Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
i installed a tempo pro SSD based striped RAID boot recently into a mac pro 5,1 and i'm having the same issue with the machine becoming unresponsive. i can force this by running a heavy 3d rendering and at the same time opening up a few other applications using memory and boot volume in an intense way like photoshop or mail. after 5 - 7 hours i'm getting exactly the same symptoms as you described......

....any tip how to resolve this problem? i'm gonna contact sonnet next week to see if this can be fixed, otherwise i will try to get the money back and buy into the OWC solution.

cheers

markus

I too actually experienced the full, complete hang/crash the other day. I had to force reboot my machine. However, my 09 Mac Pro refused to reboot fully. Since I am running a non-EFI GeForce card, all I had was two black screens. My Mac wouldn't go past the grey screen (which I couldn't see).

I confirmed it WAS in fact the grey screen by plugging my screens into my old GT120 card.

I went through a process of resetting PRAM, unplugging and replugging PCI cards and various other things. Eventually it righted itself and decided to boot back into my RAID volume on the PCI Card. But it honestly gave me the spooks.

Been working fine ever since, but still had me worried.

I actually emailed Sonnet a few moments ago regarding the two outstanding issues with this card:

1. Not being able to install OSX onto a RAID volume while the drives are directly on the card, and..

2. Not displaying boot volume selections when holding option during startup.

Hopefully with all of us emailing them, something will come of it. Otherwise, the card is performing great and my dual Samsung's are working very nicely, making short work of my daily tasks!

Scott

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
I too actually experienced the full, complete hang/crash the other day. I had to force reboot my machine. However, my 09 Mac Pro refused to reboot fully. Since I am running a non-EFI GeForce card, all I had was two black screens. My Mac wouldn't go past the grey screen (which I couldn't see).

I confirmed it WAS in fact the grey screen by plugging my screens into my old GT120 card.

I went through a process of resetting PRAM, unplugging and replugging PCI cards and various other things. Eventually it righted itself and decided to boot back into my RAID volume on the PCI Card. But it honestly gave me the spooks.

Been working fine ever since, but still had me worried.

I actually emailed Sonnet a few moments ago regarding the two outstanding issues with this card:

1. Not being able to install OSX onto a RAID volume while the drives are directly on the card, and..

2. Not displaying boot volume selections when holding option during startup.

Hopefully with all of us emailing them, something will come of it. Otherwise, the card is performing great and my dual Samsung's are working very nicely, making short work of my daily tasks!

Scott

I just upgraded to raid 0 with 2x velocity X2 / samsung 840Pro combinations and I'm seeing the same result on the 1st boot. Have you continued to see the issue?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Looks like enough people complained that Sonnet recognizes the problems ... but instead of fixing them, they just added them to the product FAQ: :mad:

http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=457&expand=_a2_b760&action=b758#b758

758 Can I install Mac OS directly onto SSDs (or an SSD RAID) on the card? Will I get a recovery partition? Jul-15-13
Yes, you can install a bootable Mac OS for Mac Pro 3,1 and newer on a single SSD, a RAID of 2 SSDs, a RAID of 4 SSDs (using two Tempo SSD Pros), or a RAID of 6 SSDs (using three Tempo SSD Pros). In order to get a recovery partition, you need to run the Mac OS installer and it will create the recovery partition automatically. The recovery partition will not be created if you try to copy the OS from an existing drive (using Carbon Copy Cloner, for example).

760 Tempo SSD bootable drives don't show up when I option-boot. Jul-15-13
Tempo SSD and Tempo SSD Pro bootable drives show upon an option-boot in the Mac Pro 3,1 and 4,1, but do not show up in the Mac Pro 5,1. The recommended workaround in a Mac Pro 5,1 is to boot from another drive, and then select the Tempo SSD volume in the Startup Disk System Preferences and restart.

MattDSLR

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2011
Canada
Hi all,

I recently added a 960GB OWC Accelsior SSD RAID PCI card to my 09' Mac Pro. I wasn't 100% happy with the results so I decided to also buy and test a Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro PCI Card with 2 x Samsung SSD 840 Pro 512GB Drives in RAID 0.

The benchmark results are in and the Sonnet wins. I was able to hit over 1040MB a second and across the board, it is faster at every block size for both read and write. To get the best results for small and large files, I set the RAID 0 block size to 16KB. While this yielded slightly lower large transfer speeds over a block size of 32K, it gave better overall speeds for smaller files 4K, 8K, 16K etc. With 16K block sizes on the RAID, I am getting just over 1000MB a sec with the largest transfers.

I am pasting the results comparison between the Accelsior and the Sonnet below. Only in a very small area does the Accelsior beat the Sonnet/Samsung combo.

