Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mchnc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2012
iPhone 5 thinness can vary between 7.40...7.85 millimeter according to published dimensional drawing so up to 0.45 millimeter screen popping is probably ok. Geniuses might have an iGauge to check that thinness is within tolerance.

Kron

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
Bare Handed Bending of iPhone 5!

You can't do this to either hardened Aircraft Grade aluminum or extruded hardened aluminum, like on iPad with rigid frame. Only die cast aluminum w/ impurities have the porosity and softness to bend and not hold anodization, like iPhone 5 and iPad Mini!!! ....I expect Apple to go to something a lot more durable on the next iPhone. Like Polycarbonate Plastics...... like SAMSUNG!!! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZiT8AlhUMQ

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
You can't do this to either hardened Aircraft Grade aluminum or extruded hardened aluminum, like on iPad with rigid frame. Only die cast aluminum w/ impurities have the porosity and softness to bend and not hold anodization, like iPhone 5 and iPad Mini!!! ....I expect Apple to go to something a lot more durable on the next iPhone. Like Polycarbonate Plastics...... like SAMSUNG!!! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZiT8AlhUMQ

haha he bent it easily. Why o why cant people understand that this phone, while its beautiful, is a total fail when it comes to durability and build quality materials

11bE5

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Spokane Wa
This completely dumb video posting !! Why in the hell would you intentionally Bend di oh see how much for e he used to bend it I have sat on my iPhone 5 and not once has it been bent ! This proved nothing but that dumb people are bored with their lives.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not a Nokia you can't.

Maybe he is one of the beefy guys that crumbles bricks, bends railroad spikes, etc. with his bare hands for show at the fair. ;)

In any case, I think the average user can't just take any old smartphone and bend it with their bare hands. Hey, I could be wrong. Maybe there should be a smartphone bending contest, much like their are pie eating contests at, you guessed it, the fair!

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I'd like to see someone bend an iPhone like that when its fully intact, not with the screen popped off.

FerFace

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2013
The 4 was made out of steel and glass. The 5 is aluminum. Steel is one of the strongest and hardest materials available. Aluminum is the second most abundant material in the world and is weaker and probably softer than most plastics used to make phones. The aluminum bak is definitely softer an weaker than the glass on a 4.
I highly doubt anyone posting here, if anyone at all could bend a 4 with their hands- it's like a steel reinforced rock- which is why I like it. Not only could I sit on it if I kept it in my back pocket, but I can keep it in my front pocket at work, where it finds itself in between my leg and heavy materials (lumber, logs, heavy containers) as I use my legs to help lift and support things, I also lean my body weight against my leg on occasion. The iPhone 4 is bullet proof; beautifully made of top quality modern materials, with one downside, you need a bumper if you want to get away w dropping it all the time.
The only redeeming qualities of aluminum for this application are its ability to dissipate heat and the fact that it is cheap and easy to work with.
Nice job apple. Let me know when you make a phone of something better than a plastic Samsung.

Teaface

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2014
Woke up this morning reached for my iphone 5 which was on the bedside cabinet. To my surprise the phone was hot and upon futher inspection bent. It was fine when I went to sleep it wasn't plugged into a charger overnight. I phoned my local apple store who when I explained my phone had somehow bent and come apart at the volume buttons. I was told it was an expanding battery problem and if I took the phone back it would be replaced.

Biancaelizabeth

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2014
So I didn't sit here and read every other comment because frankly I have better things to do... But straight up I can say I take amazing care of my phone because I know if something were to happen to it id have a break down.
My phone always has a case on it be it a jelly case or a hard plastic & I never put it in my back pocket (let alone sit on it) & one day I went to my store asked why my battery was having some troubles that day he told be why blah blah blah & then he mentioned that my phone was bent! (Not a huge amount but if placed on a flat surface it wobbles like an uneven table)

Now there is now way you can say that the bending is from my poor treatment of my phone!
iPhone 5s are made out of soft metals & soft glass things happen like it will over heat causing the metal to expand & bend then when cooling down it doesn't shrink up as much as it should causing it to stay bent!

So stop accusing people of doing stupid **** with their phones when **** just happens!

& really who the hell records them self opening a phone & like I said **** happens without people noticing that is why there's no videos!

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
Shame on you apple! I have been an avid Apple fanboy for years. I have owned all iterations of the iPhone except the iPhone 4. I have always believed in your products. I have sold five times as many of your products by word of mouth than I have bought, and believe me, I have owned pretty much anything with your logo on it that has been produced in the last eight years. You were always a little bit behind the cutting edge, but I always bought your products because they simply worked. Under the reign of Steve Jobs you did a superb job ensuring your products became extensions of the human body, synchronously living our day to day lives with us, device in hand.

Then I bought the iPhone 5. From the first second, I was a proud owner of a new idevice. It immediately was placed in an Otterbox, where is stayed between cleanings. When in the car or at work, it sat in a dock. When carrying it, it was religiously carried in my front pockets. Then when I took it out to clean last week, I noted my phone was bent. Everything works fine. Except for the contour of my leg impressed into the phone. It is immaculate.

