Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Still don't see how any rational, decent person can support Amazon given their scumbag company policies.....

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I hope you are getting Amazon Prime for their shipping and not for their streaming. The Amazon Prime shipping can be good but the Amazon Prime free streaming catalog is very poor.

I find it very satisfying. It's just as good as Netflix IMO and better than hulu plus.

----------

Still don't see how any rational, decent person can support Amazon given their scumbag company policies.....

What scumbag policies?

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I hope you are getting Amazon Prime for their shipping and not for their streaming. The Amazon Prime shipping can be good but the Amazon Prime free streaming catalog is very poor.

For the most part, yes. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, and frankly I don't use the video service at this point because right now doing so is inconvenient. But, if ATV had a channel, I'd certainly peruse it.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
For a company that makes no profit, Amazon certainly is trying to completely dominate a lot of business segments.

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop, when Amazon finally has eradicated the competition.

Their business model seems to be undercut everyone else until you put them out of business then monopolise the market by 'political lobbying' to keep everyone else from breaking the monopoly they create. Then squeeze the content providers to try and lower costs in order to make some profit from sales.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
"a company that makes no profit" misconstrues the reality quite a bit. Amazon invests a lot in new markets with subsidizing customers (i.e. Kindle Books until Apple stopped that) and by buying companies and technologies.
Other companies sit on piles of cash without doing much with it, business wise Amazons plan seems more ambitious and promising right now.

T

Lots of companies buy other companies and technologies and invest in R&D/infrastructure but somehow still find a way make a profit.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Meh. I am an Amazon Prime user simply for the free 2-day shipping component. This gives me access to Amazon Instant Video on my iPhone, iPad, and Sony BRAVIA TV. I really haven't been impressed with the content. Not interested in watching Season 2 and Season 3 of a show that's in Season 6 and the movie selection is filled with dated titles I can watch on TBS Saturday afternoons.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Their business model seems to be undercut everyone else until you put them out of business then monopolise the market by 'political lobbying' to keep everyone else from breaking the monopoly they create. Then squeeze the content providers to try and lower costs in order to make some profit from sales.

Sounds like Wal-Mart.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The more the better. The faster cable companies loose power over distribution, the better.

I concur.

I don't care who it is that blows Comcast to pieces as long as someone does it. I was expecting Apple to do it but I'll settle for Amazon or Netflix doing it. Google... I guess would be an improvement over Comcast... Maybe... I'd rather someone did it other than Google.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Since the instant video app is already available on other devices, if Amazon does create their own box, will they take away the app from the Apple app store, etc? I don't think that makes sense. However if they come out with their own box, but leave the app on all the other devices, then what's the point of the box? Maybe it's me, but Amazon creating their own box does not seem to fit their current strategy. But maybe Jeff has some other plan that we don't know yet - something involving small remote helicopters maybe :)

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Incredibly it seems they make very little, therefore pay very little in tax.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/may/16/amazon-tax-avoidance-profits

..massive uproar in the UK not so long ago as they were branded a tax cheat given their billions in turnover, press neglected to highlight that you don't pay tax on turnover only profit.
It always amazes me that people are quick to brand a company a "tax cheat" when in reality they are just following the rules put in place by the government. Until government changes the rules or they are caught red handed actually really cheating on their taxes then the peoples uproar should be with the government and not Amazon, Apple or google or any other large world wide company that legally takes advantage of tax laws to lower their tax exposure. They shouldn't have to give the government one penny more then they have to just like each one of us.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I might be splitting hairs - but the start of the article "In light of recent reports stating that Apple is hard at work on an Apple TV refresh, Amazon is allegedly readying a new Web TV box that would compete with Apple's set-top box and the Roku, according to Re/code" seems a bit off.

Amazon isn't working on a box just because of recent reports about an Apple TV refresh. In fact, Amazon has been working over a year on providing competition to Apple and Roku in the way of some hardware.

The top of the article seems to set the stage that Amazon is responding directly to the more recent rumors of an Apple TV refresh. I think a more honest analysis would be that Amazon, like with their Kindle line, is merely extending their line to further their ecosystem. While Apple TV is certainly popular, there are competing set top boxes which are "bigger fish."

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
Lots of companies buy other companies and technologies and invest in R&D/infrastructure but somehow still find a way make a profit.

Very few that are as aggressive and successful as Amazon. Not saying it is the right thing to do, just that it is part of Amazons strategy to invest every last penny and more. And that Amazon is not a broken company, they do earn money, they just expand a lot.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Quick note: Amazon streaming is NOT on Tivo boxes. Only purchased videos can be watched on tivos.

huntlane

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
wait what? Amazon is a non-profit?

No, just their strategy. They operate with negligible margins to out price their competitors. Occasionally they will generate profits just to make sure they can, but they don't plan on sustained profitability in the near term.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Very few that are as aggressive and successful as Amazon. Not saying it is the right thing to do, just that it is part of Amazons strategy to invest every last penny and more. And that Amazon is not a broken company, they do earn money, they just expand a lot.
Samsung, Google, Intel, Microsoft, etc. all spend more on R&D/infrastructure than Amazon does. Of course they're in different industries that have higher margins. One of my problems win Amazon (or at least the people who support it's valuation) is this idea that they could be raking in the profits if they wanted to and that when the time comes they can just flip a switch and the profits will start flowing. Thing is Amazon supporters have been saying this for years. At what point does someone call their bluff and say "show me the profits"?

----------

No, just their strategy. They operate with negligible margins to out price their competitors. Occasionally they will generate profits just to make sure they can, but they don't plan on sustained profitability in the near term.

And near term basically equals Amazon's entire existence.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Not surprising at all. More competition is good. We need it. Just as iOS and Android need each other. Without the other, there is no one pushing to be better than the other and both going back and forth trying to one-up the other. This only benefits the consumer. If there is only one player, they don't have to do anything to push for.

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
The more the better. The faster cable companies loose power over distribution, the better.

I don't care who it is that blows Comcast to pieces as long as someone does it. I was expecting Apple to do it but I'll settle for Amazon or Netflix doing it. Google... I guess would be an improvement over Comcast... Maybe... I'd rather someone did it other than Google.

...just as ISP's are fighting against streaming content.

http://consumerist.com/2014/02/11/netflix-streaming-speeds-getting-worse-for-comcast-and-verizon-fios-customers/

Another device to allow more convenient streaming is just another service for ISP's to throttle.

MrMichaelJames

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Amazon, please keep it open to run apps like Plex. Thanks for listening.

And XBMC. I want to be able to do local streaming without transcoding. Oh just because its from Amazon let Netflix put their app on it as well. I need to have ALL streaming applications available from a single box or I am not buying it. I refuse to have multiple boxes for this streaming stuff when they are all basically the same hardware.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Of course all of this goodness is only available to certain countries anyway... in Canada, for better or for worse, Amazon is simply not an option.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Since Apple have repeatedly said that the Apple TV is "just a hobby", it's safe to say that they are not really in this race.

It will be much more interesting to observe the products from companies who take this market seriously: Amazon, Microsoft (Xbox One), just to name the big players who are already shipping real products - and not just publishing their "hobbies".

Winni - Apple has shifted its tune - Cook saying it is an area of intense interest. Of course he keeps talking about that pipeline full of exciting products :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.