Enjoy :)

Thank you I was wondering what card to get
I'm sold now

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
758 Can I install Mac OS directly onto SSDs (or an SSD RAID) on the card? Will I get a recovery partition? Jul-15-13
Yes, you can install a bootable Mac OS for Mac Pro 3,1 and newer on a single SSD, a RAID of 2 SSDs, a RAID of 4 SSDs (using two Tempo SSD Pros), or a RAID of 6 SSDs (using three Tempo SSD Pros). In order to get a recovery partition, you need to run the Mac OS installer and it will create the recovery partition automatically. The recovery partition will not be created if you try to copy the OS from an existing drive (using Carbon Copy Cloner, for example).

Umm, is this really correct - it seems from experiences posted in this thread that running the OS installer on drives attached to the Sonnet card(s) won't work. Or has that problem vaporised?

i-rui

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
Cliff's Notes: The Syba SD-PEX40068 uses the Marvell 88SE9230 chip (Superior to the RocketRAID 640L, 642L, 644L's 9235 chip), runs at PCIe 2.0 x4 speeds, doesn't slow down boot time, and requires no driver. Sleep works with it!

First off, my system specs:
2009 Mac Pro -> Mid 2010 FW
Xeon W3690 @ 3.46GHz - Hex Core
24GB Corsair 1333MHz ECC Registered
GeForce 680 GTX with EFI FW - 2GB
Sandisk Extreme SSD 240GB and Intel 80GB 3G SSD on Syba SD-PEX40068
2 Western Digital Red 2.0TB 3.5" drives in internal slots
IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle
Orico PFU3-2P Dual Port USB 3.0 adapter (working with Generic UHCI kext)

OSes:
Mountain Lion 10.8.4 (Sandisk)
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate (Intel)

I've tried an Apricorn X1, which worked, but was crashy with my system setup - Read speeds were limited right at 300MB/second, and it only supported one drive. And froze my system. A lot.

I tried a RocketRAID 642L - This required me to reflash the firmware to an EFI 64 one in Windows, meaning I had to boot Boot Camp/Win7 first. Also, OS X needed a driver installed prior to being able to boot to it, meaning you could not install the OS to it - It just doesn't see the controller prior to the driver being installed. With my Sandisk in the internal bay, I had roughly 2.5 load icon spins while booting. After the RocketRAID, I had over 12 spins before it loaded. Once it did load, speeds were good, but it wasn't a very good solution.

Enter the Syba SD-PEX40068 - A no-name brand that's sold on Amazon but produces some good cards. This card uses a Marvel 88SE9230 HARDWARE RAID chip, unlike the 9235 in the RocketRAID. Here are the benefits:
1) Mount 2 2.5" SSDs on-board - with 2 internal SATA 6G ports that you can run elsewhere or convert to eSATA - Your call.
2) Does not delay OS X boot - Only get 1/2 of a load icon spin now vs 2.5 internally, and system doesn't sit at a black screen forever. Maybe about 8 seconds.
3) If Boot Camp volume is connected to the controller, changing your boot volume in either OS works. Have not tried mixing it up.
4) No driver needed in OS X. OS X sees the drives immediately, even when booting from the OS USB Key/Disc
5) No driver needed for Windows, but one comes with it, with a RAID utility.
6) Oh yes. Sleep WORKS. Have tried it multiple times without any failures.
7)$43.60 at Amazon! - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BG0NMNA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bad:
1) Takes 2 PCIe slots. I put an eSATA 2-port connector beside it, so I'm making use of my "useless" slot.
2) Needs a floppy power connector. So I used the Monoprice cable here, and plugged it into a free internal drive bay's power - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E2XQQY/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3) It's not free?

Unknowns:
I have yet to try it in SW or HW RAID-0 configurations. Evidently, you need Windows installed to set up a HW RAID, and I may end up doing that later. If I do, expect benchmarks here.

Ordered a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB drive that I'm going to run on it when it arrives, and will update with benchmarks. Then may pick up another and run HW RAID-0 on it and see how it runs. My old Sandisk isn't the fastest drive in the world, but I was getting ~278MB reads internally, ~300MB reads with the Crapricorn X1, and ~440 with the RocketRAID 642L (At $100 without any provisions for mounting SSDs)

I've also only had it in my system for a few hours. We'll see how it works over the upcoming weeks/months.

Hope this helps some of you guys out there who want to spruce up your Mac Pro on the cheap.

Cheers,
Geoff

P.S. - Below is a bench with my Sandisk Extreme 240. Will update with the Samsung when it arrives.

any updates on this? how fast was the 840 pro? have you tried anything with a raid set up?

eager to hear the results

<!DOCTYPE>

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
Is the performance worth the $1000 upgrade?