After a few minutes of searching the web, I was overcome by the numbers of blog posts, discussion board posts, and even youtube videos chronicling the woes of once happy iPhone 5 owners who are distraught about the conditions of their 200 to 400 dollar relatively new phones which are bent. After visiting the apple store and being shunned by the manager, I was beginning to get the feeling that this was not the same apple company that would stand behind their product as they did in the past. Apple's official response is that they do not cover physical damage resulting from abuse to the phone. They do not consider their flubbed soft phone as a manufacturer's defect. I was offered to repair my phone for 229 dollars. It's not that I don't have the money. I refuse to pay that on principle. Again, shame on you apple!

After speaking with management in their technical support department, I was offered a 50 dollar credit to use at the apple store on a new product. I was essentially told they apologized for my inconvenience, but there is nothing they can do. And oh by the way, you can't use the certificate towards the repair.

So at they point, I have lost all faith in Apple. I have seen the gap between Apple and Android rapidly closing. The apple ecosystem it seems has simply grown too large. They have forgotten the roots laid by Steve Jobs in which the bottom line was user experience, not profit. The adage, if you build it, they will come was what made you the juggernaut you have become.

My stable of Apple products is getting old. It is time to replace my original iPad and the seven year old iMac in the office isn't too far behind. Unfortunately, the sour Apple which I have recently eaten has me looking towards Google and its products. Their cloud based products are getting pretty cool and my 1000 plus employee company has just made that jump also. Migration is making more and more sense. It is no wonder your stock price has gone down around 400 dollars a share and your earnings remain flat.

I am putting this out there in the hopes it is actually read and heard. Leaving you, Apple, it one of the hardest breakups of my life. I hope you change, I do! I would still take you back if you got back on track, only I am skeptical that you won't be able to see past the arrogance you have developed now that you are too big for your britches.

Thanks for this each paragragh gave me bigger chuckle.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Now there is now way you can say that the bending is from my poor treatment of my phone!
iPhone 5s are made out of soft metals & soft glass things happen like it will over heat causing the metal to expand & bend then when cooling down it doesn't shrink up as much as it should causing it to stay bent!

If the phone was getting hot enough to warp, it would burn you. There is no way the phone bent itself.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Not heard of this issue before, and I find it a little hard to believe. I used a 5 for over a year and never had a issue with bending, and it's been in and out of my pockets. I was was it just a poor batch of aluminum?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The only way a phone can bend is if you sit on it with it in your back pocket.

Aluminium phones don't just bend themselves. You can't blame Apple's QC for that.

The fact that pseudocain says:

When carrying it, it was religiously carried in my front pockets.

Tells me it's nonsense. Why would anyone say this statement?.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
haha he bent it easily. Why o why cant people understand that this phone, while its beautiful, is a total fail when it comes to durability and build quality materials

I beg to differ. Aluminum bends - period. It's a soft metal. It's also excellent when absorbing sudden impacts unlike stainless steel. Perfect for a phone. All my iPhones from 3G to 5S have held up beautifully. Never an issue. Not sure what you're doing to your phone bud.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
I do not like the iPhone 5 design. I hope the iPhone 6 or whatever they call it uses the same material the iPhone 4/4S had. Hopefully it will have a larger screen as well.

Lealou

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
Ok. I have recently purchased a new iPhone 5 16GB in black. And a few days after using it and loving it I discovered all the commotion over "Bend Gate" and people reporting that their iPhone's had bent.

But the thing is.. there is literally isn't a single video on the internet that show's how easy the phones bend by hand or just in general. All I have seen are pictures of the bent phones.

Not calling you guys liars But I have just watched a video of a guy running over his iPhone in a Car and it didn't bend... So how on earth am I supposed to believe that your phones have "arrived bent" or "bend in your pockets"

And until I see a video of somebody actually bending an iPhone with their bare hands or and un-boxing video where the phone is bent right after taking the shrink wrap off the box as brand new. Then whos to say that everybody with a bent iPhone who said "they bend easy" or "it arrived bent" isn't just ********ting their way out of the fact they did something really stupid with their phone or haven't looked after it correctly.

I'm annoyed that people are even saying these sort of things because it Builds a very negative view of the phone and is steering people away from what is a beautifully crafted and very durable device, with excellent support and functionality

Does anybody have the balls to go to an apple store and video themselves bending an iPhone 5 by hand? or is willing to somehow get their hands on an iPhone 5 and do a bending test?

Because until I see video proof of how "easily" they bend then I am not going to believe it. and Everyone who has a "bent" iPhone 5 isn't looking after their phones.

RANT OVER.[/QU

Lealou

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
iPhone does bend. Doesn't bend as in floppy!!! But I took my phone back today to apple store under warranty cos volume buttons not working.. I didn't realise until in shop that my phone had actually bent next to volume buttons.. They wanted £200 to replace it.. I had no idea it was bent and it's always in a case only had it 8 weeks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.