 and the 5TB Quadra for $350.

Article Link: LaCie's External Drive Lineup Gains New 5TB Drives From Seagate

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I wonder why they chose Seagate to partner up with.
I consider Lacie to be the highest quality of product, and Seagate to be one of the lowest, so that's a weird mixture.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Id rather fork out for a Drobo 5D and fill it full of WD Red 4tb drives to be honest.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I consider Lacie to be the highest quality of product, and Seagate to be one of the lowest, so that's a weird mixture.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've always bought Seagate HDD and SSD and only had 1 catastrophic failure and maybe 2 DOA. That's out of about 2,200

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
Funny I have 4 or 5 seagate drives with no raid configuration and they're all several years old or older with zero issues.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
This is all fine and dandy, but it seems they all are competing on speed and size and looks. But not a single one tries to make them completely silent. it´s really annoying. Both the current new iMac and the Mac Pro makes pretty much no sound, but it doesnt matter when you need an external storage which is making more noise than the computer.

I´ve bought several Lacie products they are all very noisy, except for the SSD Little big disk Im sure, but that just becomes too small and expensive again.

I wish one of these companies would manage to make a hdd, which could be in a big enough box to room a decent sized silent fan, like computers does....shouldn´t be too difficult. I would be willing to pay a good price for that.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in shingled 5TB drives from Seagate, when there are non-shingled air-filled 5TB drives from Toshiba, and non-shingled helium-filled 6TB drives from HGST.

TheJae

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2008
HKG

Well, as an admin. I can say the brand is not the factor that determines reliability. We have Seagate, WD and Hitachi deployed in various configurations. They all have similar failure rate.

It's a game of luck, whether you got your drive from a defective batch.

We have zero complaints for all 3 brands, they all have great customer services and replacement policies.

Boomhowler

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
Well, as an admin. I can say the brand is not the factor that determines reliability. We have Seagate, WD and Hitachi deployed in various configurations. They all have similar failure rate.

We have zero complaints for all 3 brands, they all have great customer services and replacement policies.

Backblaze shows some other numbers for that. In fact, Seagate seem to be much more unreliable than for example Hitachi. All drives die, it's just a question of when.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Lacie Thunderbolt review

I put my trust to Thunderbolt to get rid of cable salad. I bought a Thunderbolt dock from Belkin along with a LaCie 2big Thunderbolt with 8TB capacity which made way too much noise.

Well, the noise was just a sign of warning. You may bad mouth the Seagate drives, but they are really good. Put them into my Hackintosh to check them for error, but no, they made noise, but they are superfast and reliable. I figured out that the Lacie enclosure is not only unbalanced and feels cheap when you swap disk, but the biggest problem happens when you daisy chain them into your an external monitor. Flickering, distortions and artifacts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnOa1HGjiRw

There also is a problem with wake from hibernation, you will have to unplug the disk, then plug it in again to get them to mount.

Gave them seven months, but I was so tired of trying to fix a problem that never seemed to get solved. Forum posts and comments will confirm the issues.

Avoid at all costs.

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
This is all fine and dandy, but it seems they all are competing on speed and size and looks. But not a single one tries to make them completely silent. it´s really annoying. Both the current new iMac and the Mac Pro makes pretty much no sound, but it doesnt matter when you need an external storage which is making more noise than the computer.

I´ve bought several Lacie products they are all very noisy, except for the SSD Little big disk Im sure, but that just becomes too small and expensive again.

I wish one of these companies would manage to make a hdd, which could be in a big enough box to room a decent sized silent fan, like computers does....shouldn't be too difficult. I would be willing to pay a good price for that.

True, but you're unlikely to see one given the past history of storage.
So the way most deal with this now, is to buy an OPTICAL Thunderbolt cable. While they come in lengths of up to 100m (330ft) which are very expensive, you can still mitigate the problem using a more affordable 10m one and putting the storage in a cupboard or suchlike. If you're buying a reasonably high-priced (self-powered – as optical cables don't carry power like the shorter copper ones) storage device or two (or more), then the cost of such a cable while not cheap isn't too bad, as it solves the problem and you can then buy whatever storage unit you want.

I did this with 2x Pegasus R6's & an 8TB WD Thunderbolt, using a $300 "Optical Cable by Corning" (the cable is future-proofed as they work with TBolt 1 & 2 as well!) and then just daisy-chaining using cheap copper Tbolt ones:
http://www.corning.com/CableSystems/OpticalCablesbyCorning/products/thunderbolt.aspx

UK peeps: these are not distributed in the UK until August 2014, but I have seen them on Ebay for £500 (yep, pricey, but worth it if needed).

Last edited:

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois

They do not have similar failure rates..

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089...eals-the-most-reliable-hard-drive-makers.html

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Can we drop the "this brand is better than that brand" as it gets most people absolutely nowhere!
Most drives come with 3-5yr WARRANTY, so they can be replaced for free by the manufacturer, and more importantly RAID is not backup, so regardless of drive fails, you should have two (or more) completely separate storage units in case of catastrophic failure of the RAID itself.

This tit-for-tat debate is getting seriously boring and irrelevant. :rolleyes:

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Can we drop the "this brand is better than that brand" as it gets most people absolutely nowhere!
Most drives come with 3-5yr WARRANTY, so they can be replaced for free by the manufacturer, and more importantly RAID is not backup, so regardless of drive fails, you should have two (or more) completely separate storage units in case of catastrophic failure of the RAID itself.

This tit-for-tat debate is getting seriously boring and irrelevant. :rolleyes:

Exactly. This is a miss by most people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.