I've been wanting to upgrade my boot drive to SSD for sometime now. But is the performance upgrade worth the cost.

Current prices in Amazon.
- PCIe Controller Card: Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro PCIe Card $234.99
- SSD: Samsung Electronics 840 Pro $419.99 x 2

Total: $1074.97

I've made several upgrades to my 2009 Mac Pro and I have always justified the expense since I make a living using it. I'm a designer and web developer, and I have no performance complains for my Mac. I'm getting into digital photography and this is why I'm debating the SSD upgrade.

My Current 2009 Mac Pro Specs:
- 2 x 2.26GHz Quad-Core CPUs (8 Cores total)
- 4 x WD VelociRaptor 1TB HDD's (10,000 RPM)
- 96GB of ECC Memory from Crucial
- NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2 GB GDDR5

This Mac Pro configuration performs everything and anything I can think of. But I would like a faster OS drive. I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro with the new SSD for my wife and I love how fast SSD response for every day task.

So my question is to any one who has made this upgrade, was the performance worth the $1000 price tag. Should I just save my $1000 and upgrade to a new Mac Pro? I would love to extended the use of this Mac Pro for another 2 years if possible.

Thanks in advance.

sauria

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2001
Texas, USA
I can also confirm that the Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro Boots just fine into Mac OS X with the two Samsings in RAID 0. It also booted fine with just a single SSD on it.

Good to know, thanks!

analog guy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
I've been wanting to upgrade my boot drive to SSD for sometime now. But is the performance upgrade worth the cost.

Current prices in Amazon.
- PCIe Controller Card: Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro PCIe Card $234.99
- SSD: Samsung Electronics 840 Pro $419.99 x 2

Total: $1074.97

I've made several upgrades to my 2009 Mac Pro and I have always justified the expense since I make a living using it. I'm a designer and web developer, and I have no performance complains for my Mac. I'm getting into digital photography and this is why I'm debating the SSD upgrade.

My Current 2009 Mac Pro Specs:
- 2 x 2.26GHz Quad-Core CPUs (8 Cores total)
- 4 x WD VelociRaptor 1TB HDD's (10,000 RPM)
- 96GB of ECC Memory from Crucial
- NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2 GB GDDR5

This Mac Pro configuration performs everything and anything I can think of. But I would like a faster OS drive. I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro with the new SSD for my wife and I love how fast SSD response for every day task.

So my question is to any one who has made this upgrade, was the performance worth the $1000 price tag. Should I just save my $1000 and upgrade to a new Mac Pro? I would love to extended the use of this Mac Pro for another 2 years if possible.

Thanks in advance.

value ("is it worth it?") is subjective, but what i can tell you is that i bought a sonnet tempo pro SSD + 2x 840 EVO SSDs for my MP3,1. i also bought an accelsior 2. i ran a 840 PRO SSD for the OS.

the RAID0 SSDs on the tempo pro test REALLY fast (940 read, 840 write on my machine). you won't be disappointed. is it worth it? i don't know.

you have 4x1TB drives in your MP (RAID0 = 4TB?). if so, the 2x840s can't really replace that @ 1TB.

if you are just using it for the OS and money is an object, i would suggest simply picking up a single 840 PRO and running that off a spare connector in the optical bay (or getting a velocity solo x2). you will get most of the real-world speed of the tempo pro and you will save a great deal of money.

if you have a need for the speed of the sonnet, you will tend to know it. the OS is not doing big sequential reads/writes, so the advantage of a RAID0 with SSDs is somewhat reduced.

i returned the accelsior because i felt it was quite expensive for lesser performance. for a little bit more money (2 SSDs + tempo pro) i was able to get a solution that gave me more control over drives & upgradability.

i wound up moving the tempo pro SSD into a sonnet echo express iii-d enclosure. it benches quite well on a 2013 iMac (750/640). i will test it on my nMP shortly.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Is the Sonnet Tempo (not pro) also bootable in a MacPro 2009? OWC Macsales says it's only bootable over thunderbold, but I don't have that.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
What i would like to know is how each set up performs after a few months of use, diglloyd is impressed with the fact the performance remains constant as it fills up. Has any one tested this? I need more SSD space so i'm pleased the OP posted this. I already have a 240 OWC PCIE Accelsior if i purchased a second similar drive can two raided drives be raided?

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I have a Radeon 5870 installed in the 1st PCI-e slot and a USB 3.0 esata Card in the 3rd slot. Is it safe to install the sonnet tempo in the 4th slot? Will it not suffer from the heat produced by the Radeon when there is an SSD installed?

