Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has purchased Burstly, the company behind the popular iOS beta testing platform TestFlight, according to TechCrunch. The site says its sources have "pointed in Apple's direction" and that though it's just a rumor at this point, it would make a good fit.

TestFlight said on Wednesday that it would be discontinuing its Android product and it will no longer take new customers for its beta testing SDK -- existing customers can continue using TestFlight, however.

testflight.png
Odder still is how these product announcements - which greatly impact the company's mobile developer user base - have been handled so far. There's been no mention of them on the TestFlight changelog, for example, no company blog post, no emails, and no mention of them on social media channels - that is, unless you count the replies to confused developers from @testflightapp, the company's main Twitter account. Developers are being asked to reach out directly to the company via an email form instead of being given a more useful public reply.
There are a number of different beta testing iOS platforms, including TestFlight and HockeyApp, though a number of larger developers have created their own testing platforms through Apple's Enterprise distribution program.

Update: Apple confirmed the purchase to Re/code, but did not disclose pricing.

Article Link: Apple Acquires 'TestFlight' iOS Beta Testing Platform With Burstly Purchase

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
This could be great, hopefully Apple will use their product to make a top notch first party solution for iOS testing

AMDeeb

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
Lebanon
Where's the: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans." ? :apple:

greenl1ght

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2014
Oh god no... I hope this isn't true... TestFlight is the only thing that made deploying beta versions of iOS apps bearable. Now I expect them to ruin it by adding pointless restrictions.

My company is suffering REALLY BAD from the 110 devices/developer restriction for developer accounts (try testing In-App purchases, iCloud, Keychain, push notifications etc for a top-50 app with any of the workarounds people usually propose). If TestFlight added the same restriction, it would make our lives even worse.

I love Objective-C and the Cocoa Touch APIs, but Apple's dev tools (does anyone use the built-in git support in Xcode?) and dev infrastructure (provisioning.profiles.need.to.die.) are really developer-hostile. Their restrictions are strangling us.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Oh god no... TestFlight is the only thing that made deploying beta test of iOS apps bearable. Now I expect them to ruin it by adding pointless restrictions.

My company is suffering REALLY BAD from the 110 devices/developer restriction for developer accounts (try testing In-App purchases, iCloud, Keychain, push notifications etc for a top-50 app with any of the workarounds people usually propose). If TestFlight added the same restriction, it would make our lives even worse.

I love Objective-C and the Cocoa Touch APIs, but Apple's dev tools (does anyone use the built-in git support in Xcode?) and dev infrastructure (provisioning.profiles.need.to.die.) are really developer-hostile. Their restrictions are strangling us.

A company should use enterprise account to distribute beta apps. It has unlimited amount of device, no restriction at all. Was there any specific reason your company don't use it?

greenl1ght

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2014
A company should use enterprise account to distribute beta apps. It has unlimited amount of device, no restriction at all. Was there any specific reason your company don't use it?
Just to begin with, you can't test in-app purchases.

And an Enterprise account can't also sell software on the App Store. And you need a unique DUNS number for the Enterprise account. So we'd have to create a whole new company just to get a second DUNS number for the testing account. Apple's policies make NO sense.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Apple doesn't have a good track record of turning their purchases into useful products for quite a while. Shame I enjoyed test flight.

automachete

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Yeah, this is pretty nuts. TestFlight has also deprecated its own iOS SDK, too.

http://help.testflightapp.com/customer/portal/articles/1452760

If your team has never uploaded a build with an SDK or you are a new TestFlight user then you will not be able to incorporate any version of the TestFlight SDK. You will be asked to remove the SDK from your build and re-upload.

If you've used their SDK before, they'll allow you to continue using it as long as you update to v3, which is a rather neutered version, if you ask me.

https://www.testflightapp.com/sdk/ios/release_notes/3.0.0/

Remove checkpoints, feedback, and logs from production apps.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
Oh god no... I hope this isn't true... TestFlight is the only thing that made deploying beta versions of iOS apps bearable. Now I expect them to ruin it by adding pointless restrictions.

I think this is the whole reason they purchased them?

JohnSep7

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2014
It seems that TestFlight might be going down with this: there is definitely no use for Apple to maintain it as a service...

We have already switched to diawi for our test deployments some months ago.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Bummer - I saw that pic and was hoping Apple was going to transform general aviation with user-friendly, crash-proof, pilot-less aircraft... Seriously, aviation is in the stone age. We need the "Apple" of aviation / air travel!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
And an Enterprise account can't also sell software on the App Store. And you need a unique DUNS number for the Enterprise account. So we'd have to create a whole new company just to get a second DUNS number for the testing account. Apple's policies make NO sense.

A corporation can have both a standard iOS company developer account and an Enterprise account under the same DUNS number. Lots do.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I don't get it. The only reason TestFlight exists is to conveniently work around the restrictions in Apple's tools. Why in the world would Apple want their knowledge? They could just lift the restrictions or build in beta testing directly into their tools. Neither is helped by TestFlight's outside knowledge of Apple's APIs.

I suspect they are more interested in Burstly and implementing app analytics. TestFlight will probably just bycatch that will needlessly die. :(

MarioG

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2014
Slovenia
Apple confirms acquisition of something what might actually be useful, nothing happens, the stock continues traditional friday selloff. Fb disgustingly overpays an app that no one sane ever needed and the whole WallStreet applauds. :confused::mad:

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011

You are not allowed to distribute outside of your organization using Enterprise certificates/profiles. We manage an Enterprise account for all of our pre-release with internal employees but also a standard Team Developer account to do ad-hoc distribution to beta customers. Oh, and you can't distribute to the AppStore with the Enterprise account either.

greenl1ght

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2014
A corporation can have both a standard iOS company developer account and an Enterprise account under the same DUNS number. Lots do.
OK add "clueless reps and useless support docs" to the deficiencies in Apple's developer support then

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
Well this explains the SDK policy changes, which were confusing me earlier. I only just started using TestFlight again after using HockeyApp for a previous client. I guess its back to HockeyApp in the near future then (unless Apple does something good with TestFlight and announces it at WWDC).

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Where's the: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans." ? :apple:

They confirmed yes they bought it. After they bought it. They didn't talk about their interest in perhaps buying it, they didn't allow the company to talk about it either. They haven't said why they want it or how much they paid. Although the why seems a tad obvious.

----------

Just to begin with, you can't test in-app purchases.

Did you not know these policies when you started. And yet continued rather than going to say Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.