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
i just feel this should be posted for reference to see how fast you can go on the cMp with sonnet tempos

Attachments

• 1269233-mac-pro-sonnet-tempo-pro-ssd-840-pro.jpg
    1269233-mac-pro-sonnet-tempo-pro-ssd-840-pro.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,344
  • 1269231-mac-pro-sonnet-tempo-pro-ssd-840-pro.jpg
    1269231-mac-pro-sonnet-tempo-pro-ssd-840-pro.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 988
  • 1269229-mac-pro-sonnet-tempo-pro-ssd-840-pro.jpg
    1269229-mac-pro-sonnet-tempo-pro-ssd-840-pro.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 1269225-mac-pro-sonnet-tempo-pro-ssd-840-pro.jpg
    1269225-mac-pro-sonnet-tempo-pro-ssd-840-pro.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 487
  • 1269227-mac-pro-sonnet-tempo-pro-ssd-840-pro.jpg
    1269227-mac-pro-sonnet-tempo-pro-ssd-840-pro.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 690
Last edited:

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Because i spit hot fire

Attachments

• 1269223-mac-pro-sonnet-tempo-pro-ssd-840-pro.png
    1269223-mac-pro-sonnet-tempo-pro-ssd-840-pro.png
    547.7 KB · Views: 853

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I have a Radeon 5870 installed in the 1st PCI-e slot and a USB 3.0 esata Card in the 3rd slot. Is it safe to install the sonnet tempo in the 4th slot? Will it not suffer from the heat produced by the Radeon when there is an SSD installed?

YorkshrieBoy

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
I also had this problem with the OS X Boot Manager and the Tempo Pro when any bootable SSD was installed on the card (see my previous posts in this thread regarding this). Performing PRAM and SMC reset procedures had no effect. I am using a 2012 5,1 Mac Pro.

However, in the process of trying various configurations of drives, RAID-0 arrays, and PCIe cards ... suddenly the Boot Manager problem resolved itself and started working again. I have no idea what I did to cause this, and it is still working to this day. I have 2 bootable OS X drives in this Mac Pro, one is a RAID-0 SSD on the Tempo Pro card, and the other is a single SSD (now part of a DIY Fusion drive) located in one of the standard drive trays. I also have a bootable Windows SSD in the spare optical bay.

-howard

Has anyone got Boot Camp running Windows7/8 exclusively on one of these cards?
Mac Pro 5,1 hex 3.4G, Radeon 7970 3G graphics so no boot screen =(

Last edited:

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Can you run bootcamp with this set up of SSDs as the boot drive? As in Could I set up a bootcamp partition on the same drive for this purpose?

Thanks!

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Results for OWC's 960GB Mercury Accelsior_E2

I just tested my OWC's 960GB Mercury Accelsior_E2 in my MP5,1/12core/2.93GHz/64GB RAM/Radeon 7950 and I must admit I'm a bit disappointed. The MP is running 10.9.2 (Build 13C1021).

I also will admit that OWC's web site does state up 688 MB/sec for Mac Pros... so my benchmarks below are close to what OWC claims... and of course OWC's card does provide 2x eSATA ports.

BTW... Adding the OWC's 960GB Mercury Accelsior_E2 as a boot volume made a huge, huge improvement to the system's responsiveness, and gives me the same feeling I had when the MP was brand new.

I will be thinking hard about the Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro PCIe Card for $234.99 + 2x OWC 480GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G for $800. Total would be $1,035. I could also drop down to 2x OWC 240GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G for $460, thus reducing total cost to $695.

The OWC's Mercury Accelsior_E2 cost me $900. It works flawlessly, MP sleeps and wakes without issues, boots without issues and is cable of holding an Apple Recovery Partition... but it's performance is a little disappointing at this time. I still have time to return it within the 21 days of purchase.

If the results posted here for the Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro PCIe card are correct then even with the extra $100 for the setup, it seems to be a better choice.

Here are the results using the OWC's 960GB Mercury Accelsior_E2 in my MP5,1/12core/2.93GHz/64GB RAM/Radeon 7950.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 1.33.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 1.33.49 PM.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 327
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 1.38.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 1.38.26 PM.png
    360.1 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Does the Sonnet Tempo still show up as removable drives?

Yes, except the boot disk (only show up as external but not removable), but I don't know how about the disks in RAID.

----------

Is the Sonnet Tempo (not pro) also bootable in a MacPro 2009? OWC Macsales says it's only bootable over thunderbold, but I don't have that.

The answer is YES, but the OWC sales has no idea about that. In fact, I am the person who left comment in the OWC webpage to let the others know that the non Pro card is also bootable internally.

I get the revision B card, but still need to flash the firmware once more before it is bootable.

For your info, my comment there says it greatly affect the boot time, which is WRONG (but I can't edit it). After a SMC and PRAM reset, the boot up time back to normal (in fact, it's quite fast).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.